Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
2and fly wheel now has to be replaced >

2and fly wheel now has to be replaced

2and fly wheel now has to be replaced

Old 06-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Default 2and fly wheel now has to be replaced

will have some toady i ve melted my second big black gear which i think is the fly wheel my question is why when i check the gap it seems fine buy just
10 min playing and going off jumps i need a new gear why
Old 06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Cool

Mostly why is that during takeoff and landings the frame is flexing causing that gear"mesh"to change constantly,Is it a Tmaxx??Ive seen people double up the chassis,Go to the much stiffer 4mm chassis,and/or add the robinson racing steel spur gear.If its not a Maxx maybe you need to run the mesh just a little tighter,Just a tick of play generally does the job without being so tight that it ruins the clutch bearings
Old 06-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

check your slipper,it maybe too tight.also when coming off jumps let off the gas untill your truck has landed,if you gun the engine while in mid air and it lands at high rpm it'll chew the teeth off the gear.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default reply

no its a savage .25 rtr the hooby store has said they get those type of calls
all the time and he said when you are reading the owners manel the y tell you to tighten the nut the losen it a bite well the hobby guy said don't just tighten it the fuuny thing is when on grass no problems but on trails or 4' jumps gear melts thinking of going to a steel gear a cost of $60 hoping it will last because when the i check the gaps its fine any ways i am not the only with these problems and i never had these problems with my old tmaxx
just over heating towards it end

Last edited by classic xl; 06-23-2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: speiling
Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The steel spur gear will cure your issues but for the money i would get a 52 tooth delrin spur gear i think gpm and couple others sell them. Usually around 12.00. Couple other things to watch are make sure clutch bell bearings arent bad, also upgrade to a 3 shoe clutch if not already. the 2 shoe clutch slips and overheats the clutch bell and actually melts the teeth off the spur.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

I stripped 1 after that I always ran my savage with the gear mesh about as tight as I could get it without it being real noisy no more stripped gears,One thing is that when the gear is new the mesh will feel fine but get a tank through it and check it again ,chances are that the mesh will be just a little loose
Old 06-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Tech Initiate

With the Savage, check to see that the slipper clutch is not too loose. If it is slipping too much, it heats up and burns up the spur gear. I learned that the hard way also. Three spur gears in one race day...

It might help if you scuff up the pad that sticks to the gear.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

How true I ran My Savage 21 with the slipper locked up,But my poor little BB21 wasnt much for mind bending power
Originally Posted by jambiefsj
With the Savage, check to see that the slipper clutch is not too loose. If it is slipping too much, it heats up and burns up the spur gear. I learned that the hard way also. Three spur gears in one race day...

It might help if you scuff up the pad that sticks to the gear.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default reply

i am going to hobby hobby in the streetsville plazze that where i uselly buy
my parts because its the closet but any ways way on grass no melted spure
its what i dont get and i was shock when the guy told me $60 for a steel
i think he said it was a kit and ive notice that the little steel gear on the motor is wearing so my guess is to tight and i was following the manuel
which tells you not to go to tight but just a little gap is this right

Last edited by classic xl; 06-24-2005 at 10:57 AM. Reason: speiling
Old 06-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

as dragonfire said, you slipper clutch being too tight is the root of your problem.. its purpose is not only for traction control but also to take some of the stress off of the gears..
Old 06-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default reply

heres a dumb qusetion where and what is the slipper clutch
Old 06-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

the slipper cluth is at your spur gear...the one come wit a spring and a nut to tighten the spur gear..you know..when u change the spur gear there is a sping that behind it...

there is another possibility of your problem...try to check the bearing on your pinion gear...that is wat happen to my savage .25...damage bearing kill my spur almost every run i made..

i set my spur and pinion(the gear on the engine) like this
step 1: when everything in place hold the pinion gear...make sure the gear wont move..

step2:use your hand to move the spur gear...

step 3:if the spur gear move left and right abit...mean it is fine..if the spur dint move at all mean it is too lose..

remember do this when the pinion is not moving.it is the same consept as put a paper between the pinion and the spur.

i melt few spur too...so now always check the spur is lose enough or too lose..

my way of spotting "too lose" spur is hold the savage on the ground...make sure it canot move freely..stop it wit your leg or ask some1 to hold for u..then..try turn the spur..if u can turn too easy mean too lose...it only suppose to slip abit...the spirng on the spur...i set mine to lose half or 1 turn from fully tight...

if everything ok..then it time to run the car...make a few warm up lap..by running in a straight line,u can test your spur by doing this.(this is to test the slipper cluth)make it run slowly...then run WOT..press all the way...the the engine rev high but the car run slow..then it is too lose...

the best way to prevent this is...let go your trotle when u ready for landing...
some time...a sharp..too sharp conering will also damage the spur gear..

i hope i manage to help u abit...
that is how i set my savage...if any of the pro out there think my way is wrong,feel free to comment...because..i still learning also..and most of all make sure he dint repeat my mistake..

good luck
Old 06-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

IS your spur gear melting at the the teeth?
If so then your clutch bell is getting to hot and melting
the spur gear. The clutch bell gets to hot because
your main clutch mounted on the motor is slipping
because its shot, or its dragging / engaging at idle because
the clutch springs are shot. The slipper clutch and the main
clutch are two different things.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default reply

i can move the spur with my finger to the left and th right has no drag at all
but like i sad when i check tthe gap between the spur and the steel on the motor is fine but i ve notice the steel gear on motor is showing wear an tear which i tought was to tight and it dose move at idel but not sure why only on jumps iam having problems may be braking to hard or not taking my finger off the throtto and is the slipper clutch the brown plate