Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Series or parallel dual motor connection? >

Series or parallel dual motor connection?

Series or parallel dual motor connection?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Series or parallel dual motor connection?

Hello all,
I'm trying to find out more about the above. Wat are the pros and cons with respect to run time, speed and torque of motors connected in series or in parallel and running off a single 6cell pack.
Any inputs with respect to the topic is welcome. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Not knowing from experience, but replying with electrical knowledge....
A series of two motors will give you longer run time, but slower speed/torque.
A parallel of two motors will give you a shorter run time, but more speed/torque.

Or for the best of both, set up a parallel, then make or buy a y-connector for the batteries that make them run in a parallel.---two batteries, with the voltage split between two motors.... ---this I DO know from experience...
Old 04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

I is easy to make a parallel battery connector. Take two male connectors, and one female connector.

Last edited by Dyer13; 04-18-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanx Dyer13
. But I got questions pertainig to your reply. Pls see below.

1) A series of two motors will give you longer run time, but slower speed/torque. ->Why?
2) A parallel of two motors will give you a shorter run time, but more speed/torque.->Why?

Or for the best of both, set up a parallel(motor or battery?), then make or buy a y-connector for the batteries that make them run in a parallel.---two batteries, with the voltage split between two motors.... ---this I DO know from experience...

What effect will i get if I raise the supply voltage, say, increasing the battery cells to 10 instead of running twin 6cell batts (weight issue). And also, with twin 6cell pack, how much voltage does my esc see? I'll be using the Super Rooster rated for 10cell max(12V)
Thank you very much.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Ares17
Thanx Dyer13
. But I got questions pertainig to your reply. Pls see below.

1) A series of two motors will give you longer run time, but slower speed/torque. ->Why?
2) A parallel of two motors will give you a shorter run time, but more speed/torque.->Why?
***series, is running one motor after the other....The voltage is split (theoretically) equally, so you wont have full power, like you would with one motor. Say with one motor it runs off about 7 volts. With two in a series, the voltage is split, so each motor only runs off about 3.5 volts....see???

***Parallel, is running two motors side by side hooked up to the same battery. 7 volts goes through the wires on the battery, which go through the motors. If 7 volts goes through the battery wires, and the leads of both motors are connected to the battery, 7 volts now runs through the battery wire, and both the motors....you follow??? So each motor is running off of 7 volts. The consequence of this is, since two motors are running off 7 volts, the battery is losing "juice" (known as AMPS) twice as fast.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

What effect will i get if I raise the supply voltage, say, increasing the battery cells to 10 instead of running twin 6cell batts (weight issue). And also, with twin 6cell pack, how much voltage does my esc see? I'll be using the Super Rooster rated for 10cell max(12V)
Thank you very much.
Say you raise the cell number to oh I don't know.....12 cells (6 cells x 2), this would be the exact same thing as hooking up two 6 cell batteries in a SERIES, and about 14.4 volts would be going through your ESC. That is okay if your ESC can handle it (10 cells), but you will still lose "juice" in half the time if you have your motors hooked up in a Parallel, b/c the voltage is still split...It would give both motors about 6 volts to go through it, but still you would have less running time...

With two 6 cell batteries in a PARALLEL, only 7.2 volts will be running through your ESC, you will have twice as much run time, because 7.2 volts is going to both motors, and you will have "Normal" speed/power.

******** Or even better for the best of both.....hook up TWO 10 cell batteries in a PARALLEL!!!
This will give you more speed/torqe/power, and twice as much run time!!! Screech...I can here the burning of rubber now.....lol
Old 04-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanx Dyer13. That was intensive I'm getting there...almost.

So, if I connect 2x22T motors in parallel, the esc will think it's running off 1x 11T motor right? And if I connect 2 6cell packs in parallel, my esc will see 7.2V instead of 14.4 V. Am I right? My esc will not burn right? cause its rated for 10cell=12V only.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Yea , it wont burn up. The ESC will "think" it is running two 22 t motors. It wont really affect it, and the motors shouldn't be pulling too much amperage for your ESC...is there a max. AMPerage rating for your ESC?? It shouldn't matter.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Each motor pulls a certain amount of Amperage. say if they each pull about 1/2 amp, all together they are pulling 1 Amp through the ESC. Most can handle more than 1 amp, but check and make sure.....If it can't handle that, you may burn up your ESC. Also, If it can't handle that, it may be better to just run the 12 volts, with the motors in a parallel, and just buy a few more batteries, and keep them charged and replcae them after one dies...

Question...Are you going to be racing, or crawling...meaning do you want more speed, or more torque???
Old 04-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Thanx Dyer13. That was intensive I'm getting there...almost.
Yea, you are welcome...Electronics can get really confusing, fast, if you dont know the basics, but after that, it isn't too hard...
Old 04-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Or two of these in a Parallel, or one would do the trick!!! lol ---and save weight too!!!
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKA1&P=ML
Old 04-19-2005, 03:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm looking for massive torque for my TXT.Thanx a million dude. You're a great help..
Old 04-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Torque=Power Power=Voltage... Minus as much weight as possible....plus Lipo (Li-Poly) Batteries= Lots of TXT FUN!!!
I am glad to help...