Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap) >

My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)

A little back store first:

I bought a LST2 when they first came out years ago after trying to jump a speed bump onto a curb and smashing my XXX-S to pieces lol. I LOVED the truck then but got out of the hobby for about 2 years. Since then I've been an Emaxx fanatic mainly due to the price of the LST2/XXL's being pretty high where I live.

Well, I finally got my hands on one and no longer have the time or patience to deal with nitro so, conversion time!

I have done two other E conversions in the past, once on my 8ight 1.0 and once on an old Kyosho Inferno Truggy. Both went smoothly.

This LST2 however is one difficult (in comparison to the two above) E conversion to undertake!

Shown first is the truck as I got it and completly torn down
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-lst2-complete.jpg   My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-lst2-teardown.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

As for the transmission, I did the forward only myself with removing some gears and placing spacers. The picture shown is not my trans but this is basically what I did. I used some nylon tubing that I was able to cut down to the exact size.
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-lst-trans.jpg   My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-spacers.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

This is the way I did the single speed conversion. I'm not sure how long with will last but it does the job for now. I just drilled two holes on opposite sides on the center part of the spur hub and screwed in screws to keep in solid. So far this conversion has cost me about $2.
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-single-speed-conv.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trans complete and installed back into the truck.
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-trans-complete.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Made a rear mount plate for the esc out of aluminum. It's just low enough to keep the ESC and wires safe if i flip without the body on.

(Motor is just a mock up to check clearance)

I also moved the esc mount to where TheDudes rc one is. Fits much better there.
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-electronis-mock-up.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

The motor I went with was the Leopard 4092 1480kv, by recommendation from another user. Its very long, almost reaches from one side of the chassis to the other. Kind of wish it was 44-46mm diameter (just cause it would look better), but it looks great!

The second motor is a comparison with the Castle 8 scale 2200kv motor.
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-bl-motor.jpg   My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-bl-size-comparison.jpg   My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-leopard-mock-up.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

The battery I chose, mainly because I got a screaming deal was a Hunger 5s 5000mah. I'm also using a 28t pinion with the stock 63t spur.
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-5s-lipo.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

I decided against the RX8 previously pictured and wanted to go with the Xerun 150a esc. Also got a L shaped piece of 5mm aluminum to make the mount.
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-ezrun-leopard-mock-up.jpg   My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-xerun-leopard-mock-up2.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Truck is now complete! Top speed as of now is 38mph on 5s.

Here is a video of it with me driving and my son filming. http://youtu.be/xeln5L5mJAw

Here it is pulling a trailer I'm in the process of building. http://youtu.be/3WKynuvFU54
Attached Thumbnails My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-completed-conversion.jpg   My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)-top-speed.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

I wanted to post this due to the amount of people doing the conversion and the fact that Losi has, from what I can tell, stopped making conversion parts. The Dudes stuff is really great from what I hear, but that adds over $100 to the conversion. This conversion without electronics cost me about $10 totaly.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions please shoot them my way!

Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Initiate

You have a long motor and the mount looks puny. Unless you have some high grade aluminum ( like 7075 or so), 5mm thick aluminum angle bar will bend and cause problems with the gear mesh. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise a nice conversion!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by johny723
You have a long motor and the mount looks puny. Unless you have some high grade aluminum ( like 7075 or so), 5mm thick aluminum angle bar will bend and cause problems with the gear mesh. Just my 2 cents. Otherwise a nice conversion!
I think its 6062 maybe (I don't remember exactly) but its the one designed NOT to bend. Its a rounded bend. And isn't 5mm thicker than other mounts? I think the dude uses 316"
Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Looks good, and most of all you had fun doing it
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gtaman
Looks good, and most of all you had fun doing it
Thanks! I might enjoy building more than driving.... lol
Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johny723
Originally Posted by jrowles91
I think its 6062 maybe (I don't remember exactly) but its the one designed NOT to bend. Its a rounded bend. And isn't 5mm thicker than other mounts? I think the dude uses 316"
Idk whether the TDR mount is 6061 or what thicknes it is, but it's machined from a billet so it's going to be a bit stronger than plate. Jrowles91's angle plate is the right kind to use for a mount, it's not the cheap extruded Home Depot stuff that'll bend and chew spur gears. I personally have the same style mount (3mm thick angle stock) on my XXL holding a 1717 and have had zero issues.

Nice job on the cheap conversion. Cheap is good, making stuff is even better! My XXL is cheap too but a little different. I did build my nephews LST1 almost exactly the same way, his is the JB Weld special though! On his I JB Welded the trans gears in High and Forward and used it to seal up the leftover holes in the case. I also JB Welded the 2nd gear hub to the 2nd gear cam shaft by taping up the adjustment holes, setting the 2nd gear cam shaft in the hub and filling the 2nd gear hub with JB Weld. Something to consider if the 2nd gear clutch decides it doesn't like having screws through it.

You could pretty it up for cheap by rounding the the top of the motor mount to follow the contour of the motor. My only other suggestion is a battery box of some kind. You can make a cheap one out of some lexan like my nephews truck. His battery is mounted up front with the lexan mounted to the original LST servo mounts for the brake and reverse servos. I used a lighter to heat the lexan just enough to bend the sides up, put some foam over the button head screws (the rounded head ones, not cap screws) and used some Ofna LX1e straps to hold the Lipo down and from moving forward or backwards. Total cost about $15 for battery box/tray and straps. The leftover Lexan also came in handy for making mounting plates for the esc and Waterproof Stampede Rx box which saves some space over the stock LST Rx box. I think it's was 3/16 Lexan, either way I can hold the truck up by the tray, shake it hard and it won't break just bends a little. Plexiglas will break though, has to be Lexan! I'll try and get a pic of the tray this weekend if my description isn't clear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.