Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Picco 28 in an LST?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Default Schumacher Picco 28 in an LST?

Will the above mentioned engine with the weird cooling head fit in an LST? Anyone had one? Thanks.

Also, are there really allignment issues with Picco 28's in an LST?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Will the above mentioned engine with the weird cooling head fit in an LST? Anyone had one? Thanks.

Also, are there really allignment issues with Picco 28's in an LST?
never tried with a pico 28 but i have mixed and matched cooling head(just the head and not the button head) between these engine and they fit...LRP 28, 545, Dynamite 427, 426, Mach 28, SH 28, Go Engine 28 (Turbo head with the button - this has to go together) any combination..those are all the engines that i have used and the cooling head and a few others components can interchange. Engine starts and idles and perform without any issues.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Those are all SH-built engines though.. I'm talking here about an Italian-made Picco.

This one:

I remember back in the day though some of the LST experts saying you have to raise Piccos a bit to line up with the linkage.. Also a question if the pipe will fit on right without the special Picco silicon thingy..
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Tech Champion

Man, I guess Piccos and me are just not meant to be...

Just got my new Schumacher .28(wife ordered it as a surprise...), and as I was switching the carb around, I saw the little lower O.ring was bunched up, and as I was fixing that, I saw a hole in the housing!! WTF... Sending it back. It was also the last one they had.. Gonna' get the money back and order an RB truggy engine instead I think.. Damn...

Old 11-10-2012, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

wow, no wonder you asked, that engine looks entirely different than norm ones.

good thing you checked and have it returned. after one bad experience with a new LRP engine recently, I now dismantle/check all my new engine that i buy to make sure everything is proper..

RB - a very good engine. do they make .28 engine or higher? As far as I know, they only have up to .25, if i am not mistaken.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Tech Champion

I think this engine would be borderline in an LST. If you look at how it would mount up, the cooling head would be a bit close to the tank. Bit of chassis flex could possibly cost you a tank.. Not %100 sure since I never mounted it up, but it would have been a concern I think..

RB doesn't make .28's anymore..

Kind of annoyed about this engine. I checked the shop's site, and it's now out of stock. Which I take to mean this engine I got has been sitting around for years. The seal was broken, no manual or stickers... No plug either, but I guess that's normal.. The pinch at TDC wasn't all that extreme either.. Still, I want to try a Picco 28 in my LST2's and DM-1 and maybe SC8 one of these days..
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

now i see your concern. i believe, in a bad tumble(either rear ended or front ended), the flex of the chassis will definitely hit the tank. i have replaced lots of tanks because of chassis flex - tank would most likely hit (smashed/cracked/cracked at the mounting screw) the heat sink and that is a stock 427. now that i have lifted my LST2 tank position by about 1 inch higher, only then the tank would not hit the engine heat sink in a normal bad tumble. eversince i lifted it, i never had anymore cases of broken tank. I believe, if you put this picco engine on the LST2, very likely it would hit the tank even with slightly bad landing or slight flexing.

if it is on the XXL chassis, i think it is not an issue.

true, some LHS has stocked engine in there shop for years...thats why i mentioned in here of 'my bad experience with a new LRP'. the rubber seal at the HSN needle was brittle broken, when still new after a few tanks - it goes into leaning position, take the needles out, spray to clear any clogging, same, change new tank, also the same - finally on inspection, i found a tiny piece of the rubber seal from the HSN needle was left stuck in the HSN nozzle.. no wonder it goes leans..but i have 'destroyed' a new engine because of loss compression - temp went hi and a few times, it went up to 320F several times. now i know some LHS may sell new engines in their shop for long periods or buy in bulk cheap due to the same reason.

now, any new engine i buy, i would dismantle and check everything before using it.

good thing i have a method to restore the compression and now that engine is healthy with superb compression.

I never tried picco or picco 28, but friend of mine had picco 28 on his savage xl..it is a lot better than my lrp 28 spec 3. Of course that picco comes with a bigger price tag though. i dunno what model he use, but its the equivalent model in direct competition to my lrp 28 spec 3
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

The more I think about this, the more I feel like "no, it's time to really try a Picco.." Pretty disappointed..
Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aqeel200
...I never tried picco or picco 28, but friend of mine had picco 28 on his savage xl..it is a lot better than my lrp 28 spec 3. Of course that picco comes with a bigger price tag though. i dunno what model he use, but its the equivalent model in direct competition to my lrp 28 spec 3
How would you compare your friend's Picco .28 with your LRP 30?

PS: Sorry to hear your issue w/ your new Picco H
Old 11-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Im surprised that hole made it through quality control. Then again I had the same thing with an OS engine, pin hole right at the casting line. Ended up using some JB weld to fill it since I bought it sealed from a private seller and couldn't get anywhere without a receipt.

