the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts >

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

Old 02-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

I would post pics but it seems difficult on a phone or tablet lol
Old 04-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Well here is an update. I have been working on this truck for a few more this, for everything in as of today being battteries and Rx/Tx so I'll do some miner tweaking and hopefully run this thing beast tmrw. I am assuming the only way to post pics and bids are from a computer, other wise my android devices fail to upload anything to the forum??
Old 04-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Well I have tried to put to runs on the truck. The bec seems to really power the whole truck literally. Turn the power off from ESC and fans and servos still work so would an on/switch be needed to kill everything on the BEC?

Second, run one found out I had a bad battery. The battery never would balance properly while on the charger. Reading 3.8 and 4.3V when pulled from the charger. Manufacturer claimed to cycle battery twice so I attempted a second run and found the truck has shut off about 5mins l8tr and the bad battery( two gens ace 7.4V 50c 5000mAh lipos) reading 1.9V in one cell then shut off. Would not read the second cell. Getting a warranteed battery.

Third run, about 10mind in truck runs crazy, loads of power I love it but starting slipping. I blew a bearing in the rear diff hold the pinion. Then causing teeth grinded down on ring and pinion. So my question is, did I have my mesh too tight for the ring and pinion or did I just have a bad bearing and need upgrade from stock?? I want to avoid 1/8th diff's as of money being a priority ATM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Depending on how it felt before you ran it (only you know that) it could have been a failed bearing or the mesh was too tight. I've been running my T-maxx converted to FLM E-maxx on the Traxxas brushless diffs with the 2200 MMM system on 4S with a few 6S runs and I haven't had any problems yet. Hopefully it stays that way for a while.

As for the BEC, It will always power everything because it's directly connected to the battery. Just unplug it from the battery when your not using it.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

I believe I had a shimming issue with the diff my own fault. But I'll give it a second run and hopefully all is well. Appreciate it....the diff's your using are bone stock? I also have the upgraded aluminum gear for the tranny to eliminate the one plastic gear in there....would this be beneficial to do now or wait till the plastic one strips?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah my diffs are stock. I run 20k in the front and 10k in the rear and I shimmed them but they are the stock diffs. I really wanted to upgrade to hybrid 1/8 diffs but if these aren't broken then I don't see a need to fix it. I also don't use it too much anymore. My Rival and ET48 are much better bashers. I'm not sure on the transmission. Is yours failing? I've never had a problem with the newer style traxxas transmissions. My old Tmaxx needed a gear upgrade but all my Summit trans scalers and my Emaxx have never had a problem.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Okay I ran it again after shimming the diff, it blew again...either a bearing or the gears its self but I haven't tore it apart yet. I haven't heard of many ppl having problems with these diff's especially on 4s, so I don't know what I am doing wrong here??
Old 04-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

The first time it blew the pinion gear had slop in it and it would slide back putting the diff in a bind. So I fixed that this time but only tens mins in a blew it again. I have yet to run a full battery thru it.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'll tell you my process for shimming Traxxas diffs. So far I haven't had a Traxxas diff that needed shims on the bearings supporting the ring gear, the fit in the case is tight. So I would only shim the pinion to the correct depth for proper mesh. Get rid of the Teflon washers and only use metal shims that are just big enough in diameter to contact the inner race of the bearing. I believe they are 8mm OD and 6mm ID.

If memory serves I would generally need 2 or 3 .2mm thick shims between the pinion and the inner bearing. To properly check mesh you must assemble the diff in the outer diff case and install the driveshaft onto the pinion. Then pull out on the driveshaft and turn it to check the mesh. Once the pinion depth is set so the mesh is smooth with the least amount of notchiness you must prevent the pinion from moving in and out. If you can push the pinion into the diff you must add shims between the driveshaft and the outer pinion bearing. Take the driveshaft off of the pinion and add shims until the pinion will no longer move in and out. Of course you don't want to add too many shims here otherwise you'll put pressure on the bearings and possibly cause binding, just enough to minimize movement is fine here. Do these things and the diffs will be as tough as they can be.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Alright I just ripped it all open, I blew another bearing. I'm using the stock revo/maxx bearings tra5117, would a ceramic bearing be the better envestment?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

I've been doing some research and looking into some avid bearings. Steel or ceramics is the question then if I still blow the diff then my option would been then to upgrade To the hybrid diff from fast lane when the cash comes available.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Here is the update....may have taken longer to figure how to load pics than anything lol but here she is!!

Currently broken apart as the stock diff's will not hold even after shimming....

[IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG[/IMG]

[IMG[/IMG]

[IMG[/IMG]

[IMG[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Installed a separate receiver box under the motor to waterproof the external cc bec. That it was genius lol

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

insane ! i want to see this thing fly !!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Ya I have ran it twice so far and its so crazy. I have yet to get a full run cause I blew the rear diff twice so far with it shimmed. So I am saving to do the hybrids from flm. I just picked up a second job so hopefully can do that soon and get a video on here lol. Thanks bro!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.