Community
Wiki Posts
Search

esc over heating problem on savage flux xl - 1717

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just changed the esc, and drove it around for a little around people so i wasnt driving it how i ususaly drive it and my temps after 5-8 min got me to 120-122 degrees, id like that because i wasnt driving it hard but in a little while im going to go to the the park and drive it how i drive it. Also i running 2x 3cell Nano tech 45-90c .. also if i was getting to 140-150 degrees in about 5min, that means if i were to keep running it for another 5min my temps would probly be close or at thermal shut down. Thats why i worry! .. ill get back to u guys after i back from the park and let u know my temps
Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I had this problem too when I ran my 1717. But I was geared alot higher, and running the high speed idler. On 20/44 you should have no problems. The esc isn't going to keep heating up at a linear rate, its going to reach a steady temp fairly early on, once the fan kicks on, it should stay around the same temp. I want to say 150-160 was when the fan came on.

I ended up running my 1717 with an xl2 esc, external bec, and mechanical brakes.. It was geared 25/44, running trenchers with an xl conversion on 8s lipo . The braking adds a ton of heat to the esc and lipos, so be lighter on the brakes as well.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Oh I agree. But its a little suspicious to get to 130f in a couple minutes with light throttle and what amount amounts to walking with the truck. Can't blame him for worrying a bit since a similar setup truck runs cooler too. Really gotta see if the fan can keep the temps within reason though.

the cc 1717 (X0-1 version) that i have in my losi xxl barely gets warm and i mean barely..ive got the standard heavy wheels (the xxl is one obese beast) and im geared to 52mph (24/63) and im running 6s lipo and im startiing to think that i could gear it higher..having said that, the traxxas x0-1 can do 100 mph+
btw ive never run any fans on any of my motors..if the motor overheats, youve got a problem elsewhere..check gear mesh, wheel bearings, gear to 40-50 mph firstly, any other forms of binding in the drivetrain..worse comes to worse, change esc and try again..i run the HW 150a and in this setup, is also cooll as a cucumber