Wiki Posts
Search

Diff Oil Thread - How To- What They Do

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Diff Oil Thread - How To- What They Do

I have been researching this and am getting ready to do some diff work on two of my Losi's and im curious as to what and how is affects the performance.

Example #1 if i go heavier up front and lower in the rear what should i expect?

Example #2 if i go lighter up front and heavier in the back, what should i expect?

Example #3 if i go with the same weight in the front and back, what should i expect?

What weights are good for casual bashing? What is overkill? What weight is not enough, is there a minimum?

Is it good to lock them out?

How often should it be replaced? When it's gray? What if mine is black? Should i worry about replacing gears?

Discuss please..
Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Heavier up front with lighter in the back gives you better high speed handling, more likely to track and stay straight. Also if the rear end gets loose, it's easier to recover with thick oil in the front. When going into a turn, the car will push less, and turn in a lot better.

Heavier in rear, lighter in front. Well I've never heard of anyone doing this. I supposed you could, it would make the rear end a lot looser, it will be more apt to sliding out, going off track, etc. the truck will push into turns, you would need to decel and possibly tap the brakes going into the turn to get the front wheels to plant.

Both equal, depending on weight, would make the truck either stable or unstable.

I run ofna 100k fluid in the front and rear of the flux hp, simply because of the power it has. It can still easily spin the tire with the lesser traction into an exploding rubber balloon pizza cutter, but 100k helps settle it. It reacts slow enough I don't have to worry about the power switching wheel to wheel constantly going over rough and bumpy surfaces. 100k is way too thick for all my other trucks, but the 8th scale bl on 6s puts out some serious power.

The summit gets 10k, because it has the lockable diffs, so I keep light oil in the diffs and lock them when I want a thick oil feel.

My sct and buggies gets 10k front, 3k rear with 7k in the center diff.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not good to lock diffs, your outside tire will always have to spin a tad more in a turn, you will get wheel hop, tire wear and it's hard on the driveline.

The black oil in your diffs is a result of gear wear but mainly oxidation/friction. It's the same reason you can put fresh clear oil in a aluminum shock, move it up and down a few times and you now have gray oil. Diff oils all come down to what your trying to accomplish with your truck and your driving style. In a race vehicle I change diff oil & shock oil after every race day. In a MT I used to do it every 1/2 gallon or so.