Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
savage nitro or electric??? >

savage nitro or electric???

savage nitro or electric???

Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePupppet View Post
and the post of 1000 opinions begins !!!

nitro is cooler ... electric is cooler ... nitro is louder .... electric is faster... nitro is realistic ... electric is cheaper ... nitro is cheaper ... etc ... etc..

get which one you first thought about getting and never look back
yup
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Where to get the motor mount n battery holder?
I converting 1, due to my kids is afraid of the sound but I love it.
Selling most of my nitro n gas rc n getting EP.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Faster, yes. Cleaner, perhaps. More reliable? Not if your tires are flying off and your diffs are exploding. Without tires or diffs, there goes "reliable", not to mention "faster".. Have a lipo blow up and the truck melt, there goes "cleaner".

OK OK, now someone will say that lipos don't really blow up. Well, most of the stuff said about nitro in threads like this is about as accurate(if not less so..)
Given that you have admitted to never owning an electric setup, it is perhaps best that you stick to supporting Nitros, which you do very well.

Repeating and overstating urban myth statements about setups you don't run simply undermines your credibility in the areas where you are more experienced.

Is brushless technology capable of shredding drivelines? Yes. Is it a regular and ongoing problem? No. It's most often a problem when Noobs grab a brand new truck and drop 6s into it, more than it is a regular issue for an experienced driver. It's safer to say that inexperience shreds diffs and tires, not 6s. (Brushless doesn't kill Monster Trucks, People kill Monster Trucks!) It shows up on the Nitro side of the fence as the ever popular "I'm fed up trying to tune/break in my..." thread.

On 4s and 5s, which are setups that can easily provide plenty of power, most name brand trucks out there are quite durable.

Do LiPos blow up? No. They are not that unstable. Catch fire? Occasionally. But I am willing to bet that someone who isn't willing to learn how to properly charge a battery would very likely do something just as insanely stupid with a Nitro powered truck.

I enjoy reading most of your posts about Nitro trucks, HerrSavage, but your constant tirades about electric are growing thin. Especially given that you have no real first hand knowledge of them--by your own admission. Don't be that guy. You have plenty to offer the community, why be a troll?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

LaTuFu, I appreciate your civility.

Several years ago I bought an E-zilla - I know, nothing power and speed-wise compared to the setups of today, but still.. Back then it still cost €500 with two sets of batteries, and was probably in the same neighborhood of speed as my nitro Savage back then. Anyway, I will never forget the snowy winter day I took it to the park. I did some doughnuts on the frozen canal, some "speed" runs back and forth here and there, and honestly, I was overcome with a feeling of embarassment that I had spent 500 bucks on this silent toy that made no other noise other than the "whish-whish" of the tires. I really did feel self-conscious.. The thrill factor of an internal combustion high revving engine not being there, I really felt like an overgrown kid with a dumb toy. (BTW, I also had a Mini Revo, but sold it.. Same lame feeling - something fundamental was just lacking.)

As for my posting on it, again - I really don't get off on arguing on the internet. However, here and in other threads and other sections of rctech and plenty of other forums even, the tone and mentality that comes across from electric fans is frankly exceedingly irritating, if not explicitly, then almost always implicitly. Mix in some false information being spread about nitro, not to mention silence about one's own inability to figure out something as simple as nitro, and it's just aggravating. And nitro guys IMO are too tolerant. So if I rub some people the wrong way - so be it. Not my intention, but there is a clear rift between nitro and electric 8th scale offroad RC, and all I've decided to do is say OK, so be it, this is a forum for people to exchange opinions, and if electric guys are going to spout their stuff all over the place, I can do the same. And I will.

And let me reiterate another point. This is a hobby... It SHOULD require a learning curve, some time and effort to put in, some delayed satisfaction. But I cannot help seeing in the current electric fad a large component of laziness, incompetence, and an A.D.D.-like impatient refusal to tackle anything that requires more than two minutes - i.e., the whole instant gratification thing. ALL THAT SAID, nitro is not that hard. When I got started I WAS really nervous about it though - but in the long run - which counts in a hobby - all that uncertainty and nervousness eventually pays off with gratification at having mastered and gotten a feel for something. With nitro RC, you also get the feeling for a real motorsport, in mini. If I had the money I'd be out racing real cars. But I can't do that. So this is what I do instead.

Anyway, again - not looking to argue. But I will continue to say what I think about the electric vs. nitro thing as long as others are doing it too.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Not a problem. I actually enjoy you providing the Devil's Advocate on stuff like that.

