Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't understand lipos, but want a savage flux

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default Don't understand lipos, but want a savage flux

Hey guys, I haven't been properly into R/C for ages and when I was, I was a nitro fan. I really want a savage flux so I can just plug the batts in and run whenever I feel like messing around. I'm in Australia so I want to buy from hobby king, as they have cheap lipos.

What are the best turnigy lipos for a savage flux from Hobby king?

I don't know anything about lipos (no idea what 20C, 35C, 2s, 3s etc means)

I know that I want more than 5000 mah on each battery. Also anyone know of a good charger that hobby king sell that will charge two at a time? Not looking for anything heaps expensive.

I haven't been hardcore into RC for ages and I've only have two electric brushless cars, the rest are nitro, so I don't really get all the lipo lingo.

Cheers!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quick primer to what the various markings on LiPo's mean.

Cell Count
Example: 2S, 4S, 2S2P
The "S" means "Cells in Series". The P means "Cells in Parallel. LiPo's average about 3.7v per cell, so a 2S LiPo is "2 Cells in Series, 8.4v" Adding cells in parallel just adds capacity and discharge capability.

Capacity
Example: 5000mah, 3300mah
mAh means Milli-Amp Hours. Move the decimal point three spaces to the left and you get Amp Hours. This is the primary measure of capacity for your battery.

Discharge Current:
Example: 2S, 5000mah, 40C
The "C" rating is just math. 1C is another way to write the Capacity of your battery. 40C is just 40 times that much. A 5000mah battery will support 200 amps of discharge current at 40C (5*40).

With LiPo's, you always want to have a battery capable of handling your ESC's standard current draw. For example, if you've got a 120A ESC, your batteries must be able to hold up 120A discharge constantly. On a 5000mAh , this would mean at least 24C. On a 4000, you'd need 30C.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WindDrake
Quick primer to what the various markings on LiPo's mean.

Cell Count
Example: 2S, 4S, 2S2P
The "S" means "Cells in Series". The P means "Cells in Parallel. LiPo's average about 3.7v per cell, so a 2S LiPo is "2 Cells in Series, 8.4v" Adding cells in parallel just adds capacity and discharge capability.

Capacity
Example: 5000mah, 3300mah
mAh means Milli-Amp Hours. Move the decimal point three spaces to the left and you get Amp Hours. This is the primary measure of capacity for your battery.

Discharge Current:
Example: 2S, 5000mah, 40C
The "C" rating is just math. 1C is another way to write the Capacity of your battery. 40C is just 40 times that much. A 5000mah battery will support 200 amps of discharge current at 40C (5*40).

With LiPo's, you always want to have a battery capable of handling your ESC's standard current draw. For example, if you've got a 120A ESC, your batteries must be able to hold up 120A discharge constantly. On a 5000mAh , this would mean at least 24C. On a 4000, you'd need 30C.
Thanks for your help mate, the savage that I'm buying can come with two "2c 6200mah lipos" for an extra $50. Maybe he means S?

Would these be any good for a flux? Here's what the flux has, I can get the flux and 2 lipos for $650, all I'd need is a charger.

· Blue 5mm TVPs

· Genuine Front and back differentials upgraded to new HPI bulletproof differentials

· Genuine HPI Purple titanium turnbuckles front and rear

· Aluminum Integy Bulkhead Braces

· Innovative RC Team Losi shock Conversion kit

· 4x Team Losi LST shock set

· 2x Velcro Straps for battery boxes

· 4x Genuine HPI Super H/D Wide Axles

· Genuine HPI heavy duty drive gear put in place of standard gear in centre gear case

· Yeah Racing orange purple motor cooling fan
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You could buy a new Flux with two new batteries for not much more than $650.

He's not coming down much for a used truck.

Great, he's added some aftermarket parts. That's nice, but it still doesn't justify asking 100% of retail price for a new Flux.

You can get a new one from Tower today, with a $50 coupon, for $590. Two 2s batteries from Hobbypartz are +/- $60-75.

That is $665.00, give or take a couple of bucks.

For $15 more, I'd buy new and not have the potential for headaches. There are a lot of mods to that truck. I would be if it started having issues after I dropped that kind of coin into it.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree your going to spend that much on something used then just pay a little extra for something new with a warranty.