R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Favorite Tires? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/758717-favorite-tires.html)

austinspeer810 09-15-2013 01:04 PM

Favorite Tires?

What are your favorite rc monster truck tires? I am looking to upgrade mine and I just want to see what everyone likes.

Upbasher 09-15-2013 01:17 PM

Losi zombie max tires are awesome

austinspeer810 09-15-2013 01:22 PM

Ah nice. I have an e revo and I am looking for tires that are great for all terrain for the most part. I hear proline is coming out with their badlands mounted on desperado wheels for monster trucks.

Upbasher 09-15-2013 02:20 PM

Badlands look pretty sweet also. Those babies look like they'd get some serious grip on loose surfaces. I bet they'd be WICKED on grass

Cinnabun 09-15-2013 02:42 PM

I love badlands. The grip is insane. I really liked the losi zombie maxx tires but theyre impossible to find anymore. The badlands grip just about any surface but are brutal in grass and mulch.

austinspeer810 09-15-2013 02:49 PM

Okay guys...I am going to get the badlands when I can find them in the monster truck class. Would you recommend getting them premounted or unmounted? If I am going to spend 90 dollars on a full set of wheels and tires I dont want them coming off from everyday bashing so easy. I have stock wheels and tires and I have already had to reglue them a few times. If I were to go towards the unmounted badlands should I get beadlock wheels or regular wheels? I understand beadlock wheels are more geared for the rock crawlers but I see monster trucks with them on and they are bashing trucks. Just want to get some good advice.

themanwithnonam 09-16-2013 12:44 AM

unmounted so you can tape them.

EDIt: Beadlcoks are heavier, I wouldn't go that route

Shimmy 09-16-2013 03:15 AM

Proline Mulchers.

No longer made unfortunately.

Overdriven 09-16-2013 06:51 AM

Badlands are a great tire, so are Trenchers if you're looking for something tall. I'd avoid bead locks. Not only are they heavier due to the screws but they I've heard of guys having the bead come loose with brushless trucks. Not much point to bead locks if you still have to glue the tire.

I'd go I unmounted too so you can tape the tires and prevent ballooning. It's not that hard to glue tires, if it's your first time watch a video and start on the inside of the wheel just in case you use too much CA at first.

austinspeer810 09-16-2013 07:55 AM

yeah I have glued many tires recently considering I was into the competition racing so I think I will be good with gluing tires myself. I just thought maybe proline or j concepts would have a solid glue bond with the tire and rim.

austinspeer810 09-16-2013 11:24 AM

So between the badlands...mulchers...and trenchers...which one would you recommend?

Cinnabun 09-16-2013 11:49 AM

not a fan of the size of the trenchers.

themanwithnonam 09-16-2013 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by austinspeer810 (Post 12550743)
So between the badlands...mulchers...and trenchers...which one would you recommend?

Never tried the mulchers, was long gone already when I got back into rc.
But I would go badlands.

I admit I do like the look of both mashers and trenchers and these tires are good but seriously heavy!
After I tested the badlands, dirt bonz, and now crime fighter 40s I wouldn't want to go back to big heavy tires.

However different situations calls for different tires.

1) Serious jumping, launching your truck over your 1:1 car, boat, bus, locomotive or whatever. The hpi terrapins can soak up any landing.

2) bashing/jumping without caring that much about handling badlands or hpi works well. In fact many tires could be used here

3) for the track I would go badlands, bow tie/crime fighters 40s or mtrs. Or even take it a step further with some truggy tires.

4) I do find the trenchers/mashers really fun in the winter.

What I use most frequently right now is terrapins, dirt bonz and crime fighters. Over 3 different trucks. Dirt bonz was good until the foams turned sloppy. That tire would be awsome in 3.8 size with some decent foam.

I also have some traxxas response pro tires waiting. I think that's going to be a great tire.

Another big masher/trencher tire is the big joe 2 that recently came out. Or the smaller shockwaves.

I hope this post popped some ideas:)

Overdriven 09-17-2013 06:48 AM

@ austin: I'd go badlands or Dirt bonz for a Erevo. When I had an Erevo I tried some of the larger tires and it didn't like them too much. Plus it looks funny. A bigger truck like my LST XXL needs big tires to look right IMO. Stay away from Big Joes! If you want big there's better options that are bigger while being lighter.

@ themanwithnonam: have you considered stretching the Dirt bonz over a Truggy rim? People have been doing it with the Badlands for awhile now. Instead of putting the bead of the tire in the normal bead channel it's place further in. Then some glue is place on the outer portion of the rim securing the sidewall and making it shorter. I'm not sure what most do with the foams but I'm sure there's some better explanations around here.

themanwithnonam 09-17-2013 07:42 AM

@overdriven: Yes I have, but on a pair of desperados rims I have.
I think the width of the rims is needed for the dirt bonz. And yes, the foam would be an issue.

I more interested trying out the reponse pro tires to be honest.