Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a new Savage Flux

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting a new Savage Flux

Hey everyone, I've just ordered a new Savage Flux HP, 1/8 with Turnigy 2s (x2) 40c 5000mah LIPOs, and a Turnigy Acu-Cel balancer / charger. All stock.

Just wondering what upgrades I should be looking at, considering, etc etc.

I will be using it for some low-end bashing but I'm not one to thrash on it trying to break it and whatnot. I will be running it through trails, some wet spots, but not submerging it at all. There will be some street rips too.

So with that in mind, what do I want to look at? Any thoughts on after market wheels, wheelie bars, axle extension kits, suspension kits and whatnot? Is the power appropriate you think?

I plan on getting this and getting started with the machine, break it in, get a feel for it. But I'm sure in the near future I'll be wanting to beef it up.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice, really appreciate it, and this site. It's a wealth of information.

SSS
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I would say look into a better set of tires. Further than that though the savage is known for being very very tough. One thing to note though, don't go the integy bling rout. Some people have had good luck with integy products, but the overall consensus i have found is that integy products just are not all that great. Im not bashing integy, and im sure people will have had good luck with their products, but most of what i am hearing, and from personal experience, they are just not very good products.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

What tires would you suggest Panda Bear? I've explained what I'll be doing with it...so what do you think?

SSS
Old 01-02-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Looks like my Savage comes with the Warlocks rims (width: 2.2", diameter: 3.3") and GT-2 on/off-road with blocky tread pattern and heavy-duty sidewall teeth (width: 3.4", diameter: 6.3"), for stock tires.

Can someone confirm or not, that the tires are 17mm hex or...?

What is an appropriate upgrade for what I'll be using them for? General ripping around on trails, in parks, street use, etc. What's a good multi-purpose tire that will suit my needs here?

Thanks!

Last edited by SSSusin; 01-02-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I would run the stock tires till you get the feel for it, then move on to better tires and so forth
Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I would run the stock tires till you get the feel for it, then move on to better tires and so forth
+1 the stock tires aren't bad for what all you intend to do.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:34 AM
Tech Regular

The integy rear hub carriers are a good upgrade many people use them.

If you want less handling but soaking up even badder landings a set of terrapin tires are good.

If you din't want to end up with a cd i would get a robinson racing spur gear + slipper. The original slipper was nuthin but crap, frying pads and nut coming loose all the time.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I've had several Savage Flux's. Here's my two cents.

#1 - Velcro straps for battery boxes. I've seen many lipos fly out of the container due to damaged, faulty, or improperly closed latches. There's a newer updated version of the battery boxes now, but I still wouldn't trust them without velcro. $5

#2 - Real 17mm wheel hexes. You will run into one of two problems with the stock flanged wheel nuts- a) they will loosen and the hex will spin and strip out the wheel hub b) they will wear down from removing/reinstalling after several times. See video here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...-4-savage.html I've done this twice and it's my 2nd favorite rc mod ever. $14 total for two sets: http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...c=&pn=ASC89330

#3 - After a while your rear turnbuckles will continuously pop off the end balls, and that's when you will want to upgrade the rear hub carriers to aluminum to eliminate the need for the turnbuckles. Integy's $25 part is sufficient for this application. http://www.tcscrawlers.com/integy-sa...79-silver.html
UPDATE: Today mu buddy just broke my rear diff case/bulkhead. It snapped off where one of the rear turnbuckles attaches. It was stock. I could either replace bulkhead and re-install stock hub carrier setup, or just order this part. Note: The price is now $30.

#4 - After a while you will get tired of doing wheelies and backflips and cartwheels, that's when you will want to go XL length and width for more stability. $55-$60 kit, part# HPI102404. Or you can go with aftermarket TVP's. Sounds like you'd be happy with HPI's kit. Can drill extra rear body holes and continue using stock body.

#5 - The steering servo works out of the box, but it's more suitable for a 1/10 scale rather than 1/8 scale if you ask me. Might want to upgrade to something with more torque, especially if you upgrade to more aggressive tires. Stock HPI SF-50 claims Torque: 266.6oz/in (12kg/cm) @ 6.0V, Speed: 0.18sec/60° @ 6.0V. 350-400oz/in is the sweet spot for a 1/8 MT. No suggestions here, as this could cost $40 up to $150 depending on you.

Always use threadlock on wheel and slipper nuts. Other than threadlock and velcro straps, I think the Savage Flux is ready to bash out of the box. The other things I listed are for down the road.

1/8 truggy tires are fun and easy to find. Huge nitro XL TerraPin tires are fun and lightweight, but I think too big unless you already converted to XL length and width. More aggressive tires like Pro Line Trenchers are fun in grass and off-road, but I would keep them off the asphalt. They make foam tires and belted tires that fit if you want to have something for speed runs. HPI's Phaltline tires wear out pretty fast. The stock GT-2 tires are actually pretty good all-around tires.

Last edited by matt_is_superco; 01-12-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: update#3
Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Wow dude, great info and much appreciated! I will keep this list of information for future upgrades.

I just had my 1/24 battery powered little MT out today with the family and absolutely loved it. I also realized that I love ripping it through trails, over sticks, branches, through puddles and the tall grass. So when it comes to tires I want off-road clearance, that's a big thing. I'm sure I'll have it with the stock set-up, but can you ever have enough clearance? Really?

Thanks again for the info bud, really looking forward to this thing!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Damn double post again!

Last edited by SSSusin; 01-03-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

XL chassis and a steering servo are about all I recommend. It's a solid truck out of the box
Old 01-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Cinnabun, is this the same piece add-on / upgrade that Matt mentions, Item #4?

If so, thanks! Also, will this upgrade lower or raise the overall height of the truck? More or less ground clearance?

Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, when searching out skid plates, some say they are for the Savage or the Savage X? I have a Savage Flux HP. Which skid plate do I want?

Appreciate it.

SSS

Last edited by SSSusin; 01-04-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

It will extend the wheelbase and depending on kit of choise widen the truck by using longer axles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.