Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
just picked up a tmaxx >

just picked up a tmaxx

just picked up a tmaxx

Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 PM
  #1  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
GRIMREAPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 908
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default just picked up a tmaxx

Hey guys i just picked up my first nitro truck a tmaxx 2.5. was just wondering if theres any mush do upgrades besides the 3.3 motor. i all ready have all brand new rpm arms.
GRIMREAPER is offline  
Old 11-02-2013, 09:20 PM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: northwest pa
Posts: 410
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

yea go brushless :0 lol
thake618 is offline  
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GRIMREAPER View Post
Hey guys i just picked up my first nitro truck a tmaxx 2.5. was just wondering if theres any mush do upgrades besides the 3.3 motor. i all ready have all brand new rpm arms.

The 3.3 "engine" is not a must do, it's a must avoid. Don't do anything to it, save your money. Just drive the thing till something fails.
got_nitro is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 AM
  #4  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Upbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 435
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
The 3.3 "engine" is not a must do, it's a must avoid. Don't do anything to it, save your money. Just drive the thing till something fails.
Right on. Drive it till it falls apart, then fix it. 3.3 engine is not a must do. If you want more power I recommend you move up to something like a savage or lst or mgt or something that is made for a big block
Upbasher is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM
  #5  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
GRIMREAPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 908
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thake618 View Post
yea go brushless :0 lol
i would have went back to brushless if i didnt sell all my lipos ands stuff lol
GRIMREAPER is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 AM
  #6  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
GRIMREAPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 908
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Upbasher View Post
Right on. Drive it till it falls apart, then fix it. 3.3 engine is not a must do. If you want more power I recommend you move up to something like a savage or lst or mgt or something that is made for a big block
thanks that wat id like to do this is my first nitro truck so i need to learn how to tune it but that shouldnt be to bad. i just wanted something to bash around with on my free time.
GRIMREAPER is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:44 AM
  #7  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,166
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

If you really want more power look into one of the lrp .28 or .32 engines. Cheap and lots of power, and wil be easier to tune than a 3.3
ThePanda is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 AM
  #8  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Upbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 435
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
If you really want more power look into one of the lrp .28 or .32 engines. Cheap and lots of power, and wil be easier to tune than a 3.3
Not a good idea for a tmaxx 2.5. One of those engines will tear a tmaxx drivetrain to shreds. If you want big block power look into a big block truck.

The trx 2.5 is relatively easy to tune, so you should be good
Upbasher is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM
  #9  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
GRIMREAPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 908
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Is it a nut to upgrade the breaks or clutch or any other parts in the drive train
GRIMREAPER is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 AM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Upbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 435
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GRIMREAPER View Post
Is it a nut to upgrade the breaks or clutch or any other parts in the drive train
No not at all, those especially the clutch are two of the most commonly upgraded areas. On a tmaxx, 2.5, though, its not normal. The stock clutch and brakes are PLENTY for that 2.5.
Upbasher is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,048
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

If your brakes aren't up to snuff you don't necessarily need to upgrade. I remove the pads and then scuff them up with sandpaper. The same can be done to the clutchbell if it's slipping at all. Then I usually have to adjust the brake side of the linkage to engage a little sooner too. I've tried different aftermarket brakes for the 2.5 and none are really any better than stock. The brakes on the 3.3 are nice but they don't bolt onto the 2.5 transmission. I'd upgrade the throttle/brake servo before the brakes themselves, it makes more of a difference.

Honestly though don't throw too much money at it upgrading, just drive it and save for something else. It always starts small with Maxx trucks, brakes, clutch, rpm arms. Next thing you know you've got upgraded bulks, towers, diffs, driveshafts, etc. And with the cost of all those upgrades you coulve bought a better truck to start out with.
Overdriven is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Upbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 435
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
If your brakes aren't up to snuff you don't necessarily need to upgrade. I remove the pads and then scuff them up with sandpaper. The same can be done to the clutchbell if it's slipping at all. Then I usually have to adjust the brake side of the linkage to engage a little sooner too. I've tried different aftermarket brakes for the 2.5 and none are really any better than stock. The brakes on the 3.3 are nice but they don't bolt onto the 2.5 transmission. I'd upgrade the throttle/brake servo before the brakes themselves, it makes more of a difference.

Honestly though don't throw too much money at it upgrading, just drive it and save for something else. It always starts small with Maxx trucks, brakes, clutch, rpm arms. Next thing you know you've got upgraded bulks, towers, diffs, driveshafts, etc. And with the cost of all those upgrades you coulve bought a better truck to start out with.
Exactly. Well said
Upbasher is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 05:00 PM
  #13  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
GRIMREAPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 908
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the input guys I'm a just keep it the way it is just get some new tires and call it a day
GRIMREAPER is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 PM
  #14  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Upbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 435
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by GRIMREAPER View Post
Thanks for the input guys I'm a just keep it the way it is just get some new tires and call it a day
I wouldn't even do that unless they're totally shot.
It doesn't go fast enough or have enough torque to make much of a difference.
Upbasher is offline  
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
  #15  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
Cummins Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Ok, Im going to start off by saying that the 2.5 t-maxx is not that bad of a truck with a few upgrades. Most of these people have probably never owned one if I had to guess. Its most definitely not the most reliable truck there is, but there are some things that can make it a ton better without spending a terrible amount of money.

I would start by upgrading the driveline

3.3 T-maxx shafts - $24
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...item3f2b3affdd

3.3 turnbuckles- $10
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-3-T-MA...item1e80e1846c

3.3 knuckles - $12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-4907...item4acb669c0f

^^^ Those 3 things have to be done together, but will greatly increase the strength of the driveline. You can also upgrade to the 3.3 differentials, but the stock 2.5 differentials hold the 2.5 fine until they get worn, then you can replace them with the 3.3 diff's.

Forward Only Kit- $10
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Forw...item4d13f76df5

^^^ That mod really helps the transmission. Takes out a pretty large amount of rotating weight and play from the transmission. It will drive much smoother and be a little quicker.

3.3 Maxx Bellcrank - $10
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-4907...item2ecb792cd7

^^^ That is a great upgrade to help your steering be better and gets rid of that cheap stock servo saver you have. It makes a nice difference.

Those are the upgrades I would be looking into right off the bat. After that, I would only replace things as they break. If you still have the old style body posts, they can be replaced with 3.3 units for cheap when you break them, and if you break the bulkheads you can either go aluminum or replace with stockers for cheap, and your a-arms are already taken care of. In my opinion, A Maxx with those upgrades, aluminum bulks, and RPM Arms can take a pretty good amount of abuse unless you like jumping cars and trying to tear things up like a lot of people do.

All the items listed above would run you about $66 shipping included. Most people spend far more than that on wheels and tires. I was always very happy with the 2.5 engine in my t-maxx. It ran and tuned great and had very good power in my opinion. You can always upgrade to the 3.3 later if you want and if you do the mods above, then your driveline will already be beefed up to hold it. I have a savage, MGT, and LST2 right now, and I have owned several others as well as a 2.5 t-maxx and I can tell you that the T-maxx is as fun to drive as any of them and I personally like the small block traxxas engines a lot. My LST2 will be for sale soon, and Im really considering picking up another t-maxx to tinker with after I sell it.

Id say if you like your t-maxx, then keep it and go forward with some upgrades that will make the truck a lot better and upgrade the rest as it breaks.
Cummins Driver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.