Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Battery choices

Boy this battery stuff is confusing.....

Local stores are selling 8.4v 4500mah batteries for around $65 each.

I need 2 for my emaxx, as I would like 2 sets in case one dies or we are in a place where charging them is impossible.

Up in Canada shipping from the US negates any cost saving.

There are 2 I can get from a Canadian online retailer for around $40.
-Traxxas 4500 mah
-Duratrax 4500 mah

Any concerns with either?

I know each are not top tier but not willing to spend more than $100 for a set, but want a decent set.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

loook at gens ace from hobbypartz shipping is only $10....as i live in saskatchewan with a few orders from them
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I still run NIMH batteries in my vehicles because I have so many... By the time I bought lipo's for all my vehicles (and a new charger) I would have more invested in batteries than my cars!!!! Check the Onyx series of batteries from DTX... I LOVE THEM! Solid prices (tower hobbies)... And they last! On a set of 5000's in my E-maxx I get about 25 minutes of RT... That's with a handful of high speed runs, and bashin around the street/yard/creek.....
Old 03-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Being that the Traxxas 3000 mAh 8.4 batteries come with most of their vehicles, there is always a surplus of them on ebay. Because of this I feel the price per mAh is pretty good.

That being said you could get two of them for the price of one of the Traxxas 4200 mAh
Old 03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yeah, but with the price of good LiPos these days, and the increased performance they offer--in speed, run times, and consistent performance throughout the charge cycle--continuing to buy NiMh batteries just doesn't make any sense. Especially if you are running brushless. It really isn't cost effective in the long run.

OP, check out hobbypartz as suggested. They are having a free shipping sale this week. Not sure if that applies to Canuckistan or not, but it's worth a shot.

If the GensAce aren't available, check out the Sky LiPos. Turnigy Nanotechs are also a good inexpensive choice from Hobbyking.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If you decide to go for Lipos, I hear great things about the SPC lipos. I plan on picking up their 8200 mAh ones for my Summit when they come back in stock.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jersey Crewmax
If you decide to go for Lipos, I hear great things about the SPC lipos. I plan on picking up their 8200 mAh ones for my Summit when they come back in stock.
+1. The SPC 8200s rock. You'll love them in your Summit. I get 2+ hours of run time out of them in mine.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Sticking with nimh right now.

Don't want to start changing speed controls or motors yet, just want a second set.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Running LiPos doesn't require ESC and motor swaps. But hey, it's your setup.

If you're sticking with NiMhs, there are plenty of chop shops on ebay selling stock Traxxas batteries for cheap. Not sure about shipping to Canada, however.