Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
race truck question >

race truck question

race truck question

Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

2macgrath- You gotta check the lightning out, for racing it's gonna be the next best truck compared to the Mugen (which is pretty much based off the lightning). The owners a my LHS have one and it's awesome. They say it handles just like a 1/8 buggy. The Pro comes with alum. arms and has all the other hop ups but you have to get elec's and a motor.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

it is basically a truggy styled after the savage with TVP's....It is made by Hot Bodies...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

OK, yes there are alot of excellent race trucks that are on the market and more are always on the way. What I would do seriously is go with what your local hobby store carries for parts. This way you shouldn't have to much troubles finding/getting parts for what they carry. Just my opinion........the only problem with going with what is popular (like I have done with the Savage and LST) is that their is usually some back orders for certain parts cause so many people have ordered them and the manufacturer can not keep up with the demand. For example.........right now I am waiting for the Pro-line 23mm hex hub adapters for my LST and they are back ordered till who knows when. BUMMER!!!! Happy hunting!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Dyer13
it is basically a truggy styled after the savage with TVP's....It is made by Hot Bodies...
The Lightning is a truggy, doesn't have TVPs and shares virtually nothing in common with the Savage. Just for the record!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

You have to admit it is styled like the savage...of course that is my honest opinion and doesn't count for much except in my mind...
Old 03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

I think the lightning is based more on the lightning series buggies. The chassis is abit longer than the lightning buggies and the steering system, and some other things are the exact same. The savage has 2 side plates were the truggy has a plate chassis which can be used on a starter box. Are you sure you aint mixing up the lighting truggy for the maxzilla kit? Cause then your correct, the maxzilla is the same thing except it makes the savage longer.

Correct me if im wrong.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

The Monster GT is a great truck for racing. I'm going to be racing mine this season, but there's a guy over on another forum who's raced his truck with great success. I've been to the track to practice a few times, and was incredibly impressed with how well the truck handles. The only downside was the weight...which was easily fixed with a dremel and some allen keys. The stock engine isn't the most powerful thing in the world, but it still accels faster than the Savage, and I was laying down faster lap times than the monsters with .25+ engines, and also the T-maxxs there. There wasn't a Revo there so I can't tell you how it compares to that. The engine is the most reliable thing I've ever seen though. Once you get it tuned the way you want...it WILL stay there. If you do get the truck, snag the Forward Only for about $15 which helps the truck in accel, top-speed and handling (one less servo = more power to steering servo). Also stiffer springs are a good idea, as the stock suspension is super plush. Other than that it's perfect. The Wheel base is actually a little longer than the savage, and it's almost an inch wider too, which does make it hard to do wheelies but certainly helps it handle better. It's also got a lower CG without really sacrifing much ground clearance. It's also a sweet basher if you'd like to do that too. Probably not quite as durable as the Savage, but in over 3 gallons of some hard bashing and track practice, I've only manage to break an A-arm, a body post, and the front bumper. An awesome truck for sure!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a mgt and a savage, the savage was more durable but cg was to high. The mgt was fast handled great withe the 40's on it. I broke the center cv and rear side cvs all the time(like every race)so that bites. I bought a gs storm pro and this thing ripps with my rb s7 in it. the part are easy to find if you have a computer. I call it stocking my own parts that I know I will break. this thing is nimble and handles awsome. the only thing that is weak is the front lower arms and the stock rear hubs. One thing i don't like is the 40's won't fit on the sut. (hub extensions) I use the traxxes response wheels and tires. they are one of the best tires i have used