Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Troubleshooting T Maxx >

Troubleshooting T Maxx

Troubleshooting T Maxx

Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OS21Revo
1 3/4 on the LSN is a baseline only, is it idling fast or slow? 20-30 seconds and it dies means its loading up. 10 or so seconds is kind of a rule of thumb " depending on the tuner himself" before you start noticing the low side being rich and loading up. 4 seconds is somewhat ok on the pinch, try to get a 2-3 second pinch. What glow plug are you running? 3232X is a factory hot plug, you can use an OS LC3 or a Duratrax LR3 as replacements "same temp" How old is the plug and have you tried a new one yet?

yeah I know lots O questions to answer, just trying to narrow down your options
ok right now I am running this plug. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-25-30-Nitro-1

I was using a older one of these and I put a new one in today.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After reading all your posts, here are the three things that come to mind.

Too fat (rich) on the low side
Idle speed setting, shoud be just on the verge of the clutch engaging
Too cold of a glow plug

Traxxas calls for a hot plug, hot plugs make the engines idle better and burn the oil in the fuel better than the medium plug your running.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Glow-Plug-Hot

All of the Traxxass engines Ive owned like the LSN in the 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 turns out range depending on fuel brands, also the pinchs was 2 seconds at most. On my HPI's the pinch is 1 1/2 seconds, where as two of the tuners I know. One likes the pinch at 1 1/2 sec's and the other likes 4 sec's, mine will load up pretty good after idling for 10 seconds even with a 1 1/2 sec pinch.

What color is the base of your glow plug now?

The other thing to consider is the fuel your running (how its blended) Castor based, castor/syn based, syn/castor based and the viscosity's of both the castor/ synthetic oils used in the fuel, Thats a whole nother deal for a later time....

You may have to go as low as 1 1/2 turns on the LSN, stay with the base of 1 3/4 out and lean or richen in very small adjustments to idle good, you'll know if your too lean if the engine wants to idle up when adjusting the LSN or dies quickly.

Try to get a 2 sec pinch, where it still idles and starts good, you may have to bring the idle speed up just a touch. First get it to idle good for atleast 10 seconds and remember to do a high speed run inbetween adjustments to keep the engine cleared of excess fuel to get and acurate setting on your LS needle
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OS21Revo
After reading all your posts, here are the three things that come to mind.

Too fat (rich) on the low side
Idle speed setting, shoud be just on the verge of the clutch engaging
Too cold of a glow plug

Traxxas calls for a hot plug, hot plugs make the engines idle better and burn the oil in the fuel better than the medium plug your running.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Glow-Plug-Hot

All of the Traxxass engines Ive owned like the LSN in the 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 turns out range depending on fuel brands, also the pinchs was 2 seconds at most. On my HPI's the pinch is 1 1/2 seconds, where as two of the tuners I know. One likes the pinch at 1 1/2 sec's and the other likes 4 sec's, mine will load up pretty good after idling for 10 seconds even with a 1 1/2 sec pinch.

What color is the base of your glow plug now?

The other thing to consider is the fuel your running (how its blended) Castor based, castor/syn based, syn/castor based and the viscosity's of both the castor/ synthetic oils used in the fuel, Thats a whole nother deal for a later time....

You may have to go as low as 1 1/2 turns on the LSN, stay with the base of 1 3/4 out and lean or richen in very small adjustments to idle good, you'll know if your too lean if the engine wants to idle up when adjusting the LSN or dies quickly.

Try to get a 2 sec pinch, where it still idles and starts good, you may have to bring the idle speed up just a touch. First get it to idle good for atleast 10 seconds and remember to do a high speed run inbetween adjustments to keep the engine cleared of excess fuel to get and acurate setting on your LS needle
Sounds great! Thanks for the info, I am going to work on it this evening after work and hopefully get it all sorted. Will put this info to good use!