Wiki Posts
Search

eLST XXL build

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Default eLST XXL build

Hello,

so finally parts arrived for my eLST build and I got me some free time to start the build. What I've seen from my two flux rigs is that they really benefit from having a CD, over a tranny.

I currently running my flux on 6s with 48/10 gearing using gt or terrapin tires.
As I'm planning on to run smaller and lighter tires on this build I will probably use 48/11 gearing.

At hand I got a 50t and a 60t spur a full range (9-20t) of pinions to experiment if needed.

I ordered almost all parts from dollarhobbyz, but beside the standard parts I also ordered a:

castle 2200kv motor
mamba monster 2 from tower
set of 4 losi 3.2 1/2" offset dish wheels from a main hobbies
hpi vorza CD
a proline topkick body
a hpi ford f150 supercab body
a set of proline 40 series crime fighters
a set (2) of turnigy 5.6A 2s batts
a set of 40 series velocity rims
a set of 17mm hexes

Some parts

As Losi is all new to me this was a mess and I had the exploded views printed so I could start the assembly. I wanted to quickly get an idea on how the layout could be

Well, that's all for now folks...
Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Oh cool, I love builds
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wanna fallow this.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default More layout

Thank you guys. This build will not use any fancy parts or so, the focus is more on the brushless setup and CD.

Anyway after the assembly and just trying out different layouts - moving batteries, motor and esc around on the plate I decided that I want the motor down low side to side to the CD.

Some metal had to go - lazy style

I also made a new temporary bottom plate. Later I will perhaps make a new when I know what the looks of it should be.

The planned layout is now something like this

Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default Single servo

I tried to find some info on using a single servo setup. It would allow to offset the CD instead of the motor. I see that kimbrough has some large heavy duty servo saver. Anyone tried one of those?

http://kimbroughracingproducts.com/s...oduct_id=29908
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Maybe a stupid question, but couldn't you have just bought a muggy chassis that already has the CD?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by muney
Maybe a stupid question, but couldn't you have just bought a muggy chassis that already has the CD?
I probably could but I would have to spend a lot of time (time I don't have at the moment with two small kids) searching and finding one, plus getting it to Sweden by a private seller would be expensive.

I only heard of ONE muggy in a Swedish forum, I don't think there exists many of them here.

Besides it's more fun doing things this way
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default Team Durango 60t spur

Here's a closer look at the 60t spur I have. It's from a dex408 team durango.
I figured I could use it to have more gearing options but it is just too big.

It's a direct drop in the hpi vorza CD

Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You'll probably have a hard time finding cvd's / dogbones to suit. Not saying it can't be done, just a pita.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pinkpanda3310
You'll probably have a hard time finding cvd's / dogbones to suit. Not saying it can't be done, just a pita.
Yes, I know what you mean. I was in contact with Tekno rc and they have two options, one 170mm and one 166mm. It should be possible to mod the 166mm to fit. But then I need a shorter front bone.

Finally, if I can't get the tekno one to fit I will just cut and weld the originals...

Currently I'm just waiting for parts. I had to order some stuff, because I first tried to fabricate my own motor mount outta aluminium, and well, it works but it looks so damn ugly. The mill I have is china made and in fact almost only good for drilling...

So for motor mount I ordered a Ofna Ultra lx2e motor mount + CD mount.
Think I will ned some 19mm bearing for my hpi CD to make it fit.

I'm also waiting for some standard servos. But later I will probably buy a strong single servo.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How long do you need?

I have never had an xxl chassis but IIRC the diff can be placed central with lst/aftershock axles front and rear. I say lst1 because the cvd end is smaller than lst2 and fits right into the cvd cup on the diff pinion. They are about 140mm.

If you need longer than what you have mentioned how's 182mm... http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default...-020-050,b:XTM
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pinkpanda3310
How long do you need?

I have never had an xxl chassis but IIRC the diff can be placed central with lst/aftershock axles front and rear. I say lst1 because the cvd end is smaller than lst2 and fits right into the cvd cup on the diff pinion. They are about 140mm.

If you need longer than what you have mentioned how's 182mm... http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default...-020-050,b:XTM
I would like to offcenter the CD so two equally long ones will not do it. An option in that case would have been to use the diff cup extender axles from hpi super sc5, but that requires and cd mount that can house an additional bearing.

I think the tekno one has good length and I ordered, so firstly I will wait and see how that goes. The XTM one might in fact be too long

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Cool build idea! I've never seen an e-XXL built up this way, I'm subbed!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
Cool build idea! I've never seen an e-XXL built up this way, I'm subbed!
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, not so much news here, still wating for parts, especially the motor mount and center shafts.

Did get some parts in (sorry for the bad pics)

40 series velocity and 420 force wheels. The 40 series on cen 23mm hexes in fact add extra +5mm width over stock wheels. The cen hexes are a really tight fit and removes almost all slop.

I always liked the wide look that 40 series gives

I also got these traxxas repsonse pros today to try out. HAd some great fun with my flux today on asphalt so I will probably get some road rages 40 series fro the force wheels later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.