Community
Wiki Posts
Search

good cooling head for revo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 05:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default good cooling head for revo?

ive been searching and found a few heads that look worthy of my money. some claim 40% reduction in temp, some 30%, i was wondering which claims are true and which heads work the best for performance/price ratio?

head #1
claims 30%
~$22

head #2
claims 30%
~$21

head #3
claims 40%
~$34
Old 05-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Tech Initiate

I dont have a revo but I have trx2.5 in my Jato and I bought the badhorsie.com head. Its very nice and has some tuning options that the others dont have. You can read about them on badhorsie. They have red and blue. here is mine.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Initiate

anyone else have good success?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Cool

That ACNC head is supposed to be a good one,Im running Hardcore Racings Mutant head on my REVO with great success About $39 USD
Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Tech Initiate

why is the last one more expensive and have nicer stats? it seems that the *design, if you will* eliminates more metal, and since metal is a better conductor of heat .... having that *design* seems like a flaw to be cool.

on another note, ive messed wityh computers for years ..... all nicer heatsinks are partially or fully made of copper, which conducts heat better than the average metal. another addition to cooling is a heatsink with heatpipes. basically its a heatsink that has pipes coming from the bottom of the heatsink that kinda curve upwards and touch near the top of the heatsink. since water/fluid conducts heat better than even copper *which is better than avg metals, which are better than air* the fluid cools whatever is near the base of the heatsink (the object your cooling) as the temp rises the liquid rises *heat rises* and cools down, then falls back down near the bottom of the heatsink, and the process restarts.

i may be new to RC cars .... but i have my engine tuned fairly well, i actually keep it a bit slow to avoid any type of heat issue even though i know its not that critical. just seems that the cooling for these engine are very inefficient .... they get flaming hot and thats just expected ..... someone please fill me in
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Initiate

bump************
Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Dude.... I switched hobby too from computer overclocking to radio control cars. It's more fun right ?? My previous record was P4 2.0 GHz @ 3.6 GHz ( 80 percent overclock ) with fan cooling, or 3.75 GHz with Dangerden water cooling.

In RC nitro, heat is a good thing. You want operating temp like 105C to 120C. Below operating temp will cause fast rate "wear and tear" for piston & sleeve. Over 130C will cause other damages such as dead glow plug, flame out, loss of power, or worst broken conrod.

You should check the temp of current engine before replacing it. Measure the heat coming out from glow plug ( not the fins ). If it normal oper. temp then you don't have to change it. I own Revo before, TRX 2.5 engine is okay with 125C ( tornado 25% nitro fuel ). Mostly I run all of my engines ( JP, Novarossi ) around 120C to 130C max. So don't worry with very hot engine..... heat is good things in rc nitro.

I pick this one for eye candy:

Last edited by asw7576; 06-09-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

If you are looking for a great cooling head that is cheap you cannot beat RCmart.com they have monster cooling heads for $13.00 shipped. I run them on my Nitro 4tec and my REVO and love them. Made very well and work great plus you cant beat the price.