Search

savage flux owners??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up savage flux owners??

Hey guys,

So I'm seriously thinking about getting a flux hp because the xl I have has put a bad fast in my mouth because of that horrible 5.9 "GOD I HATE THAT ENGINE"..

Ok so this will be my very first brushless truck ever and have no clue about them, that's why I'm asking you guys for help and knowledge about this beast.

What should I know or be looking for when making the jump to the dark side?? Is a 4s good enough for me?? I'm looking for standing back flips and just all out nuts but keeping the motor/tranny and drive line happy. What up grades will it need if any??

Thanks guys for all the help you guys have given me in the past, you've all been a great help
Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Hey guys,

So I'm seriously thinking about getting a flux hp because the xl I have has put a bad fast in my mouth because of that horrible 5.9 "GOD I HATE THAT ENGINE"..

Ok so this will be my very first brushless truck ever and have no clue about them, that's why I'm asking you guys for help and knowledge about this beast.

What should I know or be looking for when making the jump to the dark side?? Is a 4s good enough for me?? I'm looking for standing back flips and just all out nuts but keeping the motor/tranny and drive line happy. What up grades will it need if any??

Thanks guys for all the help you guys have given me in the past, you've all been a great help
Truth of the matter: Standing backflips ='s fast parts breakage. Gets old very quick, and standing backflips in general after the initial 5-10 minute "OMG I CAN DO BACKFLIPS" euphoria wears off, they tend to become quite annoying. To get a halfway durable BL MT your talking over $1500 in real world investment. Go look at a 5ive-T for that type of money. ALOT MORE FUN.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Yes 4s is great and will still do back flips. 6S is just insane. Only upgrade you really need is the HD drive gear for the tranny.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by norco kid
Yes 4s is great and will still do back flips. 6S is just insane. Only upgrade you really need is the HD drive gear for the tranny.
Agreed, there is no real need for a 6 cell unless you want to break things and balloon tires. There is a time when you can say with in reason that to much is actually too much, use 4 cell, and if its not enough for you, some how, just add another pack.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

IMO 4s is way to slow. I built my Flux around 6s power. Its also got a center diff now tho which greatly reduces stress on drive train parts. 40mph backflips..... oh so fun!

There right tho, 6s is a ton of power for a stock truck. In the end you will end up spending a ton of money either fixing or upgrading.

If your really into nitro but hate the 5.9 get a modded motor, it will change your mind about getting a flux. My Picco runs flux gearing!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

4s is fine, listen to ppl who have been around a while and have been active in discussions of these things.

Spares to keep on 4s are diff ring gears and top 18/23 gear from centre transmission. Also spur pads and pinions
Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As said above, standing backflips get old quick, and the beating they put on your drivetrain becomes apparent even quicker. But, if you want to run 6S, then just get a motor/esc combo that's capable of 4S - 6S power. Run your 6S, and if (and when) you decide it's entirely too much, then just drop down to 4S packs.

From my personal experience, 4S in a MT is MORE than enough power. My XXL is geared conservatively, 35C, 4S packs, and it's absolutely awesome. I've got buddies that have gone 6S in XXL's, and E-Revo's (sorry, no flux's) and had to switch back to 4S because the MT's are just too fast, too wheelie-happy, and too hard to drive.

Hope that helps a bit...
Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nexxus
4s is fine, listen to ppl who have been around a while and have been active in discussions of these things.
Of course 4s is fine but who wants fine? Its simple to make your truck handle 5s and 6s.

http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=93915
Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have to agree on the 6S lipo non-recommendation.....too much IMO.
4s is fine but 5S is the sweet spot for this MT.....fast and fun without the potential breakage that 6S can bring.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I started out running 4s in my flux. Loved it. Plenty of power!! I had to try 6s for myself. I tried it and now that is all I run. 6s is crazy, but if you know how to drive then it's bad ass!!! It's all about throttle control! I can do backflips at 40mph but only if I want to. I can never pin the throttle when running 6s but it's nice to know that you still have some left over!! Lol

When I am planning on jumping the ramps, I will run 4s set up just to save the weight!

Having a flux and not trying 6s is like having a hot rod that you can't drive! Don't be scared of 6s!! It's only time and money that you have to lose!! Lol

In my opinion the flux is the greatest mt out! No nitro motor can come close to brushless. I have a modded picco that screams but it's no flux!!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Basher77
It's all about throttle control!
+1
Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

4s will satisfy 99% of people. 6s will always "wow" you no matter what. And if you can control yourself and know how to apply the throttle smoothly parts won't be breaking constantly on 6s. For me 5s is the sweet spot though. It has that extra kick in reserve to wow me when I want it, and I don't have to worry about parts breaking as much when i drive it like an idiot with no throttle control.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Any truck can handle 6s regardless of driver skill. You have to build the truck to handle it tho.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LLkoolskillet
Any truck can handle 6s regardless of driver skill. You have to build the truck to handle it tho.
I don't agree with that. 6s ='s parts that wear really fast. Upgrades or not. Even 4s can beat on parts pretty hard and wears em quick. If you have the type of power that allows for easy backflips stating still or at speed, your going to go through drivetrain parts fast regardless. Seen to many "bullitproof brushless builds" that wear out or break parts fast within a few weeks time or less even.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The fact that the vehicle is geared and setup for backflips on command is the probem that beats the drivetrain up, not the voltage you are running.

Setup up a very gradual throttle curve so that you are not doing the backflips on command, and you will save you drivetrain.

No different then guys building wheels on command 2wd trucks and complaining when they strip gears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.