Ever think about trying out a Novarossi? I've been out of the nitro game for awhile, but the last Novarossi .28 I had was a monster. It was only a 3 port sport motor with some mild modding (smoothing only, crank wasnt cut) and kept up with the more competition oriented 7 or more ports at the time. I know theyre a bit pricey, but there's a nice 7port roto start on Amain. A possible issue is I know Novarossi .28's are kinda wide in the crankcase, sometimes need to shave down the fins to fit onto some mounts.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

This Picco was about the absolute max I'm willing to spend on a basher engine - about €150 shipped. My last one was a Losi 454 which I got for €89 shipped..(with which I'm happy too). I've just become incredibly cheap - but my fleet has grown to six full-on 8th scale nitro's somehow - and I know if you're patient the deals will just come along..

One minor thing with this Schumacher btw was that it comes with a Rotostart backplate at least, which is good value I guess(I never use pullstarts) I tend to dislike HPI Rotostarts(still have one though - been laying around unused for 4-5 years..) compared to Losi's Spinstart. But I still have a Mach .15 backplate, which supposedly makes the Picco .28's Spinstart-able, from years back that I never used..

I'm sure the Novarossi is awesome, but I think I'd be more into trying a Picco at this stage. Especially the new Picco Boost .28..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 11-10-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Why not just get a picco p3 .28 pullstart? or the new picco boost .28 (turbo plug) pullstart? Is it because they are not rotostart? Pullstart is better in my opinion anyway, easier on one way bearings and one less battery to worry about charging.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

I'm very anti-pullstart. IMHO nothing is better for starting MT BB engines than the Losi Spinstart system. I would never use a pullstart on a bigblock. Way WAY too much hassle. Especially on a higher pinch engine like a Picco..

Those other Picco's are more expensive - and not even available here.. The exchange rate isn't what it used to be, and I've had enough of Customs hassles, etc. So no ordering that kind of thing from Amain.. If Tower would get the Boost, and the rate would go back up to $1.40 or so, maybe... (with Tower's big discount codes..)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LGWGM
How would you compare your friend's Picco .28 with your LRP 30?

PS: Sorry to hear your issue w/ your new Picco H
i have never compared to a picco 28 with a LRP 30. i was not into 30 at that time and now I am using it for a different purpose - longer engine life with lower RPM against a stressful RPM for performance. dont get me wrong, my LRP Z28R spec 3 can take the stress/leaned setting compared to SH or any other lower cheapo brand..this I know because i have both LRP and SH cheapo engine - quality of material of the ABC piston sleeve on the LRP is different than the SH. In my tuning setup, SH 28 engine sometimes lasted about 1+ gallon as compared to LRP 28 - which i can get about 8+ gallon. when restored using my deep heat-deep freeze method - the SH sleeve can be easily restored with 2 tries. the LRP sleeve(my 2 years old LRP 28 engine with loss compression), it will take me about 5-10 tries of the same deep heat-deep freeze of the the same interval and incremental interval to be able to restore it..yes, with experimentation a few months ago due to 'destroyed' new LRP 30 engine, i can now restore loss compression engine whether new or a 4 year old 427 engine or any other engine with controlled environment. Today alone i have restored 5 of my old engine with a few of them is a 4+ years old 427 engine, all started, idle nicely like a virgin.........ANYHOW, but the idea of stressed performance makes me change to a LRP 30 with lower temp setting for longer engine life.

however, this is my experience with LRP28 stage 3 with a picco 28 spec 3 a few years back..i did not compare it side by side by this is my own personal conclusion.

1. open construction sandy field..Flux can wheelie in low to mid speed RPM...this freaking Savage XL with that picco can also do the same without any problem in front of me..hehehe....My LST2 - very difficult to do it..loose sand and maybe it is heavier than a Savage Flux or XL or the setup was incorrect...excuses excuses hahaha.

2. that picco whenit was new against my new LRP 28. compression of the picco is more than my LRP 28 - new picco piston is much tighter in the sleeve than a new lrp28 picco. in a well run in procedure, the picco takes more tanks than my LRP 28..and at the early stage of the running it - it is freaking tight even for a rotor start. new LRP 28 - no issue - standard starting requirement.

i guess that is why a picco 28 spec 3 cost more than a LRP 28 stage 3..and based on the point 1 and 2, picco 28 spec 3 is a better engine than a LRP 28 stage 3.

i believe, LRP 30 can take on the picco 28 in a sraight line drag race with an identicle MT, weight and gearing setup.
just to share.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I'm very anti-pullstart. IMHO nothing is better for starting MT BB engines than the Losi Spinstart system. I would never use a pullstart on a bigblock. Way WAY too much hassle. Especially on a higher pinch engine like a Picco..

Those other Picco's are more expensive - and not even available here.. The exchange rate isn't what it used to be, and I've had enough of Customs hassles, etc. So no ordering that kind of thing from Amain.. If Tower would get the Boost, and the rate would go back up to $1.40 or so, maybe... (with Tower's big discount codes..)
totally agree with you. one 'sifu' friend - pull start is best...well, when engine got problem starting, "bro aqeel - can you change my engine to a rotor start like yours'...now quite a number of cordless drill is available on the field when all my friends bash every weekend...hehehe.

no offence to pull start - issues comes when you cannot start..or the engine is going thru a mid-life crisis..blistersss man, and tiresome and stress..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.