Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage Tranny Spur Shaft wobble/play?? >

Savage Tranny Spur Shaft wobble/play??

Savage Tranny Spur Shaft wobble/play??

Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Savage Tranny Spur Shaft wobble/play??

Hi all,
I need some help with my savage's tranny.

There is some front to back play in the spur gear's shaft. I ran it like this for a while and at the end the spur was wobbling all over (Brushless conversion)

So I pulled it apart tonight, and that front to back play allowed the pin to come out of the gears and rotate. Basically that spur shaft (the rod that the spur threads too) had to much play and wobbled out of its housings.

See my video below after I put it back together.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Will the savage flux hp tranny bolt directly to my S-25 chassis?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't think the X tranny fits the older savages, but I can tell you that play is not normal. Most likely one of the E-clips that holds the gears in place is missing. You should take it fully apart to make sure. That shaft has a part number and it also comes with some E clips and a couple pins for the gear. I don't think it comes with an idler gear, however, so definitely make sure what is missing. You can look up the exploded views of the tranny on HPI's website for further assistance in identifying the missing E clip or whatever.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

I should clarify that I've converted it to the flux tranny with the 44T gear from Kershaw Designs.

I thought about the e-clips so I did take it apart last night again...everything seems to be there.

I'll take some more pictures and post up here....but I'm not seeing anything that is missing...as in there's nothing else to put on that shaft (no more holes or indentions for clips).
Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Im afraid I don't know much then. All I can say is look at the exploded views in the manual. If you're sure there's nothing missing then the only other thing is maybe the bearing holding the opposite side of the shaft is missing/damaged or maybe the shaft is not a compatible part.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just shim the shaft so it doesn't wobble.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RepEvox
Im afraid I don't know much then. All I can say is look at the exploded views in the manual. If you're sure there's nothing missing then the only other thing is maybe the bearing holding the opposite side of the shaft is missing/damaged or maybe the shaft is not a compatible part.
Well I'm at a loss then...There's nothing missing that I can tell, the bearing is there and in good shape, and that shaft has never been replaced. See the pictures below. Thanks for your insights though.

Originally Posted by Upbasher
Just shim the shaft so it doesn't wobble.
What's the best way to do this? Because the only way I can figure this would work is to somehow shim it on the back side of the tranny housing. Doing that would mean that the bearing isn't fully seated

Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

ide say shim the shaft as well, ive had to do it alot over the years on many different rigs, the bearings heat up and sink into the casing, the plastic trans case has warped can all add to it.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Well I threw a flat washer behind the bearing, so now the bearing sits roughly half its height above the tranny housing it is normally in. This seems to have taken the majority of the play out of that shaft.

I had a spare 52T spur laying around (since the wobbling killed the 49T). 52 is a little big paired with the 17T spur, and the Moab XL tires, 2150kv....but we'll see how she does this weekend.

Temps on the motor and esc with the 49T spur were only at 110F before she died but it was also only 55F outside too.