Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
LST XXL brushless >

LST XXL brushless

LST XXL brushless

Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

my experience (together with sources from other forumers elsewhere)tells me this..

When nitro - the 3/4 turn out slipper pads after full close is somewhat has a lot of variance - you cannot feel the difference if it is >3/4 turn or <3/4 turn out..ie 5-10 minute turn difference may not make much of a difference. .

When BL - the 3/4 turn out slipper pads has little variance - meaning it suddenly became very sensitive...<3/4 turn, =3/4 turn and >3/4 turn has a whole lot of difference - due to high torque of the BL motor.

for BL, adjust the nut to the point that you like in minutes..

I cant remember how i set my slipper pads but the above may gives you some idea.

just sharing
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default lst2

Hey, my lst2 e set up is xxl conversion with the carbon fiber top chassis and the Losi bottom 3 plates. Im running the 1600kv 1520 neu castle motor on 6s only. I use anywhere from a 24-30t pinion from Tekno and the ti-ni 63t spur gear. Im using the TD mount and single speed gear. with the foc also. what else?.....OH im using the mamba monster also with my own mount made from plexi glass 1/2". Using a traxxas revo esc waterproof box and still have both stock servos. holdong up but reallyu weak. the most important money i spent on the truck though was in the diffs, I went all out and bought all the ti-ni gearing and aluminum cases. also buy the hd diff holder the same one they use in the 8ight. Using rpm arms and proline badlands on desperados. If you post your number ill text you pics Or just text me and ill text you back asap and try and help you out. itll be your favorite as it remains mine and i never even drive it
Chris 253-230-2661
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by just_now
Below are my recomendations.

First, decide how many cells you are planning to run. 4, 5, or 6 cells

esc/motor:

4 cell, Castle Mamba Monster with 2200KV (1515) motor
5 cell, Castle Mamba Monster with 1800KV (1518) motor
6 cell, Castle Mamba Monster with 1600KV (1520) motor
or
6 cell, Castle Mamba Monster with 1580KV (1717) motor

tdr mount: best mount in my opinion, just make sure you get the 4mm mount for the 1717 motor.

battery tray: I used the RC Monster 50x150 tray for $20.00

pinion: 24 or 25 teeth, depends on the top speed you are looking for
Hi, got a few questions

Is this combo possible too?
6 cell, Castle Mamba Monster with 2200KV (1515) motor

TDR motor mount = best. Can you elaborate a bit?

battery tray. Losi conversion kit comes with one why buy the RC monster tray?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Another question, I saw some guys talking about Traxxas esc box for...?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the traxxas rx box is a waterproof box and seals and protects ur rx so its a good choice if you want some waterproof ability
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LGWGM
Hi, got a few questions

Is this combo possible too?
6 cell, Castle Mamba Monster with 2200KV (1515) motor

TDR motor mount = best. Can you elaborate a bit?

battery tray. Losi conversion kit comes with one why buy the RC monster tray?
OK well I've got 2 E-lst2s I will answer to the best of my ability, I am no expert.

THe TDR motor mounts is milled from high grade aluminum it allows pinion sizes greater than 29T while with the losi kit 29T is the max, without mods. Also with the TDR kit u can use your own heatsink/fan

I've use castle, but for my lsts my 1550kv T8 from tekin owns on 6s. I can gear it to 34/63 and still have crazy torque and high speed. If you really want castle go for it, but for me tekin is better.

*note I own 3 different motor mounting options.. the losi, the TDR, and a custom one. I like the tdr the best.*
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

dammmmm...this is the 2nd time you have made me wishing I changed all my MMM to a TEkin..hhuhuhu..one day soon I will ..hehehehe.

when the time comes, i will for sure check with you on the setup bro.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rustlererad3
the traxxas rx box is a waterproof box and seals and protects ur rx so its a good choice if you want some waterproof ability
Thanks for the input.

Just need to know if I can use the Traxxas rx box without cutting the battery tray (double -> single)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sur3fir3
OK well I've got 2 E-lst2s I will answer to the best of my ability, I am no expert.

THe TDR motor mounts is milled from high grade aluminum it allows pinion sizes greater than 29T while with the losi kit 29T is the max, without mods. Also with the TDR kit u can use your own heatsink/fan

I've use castle, but for my lsts my 1550kv T8 from tekin owns on 6s. I can gear it to 34/63 and still have crazy torque and high speed. If you really want castle go for it, but for me tekin is better.

