Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts >

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

Old 05-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

do you have a pic of what is broken exactly ?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Tech Regular

I could probably take one but its simple what broke. The first run I broke or stripped the ring and pinion as well blew a bearing.
Second run I blew both bearings and stripped the pinion. Running 4s on stock diffs. That is about the only thing stock on the Truck.

I'm now saving to do the 1/8rh hybrid conversion from fast lane. Been told and researched them as bulletproof.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
I could probably take one but its simple what broke. The first run I broke or stripped the ring and pinion as well blew a bearing.
Second run I blew both bearings and stripped the pinion. Running 4s on stock diffs. That is about the only thing stock on the Truck.

I'm now saving to do the 1/8rh hybrid conversion from fast lane. Been told and researched them as bulletproof.
I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with the diffs, especially shimmed and on 4s. My luck was considerably better but I did end up going to FLM hybrids after I found a deal I couldn't refuse. They are great and you'll love them. I have noticed less than favorable reviews regarding the diffs included with the "Combo" bulks though. The included diffs are from Castor Racing and I forget the exact issue people had with them but there was an issue.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with the diffs, especially shimmed and on 4s. My luck was considerably better but I did end up going to FLM hybrids after I found a deal I couldn't refuse. They are great and you'll love them. I have noticed less than favorable reviews regarding the diffs included with the "Combo" bulks though. The included diffs are from Castor Racing and I forget the exact issue people had with them but there was an issue.

Ya I'm not sure either but its all good. What diff are you using with those hybrids that simply drop in and use the stock drive line components, like the traxxas cvd's and revo cups?

I may try one more time on the stock diff and see how my luck turns out but I am definitely saving for the hybrids now.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

The diffs I used were Hyper 8 or 9. I forget which, it was another one of those price mattered more and my LHS made me a deal on them since they gathered the most dust. Nearly any buggy or 1/8 scale diff will fit the Hybrids. The ones I know won't are Ofna LX series diffs, Losi 8ight rear and I'd stay away from the front too, and that's it.

These babies convert the output of any 1/8 diff to the Traxxas style output. You could also buy Traxxas part #5454X and then cut the threads off to make your own. I did this with my Hyper diffs since I had Traxxas cvd's.

One other thing to remember when doing the hybrids is that most 1/8 diffs use an 8mm diameter pinion while Traxxas is 6mm. Also if you have Traxxas center shafts you're basically since 1/8 diff cups are too big for the end of the Traxxas cvd. The play between the Traxxas cvd and the 1/8 drive cup will cause accelerated wear of both. The best solution is getting FLM dog bones and drive cups in the right sizes when you order the bulks if you don't have them already. It's either that or have the 1/8 pinion turned down to 6mm so the Traxxas parts will fit, take your pick.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

So by the sound of it I would need the hybrids, the out drives for the diff and find a diff of my choosing from a hyper 7,8, or 9. I am using the flm center dog bones already. I'm glad to mentioned the lx series will not for cause I had considered those only b.c I had one
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

yup, that's what you need

Last edited by rc_collector; 05-22-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Like I said lots of 1/8 buggy or 1/8 diffs in general will fit. Any of the Hyper diffs, Mugen, Xray, LST, ect. The Hyper diffs are fairly inexpensive and widely available.

The Ofna LX series is uses a larger diameter ring gear and is a bit wider than most other 1/8 diffs, I'm 99% sure it won't fit. If you have one you could try it of course but I wouldn't order any LX diffs until you verify. Losi 8ight rear diffs use an offset pinion and won't work, the 8ight front has a really long pinion that could cause issues so I'd stay away from them. I'd also stay away from the RC8, I know some (if not all) RC8's used the 4:30:1 truggy ratio instead of the standard buggy 3:31:1 ratio. Emaxx diffs are 2.85:1 so even with buggy ratio diffs you'll have to regear the truck with a smaller spur and/or bigger pinion.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 AM
Tech Regular

Okay for the time being I have bought another set of stock gears for the diff and rebuilt it last night. Shimmed it and everything feels good. I checked the front as well and after the truck was fully back together I notice that it was locked up.

However, if I lift the front it rolls fine when the back tires turn on the ground. Same thing happens when I lift the rear and then the front tires turn on the ground but when lifting one end off the ground allowing just one end of the truck on the ground all four spin and the tranny spins as if its okay. Now when I have all four on the ground it is locked up and won't spin.

I think I have put the diff's on the same side causing them to work against each other??? Does that sound right? The front and rear ring gear is on the same side does o e need to be turned to the other side....?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

The first thing Inhought when I started reading was that you have a diff in upside down. Idk what side the ring gears should be on but just prop the truck up with the wheels off the ground and give it a little throttle. Flip he diff for the wheels that spin backwards.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Here she is, have had two successful runs now since I shimmed the diff for the third time seems to be working and simply an error on my part. I'm so happy with it but can't wait to do the hybrid conversion.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Broke a pinion today on the sixth run but so the diff's are holding up I'm so happy with the truck! Time for a RR pinion after running the RR gen3 slipper.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

12.6 pounds with the batteries!! I don't know what a stock emaxx weighs but its seems pretty stout in my opinion. I love this truck. I have RR pinion gear on order and my shocks are my next weakness. Running big bores with 45w and progressive springs but it is bottoming out too easily for me. I have VG racing heavy duty springs on order too maybe this will help but if not, what's next??

Old 05-31-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

massiv thing !

put in much heavier oïl
after all, in the monster truck world, the tires absorb smaller bumps and the shocks absorb the jumps !
Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Well I have the RR pinion and heavier duty springs but the truck is in pieces so I won't get to test it out yet. I will be ordering the flm hybrid bulks by the end of next weekend and a few weeks to get some funds to order some diff's. Then I should have a pretty well built truck to have some fun!! Cant wait!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.