Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
nitro revo to brushless conversion >

nitro revo to brushless conversion

nitro revo to brushless conversion

Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default nitro revo to brushless conversion

I'm thinking about converting my nitro revo to electric. I guess I'm looking to see if anyone can tell me what all parts I need to do this and where's the best place to get them. Also what would be the best motor ESC combo for this. I don't race its just a street and dirt toy/basher
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default conversion for revo

Ebay is your best price bargain. That being said you will most likely end up spending $200 to get it to be an e-revo and another $250 for the mamba monster with the 1515 motor (2650 kv) or go with tekin rx8 with the truggy motor.

my revo ended up costing over 1k because of the rpm upgrades, mip spline shafts on four corners and the center spline, castle's cap upgrade and 10 amp bec. I should of just bought the rc8.2e or rc8.2te for about the same price altogether.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

at those prices why not just buy another truck?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

That may be my option to just buy another truck
Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Tekno makes a kit for the conversion its about a $100. You will need esc, motor, and lipos.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

So with that tekno kit. All I need there after is a motor and ESC. I already have lipos. Is the mamba the best motor set up for the revo. Also does it run one or two batteries
Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Originally Posted by itsmejojo
So with that tekno kit. All I need there after is a motor and ESC. I already have lipos. Is the mamba the best motor set up for the revo. Also does it run one or two batteries
With that kit you use the trucks stock brakes. It also still shifts into 2nd. The mamba is whats popular but not what run. I believe the mamba is good up to 6s so its up to you how you set it up.

Im running the tekno kit, hobby king esc and motor. I run either 2 2s lipos, a 2 s and 3 s, or a single 6s. I also have the trans locked in 2nd.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I've converted a couple, and in my opinion it's best to just go with the factory parts. You should be able to get everything you need from an eBay chop shop for $80-90. You'll need the erevo/summit chassis, batt doors, skids, trans, motor mount, and center driveshafts. I think everything else you can just swap over from your nitro one. The Tekno thing is cool, kinda neat seeing it shift and all, but makes for a much simpler cleaner conversion to just go with the factory parts. The mmm is nice, but kinda overkill for the truck, you can pick up a hobbywing setup that will throw it around and still be dependable for a fair amount less
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The tekno conversion makes it a true conversion then because if he's gonna buy a chasis pan he mind as well just build an erbe
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
BJP
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been looking into doing the same thing. Let us know how your project turns out.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I used the Tekno kit as well. Initially, I had a cheap Chinese brushless in there, but it took a hit and broke so I replaced it with the Castle Mamba Monster Max ESC and motor. Much better, and it works great! I highly recommend this setup if you don't want to basically build up just an E-Revo with Traxxas parts. I run mine with a single 4S LiPo and the Tekno velcro battery straps.

Make sure you leave the plastic roll bar on to protect your expensive electronics!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 353 (100%+)
Thumbs up my revo conversion

i did buy a integy motor mount but other then that i made everything else the battery tray is from a losi ten scte i made the receiver mount and for the breaks i used a y-adapter and programed my esc for no reverse and set it to 50% brakes here are the pictures

nitro revo to brushless conversion-gedc0381.jpg

nitro revo to brushless conversion-gedc0402.jpg

nitro revo to brushless conversion-gedc0394.jpg

nitro revo to brushless conversion-photo2035.jpg what you see in the last 2 pictures is for sale make me an offer

nitro revo to brushless conversion-photo2036.jpg the center axles are integy and have 5 runs on them im even selling the body and wheels make offer
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been wanting to do this too. I've had the Revo since just after it came out and its only been ran a handful of times. Nitro is cool I just cant get into it. I just want to drop it down and go.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is a ton of ways to do this. Only a couple ways are proper (imo).

First ask yourself, do you want to keep the metal chassis? Or go plastic?

If you want to go plastic, buy an erbe gearbox and chassis, swap your stuff over, buy a MMM combo or tekin rx8 and go at it.

Other way that I chose, was this.

RC-Monster motor mount, tekno rc rx box and battery tray. Delete your mechanical brakes, make sure to also get a FOC kit (my e-revo started life as a platinum, already dealt with, same with the 5308's iirc). Now for your tranny I highly suggest converting it to a single speed, the 2spd is garbage with BL power (imo). Get rid of first gear and run the wide second gear. A guy named OOMP (an OG on the traxxas forums) was selling them back when I converted mine, that was several years ago so I am not sure if he is making them anymore or not. There are other ways to do it as well, google is your friend. Make a plate and mount it where your brake servo used to be, mount your esc there.

The finished result is clean, and a lot better than many of the hackjobs I have seen in the past. I'll take a look at my photobucket account and see if I have any pictures of my conversion. I've been out of the scene for a few years now.

Edit:

Excuse the crappy photos. Gearing is 17/40, wheelies on demand and has a great top speed. Runtime on 4s 5000mah lipos is darn good too. Make sure to get the right pitch pinion for the nitro spur.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Nice conversion. How's the performance compared to an E-revo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.