*note I own 3 different motor mounting options.. the losi, the TDR, and a custom one. I like the tdr the best.*
Will the TDR tekin motor mount fit on Hobbywing motor?

Only used the castle as an example since that's what the other guy mentioned previously. I'm more onto Tekin RX8/T8 but ended up buying the Hobbywing 2200KV due to price difference

Anyway, I'm trying to understand what would happen if I will use 6 cell on 2200KV motor? Or any link that explains what cell/motor combo is better?

own heatsink/fan = custom? third party?
could you please elaborate a bit?

Pinion: What pinion should I be looking for?

Ps: Wouldn't it be better if I will buy the battery tray and Front/Rear Bevel Gear Set (28/17) only instead of buying the Losi e-conversion kit since I'm not using most of the parts from the kit (pinion, heatsink, motor mount)?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Using 6s/2200kv in an LST can result in high top speed and heat. 6s/2200kv geared 20t pinion 66t spur, XXL tires and trans is 48mph before any tire ballooning is factored in. Personally I wouldn't gear the Hobbywing (or a similar size motor) for a top speed any higher than that to start out, watch temps either way.

I wouldn't get the Losi E-conversion bevel gears if using a 2200kv on 6s. The E-conversion bevel gears have the highest top speed, the LST1/Aftershock gears are the slowest and the XXL are in the middle. You already need 20/66 to keep the speed under 50mph with 6s/2200kv on XXL bevel gears, going smaller on the pinion may not be possible because a smaller pinion moves the motor closer to the trans and it may hit. I'm also unsure if a larger than 66t spur is available that fits on the 2nd gear/single speed hub. Either way there's no clearance issues going bigger on the pinion, so I'd keep the XXL bevel gears or maybe even swap to LST1/aftershock gears if needed.

As for fans, Sur3fer3 is reffering to the ability to add one to the motor (if needed/desired) when running the TDR mount. The Losi mount doesn't allow a fan to be added since it surrounds the motor.

Battery box is a matter of choice. I ran a cut down Losi mounted up front and had a Hyper box too. The RC-Monster piece is nice looking and also has a shelf cut into it that goes over the step in the chassis where the front plate mounts. I ran an E-Revo Rx box and did have to clearance the Losi tray a bit. The Stampede box is a bit more compact. Both are waterproof and make things nice and neat, 2 good reasons to consider them. I also cut away most of the bottom of a LST Rx box to mount it further forward. Didn't need a plate to mount it as I used the shock tower screws for mounting. Getting the wires in and out with the battery box mounted was a pain though.

LST2 with cut down Losi battery box with cut down LST Rx box

LST2 with cut down Losi battery box and E-Revo Rx box
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Awesome
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Overdriven. That's very informative post.

I got another question though, why most guys use 6s? What's the advantage? (longer run time only?)

I'm leaning towards 4s setup to be able to use single LiPo pack. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
4s 5000mAh + Hobbywing 2200KV + 25T pinion + Front/Rear Bevel Gear Set (28/17) + Trencher X
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Power....
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brokenparts
Power....
I don't quite get it. They use 6s for more power yet they lower the throttle power down to 60% due to over power? Why not use 4s then?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Tech Master

i believe it is a matter of personal preference and risk taking.

ie. you have a base config on ESC..with the same config, 6S produce more power than 4S..i occasionally use 6S and this is the result - at mid high speed, i can pop a wheelie...when using 4S, maybe i could not easily do that.

Do I dare to use 6S all the time with that setting?

No..I would not.

this is my set up -

a) with 4S, the ESC config is very rigourous - i can do this because i know the heat is below the threshold..

b) When I use 6S - i have to tone down the ESC from rigorous to mild..and this allows me to do wheelie at mid high speed.

So I set my ESC to 4S and use 4S and occasionally use 6S on the same setting - but i have to watch the temp as it is nearing the threshold limit.

IF I set my ESC config to mild 6S setting, and I use 4S..mannnn, its sloww...

So i believe its a matter of preference and risk taking.

Still toning down is a matter of preference to suit your needs and environmental (climate - tropical hot, cold, winter, terrain etc) for you to perfect your enjoyment..ie..at a short and technical track with no high speed, one has to gear it up properly (gear ratios, CB, Pinion) so that you can maximize what you want to get.

just my 2 cents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.