Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts >

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

the classic flm emaxx and rpm build/comments & thoughts

Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

I just sat down for about 3 hours and put a list together tovbuild one from scratch and I'm including battery's and charger I'm pushing $1000 but it is being built to my liking and in the end I believe very durable. And by building it I will know this thing inside and out ya know.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Yes it will be built exactly how you want it and know it inside out like you say.I presume quite a bit of the $1000 is taken up by the MM system.I will probably use the motor but not the esc as they are way overpriced in my opinion.I will get an xerun 150a esc that cost about 70 and from what I read a lot of people prefer them to the castle esc but its not waterproof like the mm2.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Phase 1 of my brushless emaxx was completed buying all the parts I needed from US chop shops for nearly 50% of the cost fully assembled! however phase 2 has scrapped all the plastic/ traxxas bits and now the truck has: FLM chassis, RPM arms with tru tracks on the rear, hybrid bulletproof diffs, MIP CVDs, Robinson 3GEN slipper and spur, still waiting for a few parts to arrive which is the waiting game but keeps me away from a Strictly Come Bruce Forsyth :-)
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Ya the mmm 2 w/ the esc is waterproof and willing to pay for it and the other items that are rather costly is I plan to purchase at least 2 new lipos but rather have 4 and I have to purchase a charger. Looking at the duratrax 245 dual charge w/ built in balance. That's appr. 280 in batteries and charger. The truck will only be ran @ 4s as I have read to many ppl trying to bulletproof the truck for 6s and I don't think its necessary to move that fast as a basher. I'm also looking at the spektrum dx3c Rx/Tx.

So I have a big bulk of the $ just in electronics off the start but I believe its worth it after its said and done at least I hope
Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

So when you take off the price of the electrics,batteries,charger and radio the actual maxx shouldn't cost to much to build?Carlosfandango that phase one of your maxx was what I was originaly going to do but after looking online I quickly decided it was best to go the flm ad rpm route straight away.i am very tempted to get flm shock towers so I can run a rear wing.Some say don't go ali shock towers as they bend yet others say they have run them for years and never bent one.Hmmm
Old 11-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It's possible to bend aluminum towers, but when you buy good ones it's really hard to do. I've had FLM and new era towers and I never bent them, but I did bend a couple cheapie bulks where the towers attach.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Yah without the electronics and batteries and charger the actual truck I want to build flm and full rpm is pretty cheap. Maybe $300 to $400 and would be a beastly roller rather then buying a roller from eBay and scrapping everything on it. I have spent hours and days researching this truck and will put one together from scratch hopefully during tax time.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

My only worry about building this truck like that from scratch is making sure I have all the right parts and that they fit/align properly. But I have studied the manual and put a complete parts list together I believe I have it all....just need to start spending some $$$
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

www.gas-rc.com is a really useful site if you want traxxas part numbers and pictures.It helped me loads when I was putting my E revo together.$300-$400 for a roller with all the rpm and flm chassi is way better than buying a stock roller like you say.Good to hear the flm towers are strong.i think I will order a set payday.I already have rpm's so if I do bent them its not a problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Wow that's a lot easier then looking back and forth between the manual and online parts then throwing it together on paper. Im glad to see someone agreeing with the idea. I can't wait to start putting together in a few mo. Its built my way and not built off the shelf I feel
Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

Yep its a very useful site when building from the ground up.I cant wait to start building mine either but I don't think I am going to have as many parts as I wanted by Christmas to start my build.I have a flat month with no overtime this month and helping my ex who has my 7 month old with her rent so I wont have much money left for parts this month.i am working 7 days a week at the mo but wont get that money until 20th December but then its to late for the parts to get here for Christmas.Oh well atleast it gives me something to think about and take my mind off things.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
Hey guys, I have been in the buggy nitro world for years and wanting to do the classic emaxx build as I have heard is a beast when its complete. I'm willing to buy the emaxx brushless new and at the same token purchase the film chassis with full rpm bulks, bulk braces, shock towers, a-arms and true track, 3-PC skid, traxxas steel cvds, and trencher tires.
If you going with the FLM chassis, do the FLM bulks too, RPM shock tower are ok, but not as strong as FLM, the bulks, and the chassis are the weak link, but once you start beefing up the truck it gets heavier so you will need better shocks...check out my truck,,,

Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

Nice maxx rc collector.I am going to stick with rpm bulks for now as I already have them but going to go for the flm towers.What buggy/truggy shocks are you running?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Ya I had thought about doing the bulks but I just cant fork out that much more money at the moment but I will try the rpm stuff and seee how it holds. I dont want to dog the truck but be able to have fun and not worry about stuff breaking. I just have to wait till about Feb. till I can start ordering parts and then put together it drivers me crazy to wait but I do all kinds of research so works out good......Im also curious as what shocks your running too rc_collector_ what kind of ride quality does that give you??
Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry to go off topic, but that is one awesome Maxx Rc_Collector. Those look like Vorza shocks I have the longer D8 version on my MT4 which are great.

Back on topic, I haven't heard bad things about the RPM bulks, so indeed would just use them and see how they work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.