Wiki Posts
Search

Exceed Mad Beast = A surprisingly good truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)
Default Exceed Mad Beast = A surprisingly good truck

So there's been a couple conversations about the Exceed Mad Beast with people unsure of it's durability and performance etc. I had been lucky to do a trade with someone and got my hands on one. Unfortunately I never had the chance to look at it with its stock electronics, aside from the servo, which was pretty anemic, even worse with the stock servo saver.

So here's my run down of the Mad Beast. It truly is a beast. I'm running a Hobbyking 150 amp esc, Tacon 2150 1/8th scale motor and a Solar D772 servo wired to run on 7.4 volts. With those electronics, this truck comes to life. I would highly recommend it, IF you're going to upgrade the electronics.

Now the question is "Is this a good deal". Well do the math, You have the Mad Beast at $350, esc $68, motor $70 and servo $18. So your $350 truck now becomes a $500 truck, but you can also sell the stock electronics to offset that amount, so lets just say $425ish. That's still cheaper than you can get a used Savage Flux. Add batteries and a charger and you have a FULL RTR setup for about what a used Flux will run you.

Durability...this thing hasn't batted an eyelash at some decent hits and drops. I've driven it off my roof (10 feet) and have it land and keep going.

I put together a quick little review with some curb stomping. It's nothing too intense but still I've been surprised how good and durable this truck has been.

PS I can't seem to get the youtube link option to work so here is the site. No you won't be rickrolled or anything like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTwJXPhAAM
Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir
So there's been a couple conversations about the Exceed Mad Beast with people unsure of it's durability and performance etc. I had been lucky to do a trade with someone and got my hands on one. Unfortunately I never had the chance to look at it with its stock electronics, aside from the servo, which was pretty anemic, even worse with the stock servo saver.

So here's my run down of the Mad Beast. It truly is a beast. I'm running a Hobbyking 150 amp esc, Tacon 2150 1/8th scale motor and a Solar D772 servo wired to run on 7.4 volts. With those electronics, this truck comes to life. I would highly recommend it, IF you're going to upgrade the electronics.

Now the question is "Is this a good deal". Well do the math, You have the Mad Beast at $350, esc $68, motor $70 and servo $18. So your $350 truck now becomes a $500 truck, but you can also sell the stock electronics to offset that amount, so lets just say $425ish. That's still cheaper than you can get a used Savage Flux. Add batteries and a charger and you have a FULL RTR setup for about what a used Flux will run you.

Durability...this thing hasn't batted an eyelash at some decent hits and drops. I've driven it off my roof (10 feet) and have it land and keep going.

I put together a quick little review with some curb stomping. It's nothing too intense but still I've been surprised how good and durable this truck has been.

PS I can't seem to get the youtube link option to work so here is the site. No you won't be rickrolled or anything like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTwJXPhAAM
You can easily get a used Savage Flux for $425.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fr8cture
You can easily get a used Savage Flux for $425.
Okay. I'm not trying to debate this being better than the savage, that's stupid. I'm simply saying that this truck is a lot better than what people want to give Exceed credit for.

It's a viable option for someone looking for a monster truck. Heck you could just upgrade the servo and servo saver and still have a decent truck (with the stock motor and esc) and be sitting at under $400 and upgrade the motor and esc as needed.

Some people only buy new, they don't want to buy used. So this is a good option for them as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

I was just saying that you can get a Savage flux used for that. Some times even cheaper. Savage's aren't going for as much as they we're 6 months ago.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Oh without a doubt.

If I had $425 to spend and was able to get a Savage Flux in good condition vs. a new Mad Beast. I'd probably grab the Savage. But if the Savage was unknown...I'd probably get the Beast, with what I've seen with mine.

