Battery Question for Savage Flux HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Battery Question for Savage Flux HP

Hello

I'm thinking about buying a rolling chassis for a Savage Flux HP

I had one before and I loved it - who wouldn't, eh?

But now, the only battery packs I have are four cell 5000 mAh and they won't fit.

Is there a reasonable solution to this? If there was a way to put one of these packs in the middle and on top? If I could figure this out, it seems like (a) the body wouldn't fit, and (b) the truck would be too top heavy for bashing.

I know this is a stupid question - maybe I should just buy more 2S 4000 mAh packs for this truck and go with it.

I also thought about making a one-sided custom battery tray from aluminum just for my battery packs. I'm sure that could be done but again, I'm wondering if this would prevent the body from fitting.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

i swapped my battery boxes so they were reversed and the body barely cleared the hinge. I'm not sure how wide your 4s battery is but i'm thinkin it would be too wide. If not that much you could raise the body up and make your own box. The stock box sits away from the frame so maybe you could build it tight to frame and that would help. And maybe building one for each side to keep weight even and run 2 - 4s in parralell for a longer run time??
Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Running two 4S 5000 mAh batteries in parallel? Dang, I'd have to measure the run times in hours, not minutes (ha). Also, it seems that other problems could occur with a "two mega-pack" battery setup:
  1. Too heavy for stock suspension
  2. Would slow it down
  3. Might add stress to the motor &/or ESC &/or drivetrain (diff's, dogbones, et cetera)
  4. Extra weight could lead to more broken parts during crashing

The body I'm going to use (LINK) is 6.9" wide and Tower Hobbies indicates the stock HPI Savage Flux body is 7.5" (LINK) so it looks like that plan won't work very well.

That's okay - sometimes you can make it work, sometimes you can't.

I think I need to move on to "Plan B" . . . it's all good.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

lol was worth a try...are the batteries that much heavier?? people add larger tires and rims on there...rotating mass is much harder on the driveline than just weight. as for suspension you would prob run the risk of bending the shock towers i would say but if you added 4 more big bores to it they would equal the pressure out on the towers.....all in all your better off to buy 2s batteries lol but wheres the fun in that