R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Losi XXL or New Savage Coming? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/703480-losi-xxl-new-savage-coming.html)

redneck47441 02-09-2013 05:09 PM

Losi XXL or New Savage Coming?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Losi XXL I've done enough research to know I'lllove it . But I see there's a new HPI savage coming out that's easier maintenence then previous models also has big bore shocks which I assume will in turn improve the handling of the savage. What I'm asking is would yall wait on the new savage or go ahead and get the Losi XXL?

hotrod87 02-09-2013 05:15 PM

I'm saving for the new 2stroke Savage . No question here. If youve ever ran a baja You'll understand.

"WormGrunter" 02-09-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod87 (Post 11795110)
I'm saving for the new 2stroke Savage . No question here. If youve ever ran a baja You'll understand.

+1

hotrod87 02-09-2013 07:16 PM

I was worried it wouldn't have enough power . Now that I've been running Baja' s I'm not worried anymore. If it's light on power I'll use my nitrous on it. :-)

GrimReminder 02-09-2013 07:52 PM

XL Octane all the way.

m0thertruckah1 02-09-2013 08:08 PM

When is the octane comin out?

jrowles91 02-11-2013 05:40 PM

I've been seeing from a bunch of people where I bash that the XXL is as good as it gets right now. I had an old LST2 and it was fantastic! I'd get the XXL if I had the cash.

Herrsavage 02-11-2013 09:56 PM

XXL for sure.

Even IF - and that's a huge IF - the new Savage doesn't have a laundry list of bugs that need to be worked out as with all new cars, and doesn't cost a fortune..., I'd still prefer a nitro over a gasser. And the Losi XXL is about as good an MT nitro package as has ever been available. A gasser Savage will also just never be as fast as an XXL.

The idea of a $500 reliable gasser 8th scale Savage is nice, yes.. But I would be really shocked if it that becomes reality within the next two years... I personally would rather have a nitro 5th scale.. :) Seriously though, 8th scale is the sweet spot for nitro. Very good speed is possible, for a good price, without blowing up drivetrains etc.. My first LST2 is SIX years old, and still going great.. (and honestly maintenance has been minimal..) Traxxas in general and HPI with the by-all-accounts crummy XL engine are still giving nitro a bad name. The XXL's LRP Spec 3 twin is a much better engine though than those.

rubiconon37's 02-12-2013 05:20 AM

If you can wait the savage XL octane is the way to go ! $3.50 give or take for a gallon of gas vs. close to $30 plus for nitro. Gasoline as a fuel is easier to tune and less temperature and humidity effected than nitro and they are saying close to 30 minute run times. It is also using an XL 3 speed trans that's been out forever and no more glow plugs or igniter needed. The xxl is a good truck and comes with a good radio but the savage is the king monster truck and the new octane is going to make all other company's have to change what they are doing!

Herrsavage 02-12-2013 06:55 AM

Just read on a German site that the gasser Savage as presented at the Nuernberg toy fair had several mock-up parts on it(they said 3-D printer..), so full-on production is still going to be a while.

aqeel200 02-12-2013 07:44 AM

my personal opinion:-

1. i like the speed that a nitro systems gives out. I have 3 LST2 and have been using it for more than 5 years and loving it. I also have a flux but mainly uses it when i want to have an EP feeling once in a while and for my 8 year old to use it as a plug and play.

2. I would not buy the Savage XL octane just yet, as this will be a pilot on an 1/8 scale. being a pilot and pioneer(am I right?), there are bound to be some 'unknown factors' such as - speed, acceleration, top speed(yes its a 3 speed), durability and reliability of the engine, parts and gears - a 16cc engine is a lot heavier than a .32 nitro engine.

3. being a pilot, pioneer, I would wait for:-

a) feedbacks from RC community/forum who has tested /use it. what are the known issues, what are the weak points, what are the strong points etc etc

b) feedbacks from HPI themselves - are there any known published fixes that they did when the pilot is already out..etc etc

only then I would decide to get the XL Octane. If I want to get a truck now and cannot wait, I would go for a nitro truck - all problem/strength/weaknesses are already known. technical issues can be assisted by experience MT nitro users by brand/model or in general. - XXL is my prefered good choice against the rest - reason - my LST2 can jump a long double at our local track with ease and with good air flight/control without any difficulty, compared to the rest of the brand.

just my 2 cents.

HOT PURSUIT 02-12-2013 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by rubiconon37's (Post 11805190)
If you can wait the savage XL octane is the way to go ! $3.50 give or take for a gallon of gas vs. close to $30 plus for nitro. Gasoline as a fuel is easier to tune and less temperature and humidity effected than nitro and they are saying close to 30 minute run times. It is also using an XL 3 speed trans that's been out forever and no more glow plugs or igniter needed. The xxl is a good truck and comes with a good radio but the savage is the king monster truck and the new octane is going to make all other company's have to change what they are doing!

I Second That! http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0052.gif

sur3fir3 02-13-2013 04:16 PM

If you want something new now, go with the XXL, I am afraid that this new Octane release will have bugs, tons of em. I really hope that is not the case, but I would at least wait a good 6 months+ before THINKING about buying one.

rubiconon37's 02-14-2013 05:23 AM

Two stroke gas motors have been used by hpi for quite some time now in the Baja lineup of trucks. It uses the same arms, diffs, and bulkheads and trans from XL . I wouldn't be that worried especially with hpi's customer support!

HOT PURSUIT 02-14-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by rubiconon37's (Post 11814066)
Two stroke gas motors have been used by hpi for quite some time now in the Baja lineup of trucks. It uses the same arms, diffs, and bulkheads and trans from XL . I wouldn't be that worried especially with hpi's customer support!

Exactly! http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0017.gif