Wiki Posts
Search

Exceed Mad Beast = A surprisingly good truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir
So there's been a couple conversations about the Exceed Mad Beast with people unsure of it's durability and performance etc. I had been lucky to do a trade with someone and got my hands on one. Unfortunately I never had the chance to look at it with its stock electronics, aside from the servo, which was pretty anemic, even worse with the stock servo saver.

So here's my run down of the Mad Beast. It truly is a beast. I'm running a Hobbyking 150 amp esc, Tacon 2150 1/8th scale motor and a Solar D772 servo wired to run on 7.4 volts. With those electronics, this truck comes to life. I would highly recommend it, IF you're going to upgrade the electronics.

Now the question is "Is this a good deal". Well do the math, You have the Mad Beast at $350, esc $68, motor $70 and servo $18. So your $350 truck now becomes a $500 truck, but you can also sell the stock electronics to offset that amount, so lets just say $425ish. That's still cheaper than you can get a used Savage Flux. Add batteries and a charger and you have a FULL RTR setup for about what a used Flux will run you.

Durability...this thing hasn't batted an eyelash at some decent hits and drops. I've driven it off my roof (10 feet) and have it land and keep going.

I put together a quick little review with some curb stomping. It's nothing too intense but still I've been surprised how good and durable this truck has been.

PS I can't seem to get the youtube link option to work so here is the site. No you won't be rickrolled or anything like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTwJXPhAAM
Another cheap HPI knock off is what I see............which Im not the biggest fan of to begin with.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Another cheap HPI knock off is what I see............which Im not the biggest fan of to begin with.
Wrong.its a nanda raptor
Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Here's a pic of the crew if this works

Last edited by flou; 11-21-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Exceed Mad Beast

Well nobody is forcing you to look, but thanks for the constructive criticism. I suggest you look elsewhere. What's going on here is a few actual owners of the truck and discussing it's performance and what's been done to correct any shortcomings. You must keep in mind that not everyone has the ability to purchase an HPI Savage, which is what I'm sure you're alluding to. Those of us who might be thinking about getting one of these would best be served by those who have decided to go ahead and actually purchase one, or have spent a fair amount time assessing one. This is not the place for speculation based on favoritism or bias formed as a result from a quick initial inspection. Most of those who have chimed in in this thread have real experience with the vehicle and are qualified to share their findings. What you have contributed is an unwarranted and subjective afterthought on a vehicle which you, as far as I can tell, can offer no credibility in regarding to how it performs or the integrity of it's manufacturer.

Whew, struck a nerve there.....Anyway, now that that's aside, flou it looks nice. Have fun with the upgrades. You will definitely enjoy the performance 150A ESC will provide. I went with a 2000kv motor, but mostly because I expected to run it on 6s, which I'm anxious to do. I got mine used and is an older version which came with the 2400kv motor and 80A ESC. I ended up putting the 2400kv motor in my e-revo. It definitely wasn't a slouch in the beast, but it is not 5 or 6s capable, however it did flip the truck onto it's back quite easily. The wheelie bar is a definite must. Keep us posted on how the upgrades are coming along. I'll throw up some more pics as well of my Beast when as she gets the treatment!

Last edited by scooper; 03-26-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Did strike a nerve Tho didn't it. I really don't care what it resembles. I care how it performs. And as far as I can tell it performs quite well. And I spent less than half the cost of that hpi.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

I have mastered a new trick with it. The stoppie front flip.get it moving wide open and give full brake and catch reverse. Does a nice front flip and lands on wheels. The kids love it. Including me. I'll never grow up If it means I can't have toys.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

That sounds like fun, albeit a bit hard on the driveline. Yeah, it does perform rather well when they're set up properly, just as any other RC would. I'm rather happy with mine, and actually enjoy driving it more than my e-revo. It's a totally different driving experience, which also puts a big ol' grin on my face as well!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by flou
Wrong.its a nanda raptor
Which is itself a cheap HPI knockoff. I prefer to NOT support Chinese clone companies or their second rate products.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scooper
Well nobody is forcing you to look, but thanks for the constructive criticism. I suggest you look elsewhere. What's going on here is a few actual owners of the truck and discussing it's performance and what's been done to correct any shortcomings. You must keep in mind that not everyone has the ability to purchase an HPI Savage, which is what I'm sure you're alluding to. Those of us who might be thinking about getting one of these would best be served by those who have decided to go ahead and actually purchase one, or have spent a fair amount time assessing one. This is not the place for speculation based on favoritism or bias formed as a result from a quick initial inspection. Most of those who have chimed in in this thread have real experience with the vehicle and are qualified to share their findings. What you have contributed is an unwarranted and subjective afterthought on a vehicle which you, as far as I can tell, can offer no credibility in regarding to how it performs or the integrity of it's manufacturer.