Just don't repeat the urban myth stuff about electrics, because it makes you look less credible on the Nitro stuff--which clearly you have knowledge and experience to share.

Having said all that...I agree with you about the instant gratification issues. But I see it just as much in Nitro noobs as I do Electric noobs. For that matter, I see it in just about everything I do these days. At work, coaching my kids teams. It is almost comical how young kids today get angry and want to quit a sport because they are not "the best" after their first time picking up a ball or piece of equipment.

I definitely hear what you are saying when it comes to that.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

OK, but I did mention the blowing-up lipos thing primarily to highlite that there are also a lot of urban myths spread about nitro that you see more and more during the current electric fad.

I am hardly a fan of maintenance. On the absolute contrary.. If nitro were a PIA, I wouldn't be here. I've never claimed to be particularly mechanically inclined, or to do much maintenance.. I don't care about impressing people along those lines either.. What I care about is going out and running my stuff. Not wrenching, not tuning... I sure as h.ell don't do a lot on my five 8th scale NITRO RC's.. My five-year old LST2 still has most of the original bearings ha ha... So it's just not the case that you need some special clue or extra effort to run nitro.

The last time I was in the States I went to the LHS and the only thing I overheard from customers coming in was about fried ESC's...
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Heres what i think of this tread
Attached Thumbnails savage nitro or electric???-bangingheadagainstwall.gif  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Can't really argue with you about electronics frying. It happens. I deal with it every day at work, and that has nothing to do with RC ESCs.

It's the nature of mass production, unfortunately. Every now and then, there is a bad board, bad solder, crappy FET, who knows what.

Mix that in with the kid who wants to run it in the snow/rain despite the warning that it isn't waterproof, and you get ESCs that go *poof*.

Castle went through a rough patch a year or two ago, iirc. Sounds like poor QC by whoever did the contract work on the assembly.

That being said, it doesn't happen quite as often as you're making it sound.

Put it this way, I don't worry about my esc going up in smoke when I am running my trucks, any more than you are probably worried about one of your motors going *poof* when you are running yours.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

As a lipo running brushless and nitro running big block guy lets remember 2 things
1 opinions are lack a holes everybody has one . No reason to try and shove it down someones throat though.
2 these are toys . We should be having fun with them not arguing about them.
Just my .02
Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Run whatever you want I don't care.

You want craziness and overpowered power/speed. Electric
You like the sound and smell of a real engine. Nitro

Personal preference really, I don't think one is easier or harder to use than the other.

Herrsavage, quit putting people down no one in this thread is talking smack about nitro. Your the only one calling electric users ADD and incompetent and lazy. What the hell? where do you get that from.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

There are plenty of myths about both...'nitro is difficult to learn, too much maintenance, not for beginners', OR..'Electric is expensive, lipo's are dangerous' ..ect. It kind of makes me laugh. As long as one can read and follow simple instructions about charging rates/ balancing..basically how to use a charger, the risks of having problems with lipo packs are very minimal. I've been using lipo RX packs in my truggy for quite a while and have had no problems...and no, I don't feel inclined to store them in ammo bags or anything like that. Lipos are no more dangerous than storing a gallon of gas or a gallon of nitro.

Frankly, most of these kinds of threads are more entertaining than anything else, as there is often alot of trash talk, which in many cases is pretty light hearted. The only time(s) I ever get a little pissed, and I'm speaking about what I've seen many times over the past few years on other forums( I am new to this one), is when someone posts a nitro question in a nitro thread, and some yoyo comments, " Just go electric", or something similar. Also, the perpetuation of this 20+ year old myth that newbs should be steering clear of nitro has become irritating as well. This certainly isn't to say that there aren't abnoxious nitro enthusiasts posting BS in electric threads, which is also unfortunate. As long as this stuff stays relevant to the original subject of the thread/topic, it's all good IMO, even if there are strong disagreements. Now I'll get off of my soapbox . BTW, I think the OP moved on from this thread a while back.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FLDan View Post
BTW, I think the OP moved on from this thread a while back.
THAT never happens in threads like these...
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

To me, ALL Monsters should ROAR.
And that's only achievable with a nitro big block.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
No sound...??? No No No...
Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Nitro is slowly but surely dying. I would go for the electric version.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Guakala View Post
Nitro is slowly but surely dying.
I don't know where you got your info from but someone lied to you.

Things you should NEVER hear a dude say;

"Dude" check out my MONSTER TRUCK, it's nice and quiet.

"Dude" lets get a mimosa after playing with our electric monster trucks.

"Dude" you left your chapstick in my prius the other day after driving our electric monster trucks...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service