Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Picco .26 glow plug cannon >

Picco .26 glow plug cannon

Picco .26 glow plug cannon

Old 10-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Picco .26 glow plug cannon

After finally getting my Savvy X running well, I decided to grab an old Savage SS that came up for sale at a good price. I gave the car a thorough clean, stripped down the Picco .26 big blog and fired it up. All good.

As I was tuning it though, the glow plug died on my (was super old) so I had to replace it, but as I pulled it out of the engine most of the thread came with it :-( Now the head button is stripped, I can get a glow plug onto the last bit of thread in there and seal it with a bit of green slime to get compression, but as soon as you hit the throttle.....BOOM. Glow plug cannon, fires it straight up.

As far as I can tell the button head for this engine is discontinued and I can't find any online retailer that has them left. Any suggestions on how I could possibly repair the thread?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ooh that's stinks that's a really good engine too....
I would just keep looking for an old stock one, someone will have one somewhere.
If all else fails you could try to get one from a different .26 engine, I'd compare them to make sure all the sizes are the same
Old 10-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah not too keen on replacing the engine for $200+ when the whole thing cost much less than that. The picco is in good condition too, it was filthy when I got it but after stripping it down I realized that it had barely been used. Unfortunately not really sure where to look for a replacement part.

Was considering perhaps welding it shut and tapping a new thread? Could potentially draw it up in solidworks and get a new one milled, but not sure if anyone I know will do the milling for "mates rates".
Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/picco-26-26-...item35cd3ff1b1

Here is one on ebay
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blazerss View Post
Cheers, hadn't seen that one as it's not listed for international post. Will check to see how much it'll cost me to get it sent out to Australia, if the whole lot costs more than $60 then it's probably not worthwhile (could get a Losi 454 for a little over 200 and be done with it).
Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Dont get a losi 454, rubbish engine with a rubbish carb that cant hold a tune to save its life.
Just an opinion based on my first hand experience.

A picco boost .28 for $229 is lightyears better.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mourinho View Post
Dont get a losi 454, rubbish engine with a rubbish carb that cant hold a tune to save its life.
Just an opinion based on my first hand experience.

A picco boost .28 for $229 is lightyears better.
Extremely unlikely to find that engine for anything less that $300 in Australia seeing as it isn't distributed here. Choices are limited and prices are generally a lot higher.

Learned about Helicoils, but of course glow plugs are imperial and a completely abnormal thread size just to make life easier
Old 10-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Bought one of each of these in the hope that I can get one of them to fit-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150974606547
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150974606552

The latter one seems to be the money shot, 16.75mm is pretty much exact. Nothing else matters too much, if the holes don't line up I'll Laser cut a new set