Whew, struck a nerve there.....Anyway, now that that's aside, flou it looks nice. Have fun with the upgrades. You will definitely enjoy the performance 150A ESC will provide. I went with a 2000kv motor, but mostly because I expected to run it on 6s, which I'm anxious to do. I got mine used and is an older version which came with the 2400kv motor and 80A ESC. I ended up putting the 2400kv motor in my e-revo. It definitely wasn't a slouch in the beast, but it is not 5 or 6s capable, however it did flip the truck onto it's back quite easily. The wheelie bar is a definite must. Keep us posted on how the upgrades are coming along. I'll throw up some more pics as well of my Beast when as she gets the treatment!
It is what it is. A cheap Chinese knockoff. Now if this company actually made some design improvements to a very old platform and was able to offer a higher quality design and mfg'd product for a lower price, then I would be more open minded, but there is a reason why the item has a cheap $350 price tag attached to it. IMO if your looking at a twin ladder rail MT design, then may as well support the company who actually designed it. HPI.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

Did strike a nerve Tho didn't it. I really don't care what it resembles. I care how it performs. And as far as I can tell it performs quite well. And I spent less than half the cost of that hpi.
You should care. Id rather spend a few more dollars and support the original product and people who brought the product to life here in our own country, vs supporting people somewhere overseas who basically copy and clone and make the product out of cheaper materials and parts, in the long run you end up spending as much money anyway........its proven time and time again.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

You should care. Id rather spend a few more dollars and support the original product and people who brought the product to life here in our own country, vs supporting people somewhere overseas who basically copy and clone and make the product out of cheaper materials and parts, in the long run you end up spending as much money anyway........its proven time and time again.
I'm glad your into brand supporting. Shows lack of common sense. Your hpi uses internal electronics made over seas. All electronics are made over seas.may not be assembled there. And that's the deal. All so called American made products are not American made. Grow up.and I hate to break it to you they are all clones one way or another. The only one that isn't a clone would be the very first kit ever produced. From there all manufactures looked at it and began redesigning(cloning)it. Your actually mad because we were smart enough to keep that other 500 bucks you spent on an hpi.or entire world is filled with clones. When you walk into a store to bye a TV how many offer the exact same features. All of them. Rc is no different. And I have watched a brand new hpi destroy itself in the first run. But my beast still goes. If you don't like the beast why waste your time reading a thread for beast admirers. Because you upset bout blowing 1000 on a mt you could have got for less than half. Sorry bud. Not my fault a brand name is more important to you. Peel out bro. C-ya
Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Hey scooper I know it's hard on the drive line but I didn't buy it to play nice. I have treated my beast like that since day 1 out of the box. First run in sleet and snow. I'm buying a camera to start filming my trucks feats of durability.I have hooked front tires on trees at full speed with no Ill effect.cartwheels for better than 20 feet and all I do is put her back on wheels and try again. I have been brutal on it to try and find weekness.and all I have found is the servo sucks.and check 17mm wheel nuts prerun every run. And padding the handle bar/roll bar with foam till it touched the top of the body. I am above and beyond happy with my CLONE!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, apparently someone's a bit miffed that others' have found an extremely capable truck for a price that is reasonable....clone or not. Perhaps they can start another thread of their own and voice her/his opinions to an audience that is like-minded. Nothing valuable or of any significance was offered, and pretty much detracts from the original purpose of this thread. I suppose they need to move on.
It's good to know that the driveline can withstand that kind of abuse, since I'm going to hurl 5s and then 6s at this little Beast....I'm sure she won't flinch! I've gone pretty hard on mine as well and upgraded as parts fail. I've had a particularly rough time with the castor blocks breaking and have been looking for an aluminum replacement. I know fuyanrc has them but have not heard of others' experience with their online presence. Shipping may be an issue. However at only 2 dollars for plastic replacements, I have a bunch waiting in the wings.
In my pics you might be able to see what my rollbar solution was. It's the bottom support from a watch that my son got for X-mas. It's high density foam and even had a cutout in the middle. It serves it's padding purpose quite well for those times when I get a bit crazy and end up on the lid.
If you're looking to replace the servo, check out the solar d772. It's cheap, fast, all metal and provides plenty of torque the way I have mine set up. I use a no-brainer bec so it gets 7.2 volts, and I can adjust it to get a bit more. I was recommended it from scottgir. Unfortunately I believe I saw that he no longer has his Mad Beast anymore....bummer!
Please do post some videos..I'd love to see them. I'll try to do the same. I've got some but it's nothing spectacular, so I'll try an get my kiddo to hopefully have a steady hand and document the abuse of my beloved Mad Beast!
Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just go away. We're all sick of your crying and whining. Do you need tissues?

This is a cool looking truck and it's nice to know it's durable. That's always the main concern with RC's that don't come from the big names. It looks like a lot of fun.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

I'm glad your into brand supporting. Shows lack of common sense. Your hpi uses internal electronics made over seas. All electronics are made over seas.may not be assembled there. And that's the deal. All so called American made products are not American made. Grow up.and I hate to break it to you they are all clones one way or another. The only one that isn't a clone would be the very first kit ever produced. From there all manufactures looked at it and began redesigning(cloning)it. Your actually mad because we were smart enough to keep that other 500 bucks you spent on an hpi.or entire world is filled with clones. When you walk into a store to bye a TV how many offer the exact same features. All of them. Rc is no different. And I have watched a brand new hpi destroy itself in the first run. But my beast still goes. If you don't like the beast why waste your time reading a thread for beast admirers. Because you upset bout blowing 1000 on a mt you could have got for less than half. Sorry bud. Not my fault a brand name is more important to you. Peel out bro. C-ya
I actually don't own one single HPI product. Not a fan of the Savage platform at all, but Im a fan of cheap, generic, rip off, knock off clones even less. But nice try chewy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.