New to R/c

Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New to R/c

I am just starting to get into R/C, at least the nitro r/c anyways. I have a friend that has been in it for about 10 years and now he has gotten me into it. I have read all sorts of mags and have been bugging him with questions and all that for about a year, now I would like to buy my first truck. I was looking at the S-Maxx. I know that it's not considered a level 1 truck, but its just about the only one that I like. That or the sportmaxx, which is about the same. Can anyone give me some advice on if I am making the right decision on my first truck??Or any other advice for a newbie?? thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

I see a couple of questions...
Why a 2WD Truck? is that specificly what you want?
Also Why a Maxx instead of a Revo.

I am not saying it is a bad call, just that these are two questions worth asking.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

The Tmaxx is rather dated now. There are other more up-to-date trucks, including the Revo, Savage 4.6, MGT, Losi LST, TNX - etc etc.

I know it's not an MT, but the Lightning Stadium RTR truggy - quick and very stable.

As Falcon lord said - there's nothing wrong with your choice, but there are definitely better trucks available.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

maybe he just wants somthing inexpensive to run around with his buddys. maybe he doesn't need the revo's awesome susspention or the savage 4.6(most deffentalty not) I would say for a begainer who just wants somthing to bash with get a t-maxx or an s-maxx. you will have plenty of fun with it then if you want to race or move up then you can get a revo or a savage 4.6

side note:
I have been told that the main reason that HPI came out with the 4.6 and the 3 speed was becuase they were losing sales because the revo was faster out of the box. They also knew that people like bragging about having the biggest engine. A revo is still slightly faster than a 4.6 savage also is will handle race conditions better because that is what it was made for.

sry for the side note it just bugs me when people who don't know what they are talking about instantly say "why would you want that when you can get a savage 4.6??? It's a big Block!!!" oooo woopie that means nothing in small 2 stroke engines. if we raced 4 stroke engines it would.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

get therevo i think it will be a good first truck for you it is my first monster truck i had a buggy before...but i think you should have a revo fast and reliable i have not took mine in the shop yet
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Myt3rocks I undewrstand your reply. this is why I posed question instead of making statments. If someone is asking the forum for advice
Can anyone give me some advice on if I am making the right decision on my first truck??Or any other advice for a newbie??
Then we are being given an invitation to voice our opinion. I personaly am a Electric driver, but Smaxxblue was asking about Nitro so I didn't sugest an E-Maxx, just other things that may be good information allowing that they were looking for a Nitro truck.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Falcon I wasn't try to bash your post if that's what you thought i was doing. I was pointing my comments more at Horatio. I am sry if I flamed the post but it had been bugging me that last few days every time I go in to a fourm and some one askes this question there is always someone who says "GET THE Savage 4.6!!!! IT's A BIG Block!!!!!!" or people saying "I would get a traxxas if they made a 1/7 scale with a .28 in it!!!!!" just bugs the crud out of me
Old 02-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Tech Adept

Myt3rocks, it's good we have that cleared up, I am also one of the people that get bugged by people stating you should get things that simply don't meet your needs/desires.

ey SMaxx how goes the New SMAxx?