Wiki Posts
Search

savage x 4.6 spur gear issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default savage x 4.6 spur gear issue

hey guys.. i got an issue i thought id ask about.. i got this savage x 4.6 used and i have run it 3 times, and every time i have run it i have gone through spur gears.. it happens after the engine is warm, i set my mesh perfect.. so it doesnt bind, and so when i spin the spur it spins free. if i hold the clutchbell and move the clutchbell back and forth it has a tiny iddy bitty play like a hair.. not even enough to slip or strip.. i tighten the motor down really snug and torque down on it really good.. the motor could never move.. the motor plate is tight.. so i been reading up and seen something about savages being known for this... i read some place that maybe the clutchbell is getting so hot that it melts the gear.. so i took it apart and took some pics.. the clutchbell looks like it may have some wear and it may be getting hot. but the clutch shoes look ok.. can anyone help?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

my buddy had the same issue, ended up being a hairline crack in the motor mount plate. It was almost impossible to find. Replaced the plate and it was fine after
Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

ok i just looked at the motor plate and it looked fine.. i will inspect the motor mount some more..
Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had the same issue with the savage I had. I replaced clutch shoes, springs, bearings and a new clutch bell.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

I have just ordered a hardened steel vented clutchbell and a hardned steel spur gear along with the new red fiber brake disks. Hope that may be helpful. Some seem to think that my metal brake disks are rubbing the clutchbell making heat and causing the spur to get melted. Any input?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shizcol
I have just ordered a hardened steel vented clutchbell and a hardned steel spur gear along with the new red fiber brake disks. Hope that may be helpful. Some seem to think that my metal brake disks are rubbing the clutchbell making heat and causing the spur to get melted. Any input?
The new Savage X tranmission design allows for you to access the spur gear and internal gears easier by pulling the top of the transmission case. Make sure the screws holding down the top of the transmission are tight and not stripped. Any movement or play in this area will drive you nuts by stripping gears. The stock nylon spur gears are pretty tough. Only excessive heat will allow the gear to become hot enough to shred the teeth off, such as your pic indicates. If everything checks out ok, replace the clutch shoes and bearings. A good temp gun would be great for checking bell and spur temps.
Be sure to use loc-tite (blue) on the bottom 4-screws of the engine mount. The slightest movement can cause problems for sure.

Good Luck
Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

i thought my clutch shoes looked good.. would i be better off with aluminum shoes? i have some here.. i ordered a new steel spur along with some plastic ones.. if the plastic ones go again after i put the vented clutchbell then i will try the steel one.. i have a revo with a lrp engine and that thing takes a pounding and i have never gone through spurs in rcs except for this savage.. i think it may be heat.. but we will see. i should have all parts by the end of the end of the week.. i will inspect the engine plete, tranny screws, and everything else in a moment.. thanks.. any other ingfo would be awesome..
Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

so i went head and inspected the motor plate some more and found 2 cracks.. one on the top and bottom screw holes.. can this be the reason for the spur being chewed up?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shizcol
so i went head and inspected the motor plate some more and found 2 cracks.. one on the top and bottom screw holes.. can this be the reason for the spur being chewed up?
Yes sir, torque flex. Under power the CB is moving away from the spur.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

No shit. Well il have to get a new Plate then lol. Wish i woulda kept all my savage stuff in the past. Ive had like 12 savages. Including 3 xls 4 x's 2 .25 savages and 2 .21. I might be missin 1 lol. I used to have endless parts for them
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Want to buy a brand new one?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-9-extras.html
Old 09-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

lol if i woulda known that a few weeks ago.. but for now my x will have to do lol.. nice rig.. blue is my fav color lol
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the same issue with my 4.6...I kept eating spurs.

Pulled my engine mount plate off and noticed it was slightly bent. I ordered one of the newer thicker plates and have had no issues with it since.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Awesome i shouldnt have a problem then once iget my new parts. U guys are great
Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Spur gear problem savage 4.6

Ok so I have a savage 4.6 and I have gone throw 4 spur gears . At first the mesh was bad fixed that so I thought stripped it again so finally I did the mesh as good as I could with the paper trick finally first tank was great nothing happened to but then second tank I saw that some of the teeth were sheared off and some were striped so plz help tell me if I should get the steel spur gear or not I still have the stock clutch shoes and stock clutch bell 17 Thoth with 47 toth spur what do I do plz help asap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.