Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts >

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 PM
  #31  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Default

Any idea which wheels and tyres you are going to go for?I am thinking maximize 1/2 offset with 3.2 Mashers.Trouble is proline don't make the 3.2 mashers anymore so they are getting hard to find.
martin34 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 AM
  #32  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Default

Ya I'm thinking about running the 3.8 trenchers on desporado wheels or the 3.8 big Joe's on the tech five wheels. Both cost the same so I haven't made my decision yet but I love how they both look. I also believe the trenchers grip better
BuGgYBaShEr.28 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:56 AM
  #33  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Default

Out of the big Joes or Trenchers I much prefer the look of the Trenchers.Big hoes always look to square/flat to me.They dont have any profile.
martin34 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 AM
  #34  
Tech Master
iTrader: (186)
 
rc_collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SouthFL
Posts: 1,864
Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by heeelmooi
Sorry to go off topic, but that is one awesome Maxx Rc_Collector. Those look like Vorza shocks
You are right, they are buggy shocks Vorza, HB, VE8..all fronts.
rc_collector is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 AM
  #35  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 119
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Don't forget about the UE High Voltage Lightning chassis.


It takes any T/E Maxx front and rear end and converts it to a brushless beast.

Here's a pic of the motor trans mount. The double cam allows precise motor adjustment and your mesh will never move.


It accepts any motor up to the huge Castle 1717. This is nearly 1/5scale!


Start with a 4s setup and keep it simple or go balls out and run the 1717.

Yea, it's an expensive kit, but there's a fair bit of coin in the battery trays so we eliminate a few parts, put the batteries up on it's back and call it a starter kit. For bashing you'll never notice the difference in CG and it's a nice clean install.

Black Friday sale on the starter kit is $325 and the full kit is $499 (20% off)

Stay tuned to our forums for the latest information
http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...splay.php?f=78

Link to HVL in the store. Search 'voltage' for all the different configurations.
http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ore/11020.html
MonsterMaxx is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 AM
  #36  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Default

Yeah I like the look of the trenchers I was considering them till I found the big joes which almost look wider idk. But rc_collector_ will those vorza shocks fit the rpm shock towers?? Or since I'm not running as much aluminum but the chassis will the big bores from traxxas with the progressive rate spring be sufficient enough?? Thanks for your help
BuGgYBaShEr.28 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 AM
  #37  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Default

Those shocks also look a bit short do they affect your ride height or ground clearance?
BuGgYBaShEr.28 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM
  #38  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Default

To run them shocks you will need flm towers as they have so many mounting positions.You won't be able to run them with rpm's.The traxxas big ores will be fine with the flm chassi.Thats what I have here for mine with the white progressive springs.The white springs actualy make the shocks look alot fatter which I like.The buggy shocks are somthing I mite do in the future but for now I am going to fit the bigbores.
martin34 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 AM
  #39  
Tech Master
iTrader: (186)
 
rc_collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SouthFL
Posts: 1,864
Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Don't forget about the UE High Voltage Lightning chassis.
Yea, it's an expensive kit
+1 too $$$$.

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
Yeah I like the look of the trenchers I was considering them till I found the big joes which almost look wider idk. But rc_collector_ will those vorza shocks fit the rpm shock towers?? Or since I'm not running as much aluminum but the chassis will the big bores from traxxas with the progressive rate spring be sufficient enough?? Thanks for your help
big joes have zero offset, trenchers X with desperado you have 1/2 offset, tire size are pretty much the same. Those shocks can be mounted on stock shock tower or RPM shock tower you same screws as stock traxxas, you might wan to put a longer screw on the bottom and a nut. I don't like stock traxxas shocks they are weak, caps get blown, shaft get bent, at least get big bores they have aluminum body, caps, and tini coat shafts.

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
Those shocks also look a bit short do they affect your ride height or ground clearance?
They don't affect ground clearance or height, also with FLM shock tower you have multiple mounting options.

you can see them here mounted on the stock shock tower.




UE shocks are a great option too, you can use only 4 if you want with heavier oil and spring.


RC8 Rear shocks


rc_collector is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM
  #40  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,049
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

I had Ofna LX buggy front shocks (similar to UE shocks and not big bore) on my Emaxx build. They were slightly shorter than Maxx shocks, but you could still raise the truck up as high as you wanted. I liked them way better than any Traxxas shocks, much tougher and theres plenty of spring options from Ofna and UE. I'm not 100% but Maxx springs may fit these shocks as well..

