Losi XXL or New Savage Coming?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXL or New Savage Coming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Buyer beware... And that even after it comes out in a year or whatever..

Just look at the Savage XL. Nice truck, been out a long while now. But even then, many people will say you pretty much need a new engine right off the get-go.

What if the HPI engine sucks? What other alternatives will there be that can fit the chassis? And so on..

I do hope it works out - and is affordable.. - but I won't be holding my breath.. Especially coming from HPI.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rubiconon37's
Two stroke gas motors have been used by hpi for quite some time now in the Baja lineup of trucks. It uses the same arms, diffs, and bulkheads and trans from XL . I wouldn't be that worried especially with hpi's customer support!
The fact that hpi has been using 2 stroke gas engines in their 5th scales means nothing. The 2 strokes in those vehicles had been around long before hpi decided to make a vehicle to put them in. As far as I know, the motor for this new savage will be the only one of its kind. It is half the size of the 2 stroke gassers used in the bajas. When this new Savage comes out your only motor choice will be the one it comes with. I don't mean to sound so negative because it looks pretty cool. If it makes great power and tunes easily, I think it could be a great alternative to nitro. I have to admit that paying $30 a gallon for nitro really sucks.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? 15cc Gas Engines

Is the 15cc gas engine HPI is using for the Savage XL Octane the same one that come in the R/C Airplane?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I work as the mechanic at a very busy hobby shop and tune vehicles all day long. The XL motor is not the easiest to tune but its far from the worst! It does make good power and its fast. One thing that motor needs as a mandatory upgrade on every one is a better clutch. Put an aluminum clutch with stiffer clutch springs and it will idle better and not want to stall when you lower the idle when tuning and it will take off with more punch.
This is a little off topic I'm sorry.