Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
how accurate is this temp guage? >

how accurate is this temp guage?

how accurate is this temp guage?

Old 04-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default how accurate is this temp guage?

http://atomikrc.com/products.html

tonight i was using this temp guage for my tmaxx (2.5), and, the hottest it said it got was 190 degrees, but there was smoke or steam or whatever coming off the head, and it sounded as if it were overheating when u gave it gas. so, my question is, does anyone know if this is this a very accurate temp guage, becasue right now i'm starting to have my doubts. thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't know what the accuracy of that product is, but I wouldn't buy one. I have a Raytek gun and it works great. It's more expensive than some guns(I gave $90), but what is the value of an engine rebuild in comparison? Get yourself a reputable piece, like the Raytek or an MIP onboard gauge, and I'll bet you'll be happier.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Atomik actually isn't too bad of products , i have one just like it except made by a different company . . just looks like different paint and their logo on it . . but mine is very accurate
Old 04-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

thank u guys for the help.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

what nirtroRCracer was referring to was the Duratrax Flashpoint. It's very accurate, and is very small Thing I don't like about Rayteks is that they are over priced. The little lazer pointer is a novelty, and doesn't serve much of a purpose. So $24, or $90...granted the Raytek has a few more features. But I would pick the $24 one.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure how old your Atomik temp gun is, but if the battery is low your temp will be incorrect. I use the same one and it works very well. It also does not work on shinny heads. Just some thoughts?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by NNADS
Not sure how old your Atomik temp gun is, but if the battery is low your temp will be incorrect. I use the same one and it works very well. It also does not work on shinny heads. Just some thoughts?
the battery is fine. i can tell because in the top of the screen it tells how much power u have got left, and it looks to be good.

what engine do u use urs on? i use mine on my TRX 2.5 in my tmaxx, and on my .21 in my buggy.

by the way, thanks everyone for all the help so far
Old 04-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've got a Duratrax Flashpoint that is almost identical. I used it all last year with no problems on a polished aluminum head. It read within a degree of a raytek. This year I thought I was having problems when I was getting false readings. I am temping an anodized blue head and a powder coated black head now. I looked at the manual and found a setting that helped me get a more accurate reading for the non shinny head. There is a setting called emissivity value. It is set default to 95E. It suggests in the instructions that aluminum anodized.... set it to 77E.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

how do you guys point the raygun? on the heat sink?.... wat I do for a right reading..I think.... is to point the red dot on the glow plug.... any ideas which is better?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just straight down the head at the glowplug.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by sho .21
the battery is fine. i can tell because in the top of the screen it tells how much power u have got left, and it looks to be good.

what engine do u use urs on? i use mine on my TRX 2.5 in my tmaxx, and on my .21 in my buggy.

by the way, thanks everyone for all the help so far
I am using it on a TRX 2.5 as well.