Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Team Associated Rival vs HPI Savage Flux HP >

Team Associated Rival vs HPI Savage Flux HP

Team Associated Rival vs HPI Savage Flux HP

Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ausher View Post
To jack up the price! Lol... come on you know your going to do backflips just because it can!
That says a bit about the Flux HP right there. The Thunder Tiger MT4 can do standing backflips till the Lipos run out and you wouldn't break anything in the process.

As a rule 6S = breakages
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

well I have owned alot of monster trucks, e-revo, summit with mmm2200 combo, brushless emaxx, mt4 and lst2 brushless conversion...I own 3 savage flux's one hp with xl chassis, one stock hp, and one 2350... I no longer own any of the others..
Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Well, I'll tell you this, the MT4G4 can do standing backflips all day, because it doesn't have a locked transmission. In fact, it doesn't have a transmission like the Savage does, at all. It has a truggy driveline, being the motor is directly mounted the spur, which is the center differential.

Stock, the savage has 0 give in the drivetrain, unlike the MT4, because you HAVE to lock out the slipper clutch, and the rear differential eats poo-poo every time you abuse it, because it's the weakest thing against those hulked-out tranny gears. You can have an all-hardened steel drive train, but the weakest of those hardened steel things will fail. Those things are drive pins, spider gears, and pinions in the rear diff.

Stick a Robinson Racing Gen 3 super heavy duty slipper clutch assembly, and you'll cut those breakages by a good 90%+. Switch it out for a center diff, like the MT4, and you now have a near perfect drivetrain. Cool thing is, the Super 5sc-flux is built off the Savage Flux, using the same transmission housing.
"So what? Who cares! That's a fifth scale truck!!"
Well, it uses the same transmission housing, but all of it's gears are different. It HAS A CENTER DIFFERENTIAL!! You can simply swap out everything except the spur gear, and you essentially have a TOTALLY bullet-proof'd drive train. Either that, or get an Alza Racing center diff kit, and just use a center diff versus the whole transmission. Whatever floats your boat.

-edit-

That was leading off topic quickly. In a likely vain attempt to halt a de-rail-ment, I'll propose my interest in seeing a review of this, or at least an owners perspective as to how it drives. I want a durability montage, though!!

In comparison, physically, this new offering from Associated looks like it's based from the MT4, meaning the chassis is pretty much as-is, unlike the Savage. Very unlikely there will be 1/5 scale conversion kits out there for it, extended chassis, a TON of option parts like there are for the savage, etc.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey foodman the rival is based of the mgt platform...
Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just hope they release a conversion kit for the MGT like HPI did for the Nitro savage's.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm... so it is based on the MGT! Forgive my poor guess work, I'll reasearch before going off of a quick glance next time. ;D

When you say conversion kit... what do you mean?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

Heres a Great Runnin Video of The Rival with what broke at the end of it.

I personall think that thsi is the only thing that would break as its built similar to the MT4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oT8x...vZiChQ&index=4
Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Tech Champion

The Rival really is a good looking truck.. That video, though well put together and all, with all the slow-mo and whatever doesn't really show the performance. A non-slo-mo, no-music video would be preferable - just IMO - no offense..

And I see - the oft-mentioned dubiousness of MGT shocks seems to be justified..

So, new shocks are needed, and a new ESC...

I can see now though how this truck has potential. The MGT has always been really popular in Germany, and people here are always going on about how much tougher they are than Savages.. I guess the Rival does have some potential then.

The big question though is, how would you rate the Rival compared to the MT4 G3?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52 View Post
Hmm... so it is based on the MGT! Forgive my poor guess work, I'll reasearch before going off of a quick glance next time. ;D

When you say conversion kit... what do you mean?
A conversion for brushless and the longer wheelbase.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chadj1980 View Post
well I have owned alot of monster trucks, e-revo, summit with mmm2200 combo, brushless emaxx, mt4 and lst2 brushless conversion...I own 3 savage flux's one hp with xl chassis, one stock hp, and one 2350... I no longer own any of the others..
+1

The Flux HP is straight brutal on 6S...

Honestly, they all have good points....I like my BL LST's monster shocks....the Savage TVPs are crazy strong... Revo.3.3 MMM 2 speed withRobinson Racing gearsets....stupid fast

I've only had my rival for a week now....from what I've read thy could use towers and shocks out of the box.

Bottom line....you can't go wrong with a BL Monster Truck! I love them all!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

The Team Associated Rival has the pillow ball set up in the back and front same as the MGT 8.0 I never had a problem with the front but I can't go 5 min with out breaking the rear tie rod end , not a big fan of the pillow ball set up that for sure this one broke 2 min in to the run doing a small back flip.
You can tell the truck still looks new even thow it is over 2 years old that's because I can go 5 min without that tie rod end breaking , I've never had this problem with any of my savage's , just something to keep in mined
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
The Rival just came out give it time. I know the Rival will be durable since its the same chassis as the MGT just extended but not sure how the electronics will do.
Excellent point! A friend purchased a Rival this summer, and within the first month (maybe 8 packs through it) the esc went up in smoke. Better consider that when purchasing.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Thread revival time!

So years later when now trying to find decent used Savages and Rivals, what's the verdict?

Did the Rival hang tough with the Savage, or not enough people buy one to ever tell?

Only reason I ask is that a like new Rival is available for $300 and hard to get into a decent brushless HP or XL spec Savage for that price...

I have owned lots of Savages, all kinds and they are great - but might be time to try something different.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

holy necro batman!
Old 10-14-2016, 05:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Haha yea, I am just looking for long term owners/opinions on the Rival.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service