Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HELP!! new to nitro..... >

HELP!! new to nitro.....

HELP!! new to nitro.....

Old 12-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HELP!! new to nitro.....

Me and my son both got MGT 8.0 for Christmas and having difficulty tuning them, any and all help will be greatly appreciated or where to go to get some info! Thanks! We are not entirely new to r/c just nitro.....
Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

try this link-

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ing-bible.html
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

what kind of fuel and glowplug are you trying to use.........
Old 01-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Shoulda got a brushless! Im sorry, I know this doesnt answer your question. I've considered gettin a nitro a few times. Never owned one, but love the sound!
Good Luck buddy!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCaddict0;10107787[B
]Shoulda got a brushless![/B] Im sorry, I know this doesnt answer your question. I've considered gettin a nitro a few times. Never owned one, but love the sound!
Good Luck buddy!
I think this very same thing every time i look at the nitro trucks i have in the closet.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCaddict0
Shoulda got a brushless!!
Originally Posted by Accordman
I think this very same thing every time i look at the nitro trucks i have in the closet.
Who wants a monster truck that sounds like tranny gears and a deflating balloon at the same time? One buys a M/T for the real feel, not some quiet geriatric hair drier going down the road.....

All the tracks I go to, Nitro STILL holds the fastest laps.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Lol...hope this thread doesn't turn into a nitro versus electric debate. My first few r/c's were all nitro. I figure if you learn how to tune and work on nitros...electrics will be much simpler later.

Just have to be patient and read read read! Getting a nitro motor running consistently and efficiently for a newbie may take forever. I remember trying to get my T-Maxx 3.3 to hold a tune and spent about 5 hours trying to get it started. Let alone I burnt out the clutch within a week lol.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys.....we have a rustler vxl and a slash vxl.....now we have nitros too! i am running 20% blue thunder and r2 thunder tiger plugs.....waiting on plugs now our lhs is closed until 1/12/12, ordered a few from tower
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by notstock
Thanks guys.....we have a rustler vxl and a slash vxl.....now we have nitros too! i am running 20% blue thunder and r2 thunder tiger plugs.....waiting on plugs now our lhs is closed until 1/12/12, ordered a few from tower
that is a really crappy fuel.... what oil % is it ?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Rookie

doesnt say.....blue thunder sport..........what do you suggest?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by notstock
doesnt say.....blue thunder sport..........what do you suggest?
byron's is really good! o'donnels i hear is good.
and i read in another forum somewhere bt has 15% oil.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

Don't even worry about tuning it, especially since you are new to nitro. Christmas before last I bought my son and I MGT 8.0 each, too. All I have done too them is break it in and have fun. I haven't mess with the needles at all, only to seal them with green slime and set back to factory setting. Just loctite all the screws, seal the backplate, carbuerator, and needles, then have fun. I broke in the engines by driving them real slow for at least 5 tanks then have fun. I used #50 something glow plugs to break them in, now they are running #8's. I was using O'donnel 20% with no problems then switched to Byron 20% because that's all my lhs had and still no problems. But, like I said leave the needles at factory and have fun. You should seal the engine first, though.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coconut
Don't even worry about tuning it, especially since you are new to nitro. Christmas before last I bought my son and I MGT 8.0 each, too. All I have done too them is break it in and have fun. I haven't mess with the needles at all, only to seal them with green slime and set back to factory setting. Just loctite all the screws, seal the backplate, carbuerator, and needles, then have fun. I broke in the engines by driving them real slow for at least 5 tanks then have fun. I used #50 something glow plugs to break them in, now they are running #8's. I was using O'donnel 20% with no problems then switched to Byron 20% because that's all my lhs had and still no problems. But, like I said leave the needles at factory and have fun. You should seal the engine first, though.
will i would listen to him on sealing the engine but on not tuneing it sounds a little crazy to me. Im not saying he giving bad advice at all but read the tuning page here on this site. to get it on the fourm go to nitro then nitro engine it will be on the top everytime. Make sure you read how to read your glow plug too that is very helpfull also. i can tune a motor being hearing imparied and a traxass 3.3 on top of it. just from reading and readint till i understand everything and i do have people that will will vouche for me also i made a thread here about it got some crazy feed back from the guy at my track that i did not know that were on this site funny not one said a bad thing about my tuning at all and all were impressed with how my cars ran and all nitro too. Just take small step at first and i would not go my than two turns out from factory until you know what you doing cause that should be a safe margin there till you learn it all.