Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maxx Tranny....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default Maxx Tranny....

Ok I'll try to explain this as best as possible. I got out of nitro a few years ago but I'm back in it. I picked up an original T-Maxx and started it up today. The engine would start up fine, but when the glo starter was removed it would just die. I have found out that this was because of two things, my engine wasn't hot enough and I was running it to rich. ALso my glo plugs were fine and the enigne ran with the glo starter still attached.

Ok now for my other problem. When I first got my Maxx, I noticed that the giant spur gear spun freely. I looked on this forum and read that that was normal. I took the entire trany apart and it looked like the gear had this little metal piece that I thought would engage like a clutch when it got upto speed. Is this how it works? When I was hitting the throttle on my Maxx, the clutch was engaging but the wheels never moved. All the gears in the tranny appear fine. Is there something I missed? or could someone explain this?

Also another weird thing about the EZ start on mine is I have to give it a shot of WD40 for it to work. When it doesn't have WD40 it'll just spin, but with WD40 it works fine. I figure this has something to do with a bearing(one way bearing?) of some sort?

Sorry for the 100 questions. Any help would be great.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

ok first it is your glow plug

unless is glows almost red and when u take the ignitor off and it slowy dies done its the glow plug

second the tranny is fine how ahrd were u hitting the gas is my
?

ok lastly your one-way bearing in the easy start is done for buy a new one for 20 bucks and save some hassle
Old 02-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

first thing to check about the truck not moving, is the slipper. On the big spur gear, there is a bolt. If you can hold that bolt and spin the spur gear, you need to tighten the bolt down more. Had this happen to me a couple weeks ago. Did that and it was fine. If thats not it, it may be your diffs. You might wanna try taking a look at them, just be very careful so you can put them back together. As for the motor not staying started, I am not really sure. Sounds like you have bad compression? Once the engine starts the glo plug shouldnt matter, right? I'm sure someone can help a little more then I can though.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Also just thought of another thing. If your idle is too high, it may be stuck in neutral, and wont go in to gear. (if the idle is too high it wont go from reverse in to forward, and vice versa) It may be stuck in the middle.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Ok thanks. I reset the carb and I'll be getting a new glow plug (any suggestions for the TRX.15 from a Tmaxx?) and I'll pick up a bearing if they have one in stock.

I was going to try today, but when I went to start it my glo plug was dead oh well It's charging I'll give it another shot tomorrow.