Wiki Posts
Search

Decided to convert to 1/5 scale. :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
no prob. All my info is from those who have gone before lol. Did alot of reading up to get the info I needed myself. The big thing from what people say is being able to get the right gearing for the setup you are using. The motor they include, the 2200Kv on 6S can be pushing it in my opinion personally. You probably would want a larger spur gear so you can use that in combo with a smaller pinion to get a better gearing range. Or, as I and others have done go with a motor that has lower Kv, preferrably with a longer can. Castle 1518 motor comes to mind for one. That is what my vehicle came with initially before trading it to a buddy and getting the Castle 1600Kv 1520 motor that from what I recall, has a can as long as the XO-1 motor.

And, a lot of the temps you will see will depend on what you plan to use the vehicle for. Are you lots of high speed action or slower driving, etc.

Me, I am thinking of making this more of a glorified rock racer or something to rumble over stuff with, so going with 4S setup on the same motor versus the 6S.
I think I will use these batteries for now, just dial down the throttle and gearing down to where I only get around 27 or so mph( keeping my temps down) my gearing is pretty much as high as I can get I'm running an idler mount with a 21t pinion with a 52t spur lol

I'm thinking 14 or 15t pinion, with the oversize 7"+ tires I will have to go down lower than that probably. I also have to worry about grenading the drivetrain(still running the 3speed tranny) locked into 3rd of course, How do I tell if the diffs are upgraded, there is almost zero slop in the ring and pinion and the front diff is an alloy of some sort, but I don't know if that was stock on the savage x ss 4.6 (And to answer a previous ? I am running extended axles with the purple spacers.)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hellfiresavage7
I think I will use these batteries for now, just dial down the throttle and gearing down to where I only get around 27 or so mph( keeping my temps down) my gearing is pretty much as high as I can get I'm running an idler mount with a 21t pinion with a 52t spur lol

I'm thinking 14 or 15t pinion, with the oversize 7"+ tires I will have to go down lower than that probably. I also have to worry about grenading the drivetrain(still running the 3speed tranny) locked into 3rd of course, How do I tell if the diffs are upgraded, there is almost zero slop in the ring and pinion and the front diff is an alloy of some sort, but I don't know if that was stock on the savage x ss 4.6 (And to answer a previous ? I am running extended axles with the purple spacers.)
Don't know about the diffs, never messed with the nitro versions, this one was actually my first savage lol.

I highly recommend you look into the bearing mod I mentioned when using the extended axles. All you have to do is find bearing similar in dimensions (I used 2 bearings to represent 1 spacer). The bearings were big in outer diameter, but the width and inner diameter were good to go. I believe they were roller bearings for blinds?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Don't know about the diffs, never messed with the nitro versions, this one was actually my first savage lol.

I highly recommend you look into the bearing mod I mentioned when using the extended axles. All you have to do is find bearing similar in dimensions (I used 2 bearings to represent 1 spacer). The bearings were big in outer diameter, but the width and inner diameter were good to go. I believe they were roller bearings for blinds?
I guess I'm not understanding the picture you are trying to explain, The bearing would take the place of the purple spacer?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I see what you mean more surface area for the adapter to back up too instead of that 1 to 2 mm thick spacer. I see now, if I don't use a bearing I will definitely upgrade that now that I think of it that seems it would be a weak link.

thanks for the info on that
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by hellfiresavage7
I see what you mean more surface area for the adapter to back up too instead of that 1 to 2 mm thick spacer. I see now, if I don't use a bearing I will definitely upgrade that now that I think of it that seems it would be a weak link.

thanks for the info on that
I got pics of what I did, if you search for cainlord photobucket savage it should pull up. bearings were cheap, I think like $2 or $3 a bearing now. considering the cost of axles ...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

I got pics of what I did, if you search for cainlord photobucket savage it should pull up. bearings were cheap, I think like $2 or $3 a bearing now. considering the cost of axles ...
Man that is one clean monster, I hope to be there one day. So you don't use the flux battery mounts?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Legend

If you mean the trays, I did with the dual 3S lipos I had, but they woudl fit down the middle just fine. Originally I was going to use a separate receiver pack to power the servos (was going to do a dual servo setup), I still may. just need to decide where to put it lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I want to convert mine to 1/5 but the bodies and tire/wheels are expensive!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That sucker is dying to have a castle 1717 on 6s shoved in there..that combo would definitely throw around the car. But you also need 4wd with too much power or else it's a waste
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Tech Legend

yeah, 1/5 scale as far as prices for stuff isn't for the faint of heart lol. Just look at MCD part replacement prices. And the funny thing is,some items are very similar in size, etc to stuff in the 1/8 scale MT size,but at significantly more inprice.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Legend

pics of the bearing mod:

Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by muney
That sucker is dying to have a castle 1717 on 6s shoved in there..that combo would definitely throw around the car. But you also need 4wd with too much power or else it's a waste
It is already insane we will see what happens with the oversize tires though.

It is 4wd though.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've got a desert boy stretched savage xl with a 1717/mmm combo; I picked it up used, but only got about 15 minutes of jackassery on 6s before glazing my slipper to nothing.

What are you planning on running?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Nice build!! but to big for me!! xl is perfect for bashing arround :P
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mtm68
I've got a desert boy stretched savage xl with a 1717/mmm combo; I picked it up used, but only got about 15 minutes of jackassery on 6s before glazing my slipper to nothing.

What are you planning on running?
I have the stock one locked down for now, I will upgrade once I have an issue with it, I'm sure cain can help you with that his isn't stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.