LST XXL brushless

Reply

Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM
  #631  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: motorcity
Posts: 154
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default My xxl conversion

Hey finally got a new body and some new kicks for the old girl . i have been experimenting with motors in this truck , alternating a castle 1518,1520,and 1717. believe it or not the 1518 seems to have the most power ? i honeslty think i need a new 6s lipo to get the most out of the 1717. any way here are some pics .

traxxas fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:31 AM
  #632  
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,993
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Your current 6s may be tired but the kv difference also plays a role in how powerful it feels. This is especially true if you're using the same gearing with each motor. If you change the gearing to keep top speed the same between each motor the differences would become more apparent.

I've personally had all 3 of these as well. Loved them all, especially the 1518 and 1717. The 1518 is a little animal with a killer midrange. IMO the 1520 feels similar to the 1717 but a bit quicker to react to throttle changes than the 1717's larger diameter rotor when making mid air corrections. When compared to the 1518 the 1520 and 1717 do feel a little flat, powerful but in a broader, flatter power curve.
Overdriven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:31 AM
  #633  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
xirton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 162
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by traxxas fan View Post
alternating a castle 1518,1520,and 1717. believe it or not the 1518 seems to have the most power ?
Thing is the 1717 will easily deceive you, until you start pushing it. It truly is a beast on tall gearing and proper lipos, and not to mention the sheer weight that thing will push effortlessly is just amazing.

That beeing said my all time favourite is the 1520. It too needs to be pushed but my god the noise it makes is pure heaven! I've since never come across anything like it. My 1518 by the way is of completely diffrent nature (similar to the 1515), and have got me wonder if there's some unique variations going on.
xirton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:59 AM
  #634  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ramona, CA
Posts: 558
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by traxxas fan View Post
Hey finally got a new body and some new kicks for the old girl .
The Top Kick looks great. Can't seem to find how thick they are. Let us know how it holds up.

How do you like the Trenchers?
cmbscx10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 AM
  #635  
Tech Master
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,993
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xirton View Post
Thing is the 1717 will easily deceive you, until you start pushing it. It truly is a beast on tall gearing and proper lipos, and not to mention the sheer weight that thing will push effortlessly is just amazing.

That beeing said my all time favourite is the 1520. It too needs to be pushed but my god the noise it makes is pure heaven! I've since never come across anything like it. My 1518 by the way is of completely diffrent nature (similar to the 1515), and have got me wonder if there's some unique variations going on.
Good point about pushing the 1520 and 1717 with taller gearing, they really do like it. I run my 1717 powered XXL geared for 55mph theoretical on 6s, no fan and it just plain pulls hard.

I don't think there's really anything special going on with the 1518 though. There was never any mention about design variations, it's even still a 1Y wind like every other Castle motor. It's just unique in its kv and I think the shorter length makes the rotor lighter both lending to the different feel. On 6s the 1518 does remind me of the 1515 with that manic feeling from the midrange on up. My 1518 eventually settled into a 1/8 buggy on 5s geared for 55-60mph. With that setup it lost some of the surge on the top end and felt a little more like the bigger motors and their broader flatter power curves. IMO the 1515 on 5s has more of that manic feeling or surge of power from the midrange on up due to the higher kv. That's my impressions anyway.

Edit: Oh and a piece of advice. If you have any of these don't ever sell them! I wish I would've kept the 1518 and 1520 I had, one of them would be in my 8ight-t right now if I had.
Overdriven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 AM
  #636  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: motorcity
Posts: 154
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default advice taken

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
Good point about pushing the 1520 and 1717 with taller gearing, they really do like it. I run my 1717 powered XXL geared for 55mph theoretical on 6s, no fan and it just plain pulls hard.

I don't think there's really anything special going on with the 1518 though. There was never any mention about design variations, it's even still a 1Y wind like every other Castle motor. It's just unique in its kv and I think the shorter length makes the rotor lighter both lending to the different feel. On 6s the 1518 does remind me of the 1515 with that manic feeling from the midrange on up. My 1518 eventually settled into a 1/8 buggy on 5s geared for 55-60mph. With that setup it lost some of the surge on the top end and felt a little more like the bigger motors and their broader flatter power curves. IMO the 1515 on 5s has more of that manic feeling or surge of power from the midrange on up due to the higher kv. That's my impressions anyway.

Edit: Oh and a piece of advice. If you have any of these don't ever sell them! I wish I would've kept the 1518 and 1520 I had, one of them would be in my 8ight-t right now if I had.
Yeah I plan on keeping them all thanks for the advice I put the 1717 back in along with a 28 tooth pinion . Seems to pull harder with the new 5s lipo i am running . I think i will try the new Graphene 6s 65c lipo and see what that does .
traxxas fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:33 PM
  #637  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: motorcity
Posts: 154
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
The Top Kick looks great. Can't seem to find how thick they are. Let us know how it holds up.

How do you like the Trenchers?
Thanks the Top Kick is about .060" thick . As for the trenchers they are great transformed how the truck runs . I have the stock atx and road rash on the same wheels , these are way lighter so the truck jumps tons better and has better over all grip just wish i had tape them to run on 6s they balloon pretty good . The trenchers are the best hop up i have tried so far .
traxxas fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:28 PM
  #638  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 429
Default

Originally Posted by traxxas fan View Post
Yeah I plan on keeping them all thanks for the advice I put the 1717 back in along with a 28 tooth pinion . Seems to pull harder with the new 5s lipo i am running . I think i will try the new Graphene 6s 65c lipo and see what that does .
I run mine on 5s with a 29t pinion, it's a blast for sur!
BuGgYBaShEr.28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:40 PM
  #639  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
xirton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 162
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
I don't think there's really anything special going on with the 1518 though. There was never any mention about design variations
Sorry, my formulation in the last post wasn't too precise. What I meant to say is that my 1520 motor is quite unique with regard to sound. It has this addictive whine to it like brushless boats on water and former V10 powered F1 cars. The 1518 motor on the other hand is more identical to a 1515, and sounds infact nothing special. Designwise they're all the same so I've always wondered why this is(?). By unique variations I was refering in terms of unintentional variations (nano levels).

I have no intention of parting with any of these great motors My 1518 currently sits in my Savage Flux as 1800 kv gives me plenty more gearing/tire options with the Alza center diff, and the 1520 is just about the perfect 1/8 truggy motor.
xirton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:05 PM
  #640  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: motorcity
Posts: 154
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 29 t pinion

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28 View Post
I run mine on 5s with a 29t pinion, it's a blast for sur!
i have a traxxas 29 th xo1 pinion i will have to give it a shot thanks for the info
traxxas fan is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service