Only pic I have of the shocks right now

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Overdriven is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM
  #41  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by rc_collector
+1 too $$$$.



big joes have zero offset, trenchers X with desperado you have 1/2 offset, tire size are pretty much the same. Those shocks can be mounted on stock shock tower or RPM shock tower you same screws as stock traxxas, you might wan to put a longer screw on the bottom and a nut. I don't like stock traxxas shocks they are weak, caps get blown, shaft get bent, at least get big bores they have aluminum body, caps, and tini coat shafts.



They don't affect ground clearance or height, also with FLM shock tower you have multiple mounting options.

you can see them here mounted on the stock shock tower.




UE shocks are a great option too, you can use only 4 if you want with heavier oil and spring.


RC8 Rear shocks


Thanks aqsome pics guys. how are those RC8 rear shocks? they look a bit longer and out of all those shock options you have what do you like the best?

i may still run those big bores from traxxas with the white springs and see how they do...idk seems like a lot of options haha
BuGgYBaShEr.28 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 PM
  #42  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Default

I was considering running the stock servos as they are waterproof but metal gear and I have come across the Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Metal Gear Digital Servo for not much more than the stock one and it pushes more torque over stock. I figured if I ran two of these and pushing close too 400oz is that too much? the stock setup is pushing 250oz so its a bit more...and keep in mind i want waterproof
BuGgYBaShEr.28 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 PM
  #43  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,049
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

There are plenty of options out there thats for sure! When swapping to a buggy shock the issue is trying to find the perfect length. Buggy fronts are almost always shorter than Maxx but some are pretty darn close like the Ofna I used and UE. Buggy rears are always longer which isn't really a benefit. In fact if they're too long the shock can bottom out before the chassis does which can ruin an expensive big bore buggy shock.

The thing you really need to watch for is spring rate. If you look at the Vorza truck its running 8 fronts and even with the shock mounted to the inner hole on the arm the arms are barely above level before adding the Lipo's. Even the RC8 truck with 8 shocks is the same way. Many modern buggies and truggies use pretty soft springs which may not get you the height you want in a monster truck. I know I have the stiffest springs on my 8ight-t and its way softer than I'm used to in an MT with alot of sag. Which is fine for a racing truggy that drags its ass around but not so much for bashing a MT.
Overdriven is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 PM
  #44  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by Overdriven
There are plenty of options out there thats for sure! When swapping to a buggy shock the issue is trying to find the perfect length. Buggy fronts are almost always shorter than Maxx but some are pretty darn close like the Ofna I used and UE. Buggy rears are always longer which isn't really a benefit. In fact if they're too long the shock can bottom out before the chassis does which can ruin an expensive big bore buggy shock.

The thing you really need to watch for is spring rate. If you look at the Vorza truck its running 8 fronts and even with the shock mounted to the inner hole on the arm the arms are barely above level before adding the Lipo's. Even the RC8 truck with 8 shocks is the same way. Many modern buggies and truggies use pretty soft springs which may not get you the height you want in a monster truck. I know I have the stiffest springs on my 8ight-t and its way softer than I'm used to in an MT with alot of sag. Which is fine for a racing truggy that drags its ass around but not so much for bashing a MT.

Ya definitely! I will try the traxxas big bores and use a thicker wt oil with the white springs.....im only running an aluminum chassis so im not adding too much weight
BuGgYBaShEr.28 is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM
  #45  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,049
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
I was considering running the stock servos as they are waterproof but metal gear and I have come across the Savox SW-0231MG Waterproof High Torque STD Metal Gear Digital Servo for not much more than the stock one and it pushes more torque over stock. I figured if I ran two of these and pushing close too 400oz is that too much? the stock setup is pushing 250oz so its a bit more...and keep in mind i want waterproof
Traxxas 2075 servos are not metal gear, they are plastic gears. Lookup replacement gears for it and you'll see. There's no such thing as too much torque when it comes to steering servos, the more the better. 250oz is like the minimum, 400oz sounds about perfect to me.

If you want to really get the most out of your servos though, consider adding an external BEC. The BEC inside the esc will power them fine, but an external BEC won't have voltage drop under load like the esc's internal BEC. I put one on my nephews brushless LST with stock JR590's (88oz rated I think) and set it to 6.1 volts and the difference was night and day. It could still use stronger servos but the truck is so much more responsive and fun to drive now with the external BEC powering the servos.
Overdriven is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.