My point to this thread is that the Mad Beast is still a great option. A buddy of mine has a ERevo and he breaks parts on it on a regular basis. My PERSONAL experience with these trucks (I've owned a savage, Mad beast and watching my buddies truck), I'd put them

1. Savage
2. Mad Beast
3. ERevo
Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

its not just how durable something is it also parts support. people don't want something if they cant easily get parts. aftermarket parts too. the exceed vehicles just don't have that. reputation reputation reputation, some of the exceed vehicles in the past have been total crap, just knowing that will make many people stay away form exceed...

imho the exceed vehicles just look a little cheesy
Old 07-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ThePanda
its not just how durable something is it also parts support. people don't want something if they cant easily get parts. aftermarket parts too. the exceed vehicles just don't have that. reputation reputation reputation, some of the exceed vehicles in the past have been total crap, just knowing that will make many people stay away form exceed...

imho the exceed vehicles just look a little cheesy
You're dead on. Parts are fairly easy to come by, especially seeing some parts from the savage are direct fits and obviously there's always places like Nitrorcx that carry a lot. Also alot of the aftermarket parts for the Savage will fit this. I'm going to try and see which savage parts are direct fit replacements (assuming I break something )

My point in posting this is to show that, even though Exceed has released some real dogs, this one isn't. This truck is worth the money for someone who wants a strong monster truck without spending north of $500. So yes. Reputation Reputation Reputation. The reputation of the Mad Beast should be a VERY strong truck for a good price.

How many people own RC vehicles that parts AREN'T stocked at their LHS. What percentage of spare parts are bought online by people. Saying "parts availability" is a pretty weak argument when the parts are VERY available and will be at your door in 4 days.

I have an HPI Blitz, Losi SCTE, Exceed Mad Beast, Axial SCX10 and Xray M18T. The Losi is the only one of those that I can get parts "locally" (meaning a 45 minutes drive one way) and frankly, I'll just order online for Losi parts as well. Once you figure in gas costs and time, it's just easier to buy online. The track I race at only carries traxxas and associated parts.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scottgir
You're dead on. Parts are fairly easy to come by, especially seeing some parts from the savage are direct fits and obviously there's always places like Nitrorcx that carry a lot. Also alot of the aftermarket parts for the Savage will fit this. I'm going to try and see which savage parts are direct fit replacements (assuming I break something )

My point in posting this is to show that, even though Exceed has released some real dogs, this one isn't. This truck is worth the money for someone who wants a strong monster truck without spending north of $500. So yes. Reputation Reputation Reputation. The reputation of the Mad Beast should be a VERY strong truck for a good price.

How many people own RC vehicles that parts AREN'T stocked at their LHS. What percentage of spare parts are bought online by people. Saying "parts availability" is a pretty weak argument when the parts are VERY available and will be at your door in 4 days.

I have an HPI Blitz, Losi SCTE, Exceed Mad Beast, Axial SCX10 and Xray M18T. The Losi is the only one of those that I can get parts "locally" (meaning a 45 minutes drive one way) and frankly, I'll just order online for Losi parts as well. Once you figure in gas costs and time, it's just easier to buy online. The track I race at only carries traxxas and associated parts.
I buy all my parts online so parts support isn't a factor for me but I do like to go with the more known trucks.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Interesting, can you do a long-term review of the madbeast? Together with a video with some serious bashing, big jumps and crashes to give us an idea on the durability and how it performs? A list of parts that are a "weak link" and break first would be also appreciated.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johny723
Interesting, can you do a long-term review of the madbeast? Together with a video with some serious bashing, big jumps and crashes to give us an idea on the durability and how it performs? A list of parts that are a "weak link" and break first would be also appreciated.
that does sound like a fantastic idea.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by johny723
Originally Posted by ThePanda
that does sound like a fantastic idea.
Yeah, I'm probably going to go over to a little skate park this weekend. (nothing like what you see in Cali where its like driving around in inground pools, but still)

I'll post some video.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Tech Rookie

What is RC tech?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

I just bought one of these. Isn't it more or less based off a savage design? Come from a history of owning Emaxx trucks. In come cases, I would rather have an exceed than an emaxx. Anywho, I hot one of these trucks. I have a leopard 4074 2200kv that I plan to pair with a quickrun 150 and I might throw that solar d772 I have in there. I just do t like that the d772. Has 23 tooth spline >

If its anything like a savage, I should love it!
Old 12-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

I owned both the savage and the Exceed, and yes, they are VERY similar. I would go so far as to say the Exceed is a red-headed step-clone.

With the electronics you're talking about...and make sure you run the D772 on 7.4 volts...you'll be VERY happy.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I was reading over this and would say you don't have to replace the ESC. It's the RTR version of 80A xerun ( empty sensor port) and is a very reliable speed control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.