Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
E-Revo race setup... >

E-Revo race setup...

E-Revo race setup...

Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

was just curious if you tried them out yourself bashem?

Last edited by TheKennyKiller; 03-13-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheKennyKiller View Post
I still don't "understand" why PRO3 are considered no good, like I said in my previous post they make my truck handle better, with PRO2 rockers my truck has heaps more body roll and it can't take turns as quickly, anyway I'll keep using them, not sure if I'm going to keep using this forum though.
Read droop and don't go anywhere, everyone has to learn. What I'd like to know is your set up (i.e. springs, pistons and oil wt) because more droop "P3's" usually means more body roll.

http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racin...-tuning-droop/

http://www.rccarswarehouse.com/how-t...rc-cars-droop/
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by TheKennyKiller; 03-13-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

ok nitro you've coaxed me back, sorry for coming off a little hostile. Thanks for the links, I'm learning a thing or two and I'm grateful for that. Now to be honest I changed my rockers at the same time as changing my springs and shock oil so while I do have less body roll than the stock setup it could be more from the springs and oil than the rockers. I was led to believe PRO3 rockers were ideal for on-road and track type of stuff, having said that I understand you need to use shorter pushrods with them which is something I wondered if you and bashem had done when trying them out.

Ok so my set-up (sorry for the thread hi-jack BTW, but hey you get that sometimes) I have silver springs up front with 50wt oil and blue springs in the rear with 60wt oil, almost no pre-load and stock pistons, I was looking into getting the variable damping kit a while back but never did. So what is a good all round setup in your opinion? Also, what you're telling me is the only way to tune droop on the E-Revo is to either use different rockers or put some fuel tubing on the shock shaft?
I liked the stock set up with 35wt. Stock Nitro was 30wt. I found the stock pistons were just fine with only 5wt more. My set up was nitro though. Your stock set up has 40wt stock I believe. I also liked 12 degree castor (bump steer), -2.0 camber (rear) 3 degree tow in, -1.5 camber (front) 1 degree tow out. Tow out up front will allow for more steering.

You can tune droop using spacers on the shock shaft too, I found fuel tube was suffice. When I race anything I always do a complete tear down and change all the fluids, learned that from an anal racer but I'll tell you what, I'm glad I did. I figure if your going to do it, do it all right Everyone will be different in the way they set up their rig for racing. It's pretty much trial and error till you find what works best for your driving and on your track with it's conditions. However, I would tune mine accordingly to what track I was running on. Lets not even get into how many sets of Truggy tires I had for different track conditions
Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by XxLoSiRaCeRxX View Post
Fixin to start racing our Revos this year. What color springs are you guys using and what weight shock oil are you using? Any other setup tips will be appreciated.
The only difference between a revo and e-revo is weight. try tan or black sping in the rear with 50wt oil, orange or gold the front with 50wt.

you should go to traxxas.com, see pit pass, lots of set-up sheets and how-to's for revo mods for racing.

Parts needed for racing : variable valve pistons, sway bars, traxxas alum. turnbuckles and push rods
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Tech Adept

ok nitro you've coaxed me back, sorry for coming off a little hostile. Thanks for the links, I'm learning a thing or two and I'm grateful for that. Now to be honest I changed my rockers at the same time as changing my springs and shock oil so while I do have less body roll than the stock setup it could be more from the springs and oil than the rockers. I was led to believe PRO3 rockers were ideal for on-road and track type of stuff, having said that I understand you need to use shorter pushrods with them which is something I wondered if you and bashem had done when trying them out.

Ok so my set-up (sorry for the thread hi-jack BTW, but hey you get that sometimes) I have silver springs up front with 50wt oil and blue springs in the rear with 60wt oil, almost no pre-load and stock pistons, I was looking into getting the variable damping kit a while back but never did. So what is a good all round setup in your opinion? Also, what you're telling me is the only way to tune droop on the E-Revo is to either use different rockers or put some fuel tubing on the shock shaft?
Your shock set-up may be to stiff. go to tan or black rear spring/50wt., orange or gold front/50wt. Change rocker to P2, with P1- P2 push rods. You should'nt use your shocks to limit droop, it will limit the shocks travel.

Droop is controlled by push rod position on the arms and by length of rod ( spacers ). ride hite should alway be "arms level". If you need less bodyroll than use sway bars.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jonboy1 View Post
Droop is controlled by push rod position on the arms and by length of rod ( spacers ). ride hite should alway be "arms level". If you need less bodyroll than use sway bars.
Correct. In my case and many others even with the rod in the outer most hole on the arm it was still too much droop. I've even used the P3 rocker with P2 rods and adjusted droop in the shocks. All depends on what set up works for you.

Originally Posted by jonboy1 View Post
You should'nt use your shocks to limit droop, it will limit the shocks travel.
That would be the whole point of adjusting your droop in the shock, it's supposed to limit the down travel.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

GOT NITRO, is your set-up for offroad or onroad? If offroad, is the track very smooth, because it sound like your running little to no droop. Is running push rod 3rd hole out on the arms with no spacer to much droop for your set-up?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

here is where I sit at. I use this onroad and offroad because it is a nice do all setup, but it's not right for absolutely everybody. I crank the ride up a little when I to the woods, but the 60wt and springs are right for any occasion.