Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Thinking about selling my xl to buy flux! >

Thinking about selling my xl to buy flux!

Thinking about selling my xl to buy flux!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Unhappy Thinking about selling my xl to buy flux!

Hey guys,

I'm seriously thinking about selling my five tank 5min ran xl to fund for a flux . My thing is the 5.9 has put a bad taste in my mouth and not sure what i want to do. I'm on the ropes about getting a clocked nova for my xl or just selling the whole truck with four bodies box and all to fund for a flux. Not sure what i really want to do.

Question for you guys tho. If i put my xl up for sale and buy a flux how much would it cost to buy the xl conversion?? Or would it be easier and cheaper to convert my xl to flux??
Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think it would be a bad move to sell the XL, buy a flux, then make it an XL. Better off to convert the XL IMO.

However, i also believe that your 5.9 cant have much wrong with it being so new. I think if you are willing to stick with it, and tune on it some you will be able to get it running right. You said it was running fine, and then it wasnt after your throttle servo ordeal, right? Sounds like maybe linkage issues to me...
Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

By the time it's all said and done I think you'd be better off converting the XL than selling and buying a flux, would probably save you $. Buy the flux XL tvp's from HPI or elsewhere, motor clamps, batt boxes and the gears for the trans (I believe 2 are different). I'm not a Savage guy but I think that's it besides the motor/esc, have a look at some manuals online to verify.

There's also the lipos and charger costs to consider. I personally went from nitro nut to brushless power addict. But if it's just a dud of a motor ruining your fun, replacing it with a better mill would be the cheapest route.

Edit: Cummins typed faster and I agree, nothing makes tuning more frustrating than a messed up throttle linkage. The 5.9's are also prone to air leaks, seal it up if you continue having issues after sorting out your linkage.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Angry

Thanks guys,
I do believe I have my throttle leakages fixed. My biggest issues at this time is the Carb. I have it set where it needs to be but when it comes to opening or closing the Carb, when I move the screw either way it doesn't move but if I go clock wise and apply throttle it sticks. Now this whole time keep in mind I screwed the needle in on the Carb pretty far and it dis nothing but to cause the Carb slider to stick.

What would be causing this?? Is it an air leak or just a junk Carb?? Also to add no matter what I do with the low/high speed needles there is no change in the truck. It still runs super rich and when I try and lean it to get it to come around the revs pick up and it tries to take off and as soon as I get the idle where it needs to be I give it some gas and it dies. To rich, so I lean it out some more no change in idle or anything. Its like the Carb isn't letting me tune it.

Last thing I have all my trim levels set to where they need to be and put all the needles back to stock. Still no change and when I try and lean out the high speed needle to get it to move nothing happens except it seems to get richer. Would all this be from a damn air leak??

I never had this issue from any nitro engines. They all stent from a buddies 2.5 to a picco 26 a picco 28 my old 454 a few 3.3 and a few novas and throw in a few werks and o.s and I never had an issue with getting them tuned. Man I hate this 5.9!! Sorry for the long post its just making me very mad. Thanks all.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

How big is your idle gap? If you screw the idle screw in too far, it will cause the carb slide to stick.

If the idle gap is too large, it will cause the engine to be very hard to tune and somewhat numb to adjustments since the LSN will be extremely rich for it to idle at all.

Also, Im pretty sure an SH carb like whats on the 454 or 427 will fit the 5.9 fine. If you have one laying around you could always try it. Its hard to say if it could be an air leak or not, but it sounds kind of like a large idle gap.

You could always pull the engine and seal the backplate and carb base just to be sure. That would only leave the front bearing as a potential air leak.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks cummins.

It not the Carb settings. I have that set as I like to call a fingers nail width, but when I try and open the Carb slider it won't open. The screw will move but the slide doesn't move no matter which way I turn it. It was fine until that servo blew and I replaced it with a Hitech. Now I can't seem to get it to run right.

I tried for three days straight messing around with linkages and the tuning and still got no where but a dead drill and a pissed of attiude until i got sick of it and just pulled to engine put it in a bag. I was going to order a clocked nova for it on the 27 but I went ahead a ordered me a mspec to build my dream racer. I just don't get why I'm having such a bad time with this engine..
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Why not call HPI? tell them your problem, and they probably send you a new carb. What screw wont move?

I wouldn't sell the xl, if i was to do anything, i would just replace the 5.9, and you will have a great running truck.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wait for the new gasoline engine. Can't get much easier to tune than a weed wacker. IMO
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by honda237
Why not call HPI? tell them your problem, and they probably send you a new carb. What screw wont move?

I wouldn't sell the xl, if i was to do anything, i would just replace the 5.9, and you will have a great running truck.
The Carb slider screw/opener. I'm going to order a clocked novarossi 28 7t for it . I love Nova's, there so easy to tune and the carbs are the best, I just hope this engine lasts longer than eight gallons. Its going to be one hell of a engine that's for sure tho.

To dg40,

That engine is probably lacking torque and to me torque rules and what I want. I wonder when this engine is going to be released and for how much money it will be going for?? I'm also curious on how it will sound . I guess we'll find out sooner or later.