Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts >

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey guys, I've been MIA for over a year, but my rc bug is starting to itch again, so I'm back. I couldn't help but notice you're doing pretty much what I did 2 years ago, I built a beast emaxx completely from bought parts, no roller to start with. I dug up the link to my build thread... http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...-e-maxxes.html Lots of little detail things there, hopefully you will find some helpful info

Here's the truck... (truck #2 was never finished, I still have all the parts)
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Well actually that's not true, my truck started in this thread... http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ed-t-maxx.html then evolved into the first thread I linked.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Yea I have thought about using those flm bulks but I don't know if I would like to have all the extra aluminum or spending the money on them too, the flm seems expensive. The rear wing is kool too. But I also prefer the classic mt look.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
Well actually that's not true, my truck started in this thread... http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ed-t-maxx.html then evolved into the first thread I linked.
Ya I've seen these threads, pretty amazing trucks man but I just couldn't spend that much for an rc truck and bash it.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Very nice builds sloracer.I had seen your build threads before aswell when I was searching aroud for ideas before I built my maxx.I like those Gorrila maxx battery straps you have on that truck but I cant seem to find them anywhere.The main trouble for me with the flm stuff is postage.It cost me nearly as much in shipping and customs charges as it does for the actual item.I changed my mind on the rpm shock towers and was going to go for rcmonster low profile towers.The towers were 13 each which is a bargain but when I went to buy them the shipping was $42!!!so I stuck with the rpm's.I am not 100% sure about the wing.Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't.I think it looks a lot better with the body off.We will see.

Last edited by martin34; 01-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by martin34
Very nice builds sloracer.I had seen your build threads before aswell when I was searching aroud for ideas before I built my maxx.I like those Gorrila maxx battery straps you have on that truck but I cant seem to find them anywhere.The main trouble for me with the flm stuff is postage.It cost me nearly as much in shipping and customs charges as it does for the actual item.I changed my mind on the rpm shock towers and was going to go for rcmonster low profile towers.The towers were 13 each which is a bargain but when I went to buy them the shipping was $42!!!so I stuck with the rpm's.I am not 100% sure about the wing.Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't.I think it looks a lot better with the body off.We will see.
Ya that's crazy on the shipping but are you having any problems with the rpm towers? Or they just are not low enough?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by martin34
Thanks, and yeah those GorillaMaxx straps were not easy to find back then, I can only imagine now.

That does really suck about customs and shipping charges, really hinders your options.

As for the wing, I feel the same way. I could take it or leave it, but it adds a good amount of protection if you roll. It takes a lot more abuse than the rear body mounts would withstand, admittedly mine is cracked lol but still serves its purpose.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
Yea I have thought about using those flm bulks but I don't know if I would like to have all the extra aluminum or spending the money on them too, the flm seems expensive. The rear wing is kool too. But I also prefer the classic mt look.
Thanks. Yeah this truck was one of those splurge, gotta have it things. I will say that yes the flm bulk setup is expensive, but you'll never have to tear down half the truck to replace a broken bulk. Instead go rpm arms to take the abuse, they are much easier to replace of course. The real selling point for me tho was the 1/8 diffs. Again, I hate tearing down so much of the truck to get to something small.

I am curious as to the trucks weight. I know this is usually a big concern when considering aluminum upgrades. But to be honest, in my hands this truck doesn't feel much different than a 3.3 tmaxx. I'm gonna see what I can do about weighing it later.

EDIT--Well that turned out to be easier than I thought. Fully loaded, batteries, body, etc.. it weighs 11 lbs or just under 5 kilos. Average I am seeing on emaxx threads is between 8-10 lbs. So a little heavier, but nothing too drastic.

Last edited by SloRacer1080; 01-13-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
Ya that's crazy on the shipping but are you having any problems with the rpm towers? Or they just are not low enough?
The rpm towers are fine.I just wanted to run the body as low as I can because I didn't want the wing resting on it.I have since modded the rpm towers so now the body posts fit lower than they did and now the wing sits about 5mil above the body so it looks a lot better.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Yeh I think the Gorrila straps are a no no as I cant fint them anywhere.11 lbs isn't to bad considering its full ali
Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Well I got my W-2 in the mail the other day. I just have to send it off and wait then start the buying process....its killing me!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Tech Adept

Bet you cant wait mate.The maxx is a really nice truck to build.No fiddly little annoying bits.As you know mine is still waiting for a few more bits and I will order some of them on payday.I still cant decide on what motor to go for.A 2200kv like stock or a lower kv and gear it up a bit.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Same here expect I wasn't sure to run the 2200 kV with stock gearing or go with the 2650kv then change the hearing as I found the both for same price ya know..?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Castle is releasing a new sidewinder setup which is the exact mmm and waterproof but a more powerful BEC but it it be worth it or better to run and external bec or use the new sidewinder???
Old 02-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

Well I have parts on order. Should be Jere this weekend and hopefully soon have some pics up in a week or so

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.