Search

Tunning savage shock

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tunning savage shock

hello savage bashers
i am new to this site.

I have a savage x ss nitro. i have currently been jumping around 3 to 4ft with the stock shock, with no problems. I notice any bigger i bottom out on the chassis over time that hard on the bearings and engine. however i want to go bigger. i currently have the black coils which are hpi#6749 14.4x117x1.4 26 coils with are the stiffest from hpi.
The oil which is stock is 30wt. The suspension is bone stock.

what i need is taller springs to maximize the shocks full travel.
Any ideals or Input?

i don't have any spare springs to cut them and pcs in two springs. but if i have to i will or maybe cut a softer spring and run a small spacer to make my own dual rate spring. possibly changing the oil too. around 35wt or 40wt.

i purchase some triple rate spring form rcraven on ebay which don't buy them they suck..... and there only dual rate not triple. The 2nd rate never start unit the chassis is on the ground. LOL They look good, but no design well.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Get a set of the flux big bores
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All you have to do is use thicker oil and it will solve your problem.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Initiate

im running 50wt and adjusted the preload down to about 1/4 -1/2 inch. Having no issues with any jump
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Rookie

my friend has a savage x f4.6 RTR which has the big bores they are dual rate. They are stock. I took them apart and the piston is a 4 hole design with heavier oil. The shaft is bigger,I tryed to take the front off and install 4 of them in the rear but the header is in the way. The big bore springs are about 5mm shorter then the dual shock springs.

I see no benefit from the big bores i thing hpi did this because its cheap to mass product 4 of them then 8 on one truck. My friend has 3 spacers just to achieve the same ride height as i have, but i have only one 10mm spacer with is the stock large spacer.

I have been thinking about this and cutting a softer spring and installing with the stock will make them dual rate plus having the soft short travel to adsorb the small bumps. reset the ride height and i try and see.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Rookie

upbasher

what oil wt are you running? silicone or mineral?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

90wt outboard motor gear lube