Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Fix revo or buy a new monster truck opinion's needed =) >

Fix revo or buy a new monster truck opinion's needed =)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fix revo or buy a new monster truck opinion's needed =)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Fix revo or buy a new monster truck opinion's needed =)

Right now i have a stock e-revo that needs a Motor and esc and i was planning on getting a mamba brushless system but by the time i get the system plus the lipos ill be spending about 500 bucks. Sooo i was just thinking of either buying a Nitro monster truck for about $500 or buying the brush less system for the e-revo. What do you guys think would be better choice for the long run?

give me your opinions =P
Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For the long run, I think you will be pleased with the brushless system purchase. Much easier to clean, no frustration with nitro tuning, much more torque for the wheelies we all love, and much more top end power for speed runs all at the same time. Also much quieter so the neighbors won't complain.

If this is really just a budget issue, just remember that you can always find decent used systems and batteries to save on cost. I just saw someone selling 4s batteries for about $40 or something like that. You also have to consider the cost of fuel as well. It is all up to you in the end, though.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I would recommend nitro: better bang for the buck, lots of options, no expensive batteries to maintain or wait for charging. Get a revo and you'll have spares...
Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is suck a hard decision =/
Old 12-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cadimman
I would recommend nitro: better bang for the buck, lots of options, no expensive batteries to maintain or wait for charging. Get a revo and you'll have spares...
What do you mean options? Not quite understanding where you are going with that one.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wolf16731
For the long run, I think you will be pleased with the brushless system purchase. Much easier to clean, no frustration with nitro tuning, much more torque for the wheelies we all love, and much more top end power for speed runs all at the same time. Also much quieter so the neighbors won't complain.

If this is really just a budget issue, just remember that you can always find decent used systems and batteries to save on cost. I just saw someone selling 4s batteries for about $40 or something like that. You also have to consider the cost of fuel as well. It is all up to you in the end, though.
I agree with this.
Although I'm a nitro guy at heart, upgrading your current system, even with used electronics is gonna be better overall.

Nitro has so many hidden costs (i.e., glow igniter, plugs, starter box if needed, fuel, engine rebuilds and batteries) as well as the time that it takes to tune and maintain.

Electric is more user/wallet friendly.

What do you mean options? Not quite understanding where you are going with that one.
Maybe vehicle options?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SolderGlob
Maybe vehicle options?
Hmm.. If that is what he means, that doesn't really make sense. Almost everything out there that is nitro has an electric counterpart, and it isn't like it takes much to convert one to electric anyway. Besides, isn't the market filled with more electric vehicles than nitro anyways?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Suspended

Engine and pipe options as well as mods. If you have the knowledge there are soooooo many good deals to take advantage of and tinker with for a very low cost. I do it all day long.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cadimman
Engine and pipe options as well as mods. If you have the knowledge there are soooooo many good deals to take advantage of and tinker with for a very low cost. I do it all day long.
Ohh, ok.

I hear you on that. That is one of the main reasons I got into nitro in the first place. I still like nitro and all, but I have those same options with electric as well, just in different forms.

In my case with electric, I can also play around with different motors. Instead of having an exhaust pipe to get the most out of an engine, I have the ability to use different ESC's to get the most out of a motor. With my Tekin RS ESC, I can actually change about every dynamic aspect of my motor's powerband. You name it, I can probably get it to happen by tweaking the parameters of the Tekin RS. With a bit of playing around with it, I have actually learned how to program it to "simulate" the effects that you would achieve by changing clutch shoes and springs to get a desired effect. You can alter the timing of your engine, which is complicated if you don't completely understand how it works. I can somewhat do the same thing, altering the timing either on the motor itself, the ESC, or both. It isn't as complicated as doing this to a nitro engine, but you can change the powerband just the same.

In the end, the nitro vs electric debate will never stop. Each has its own trade-offs that make both highly desirable for what we do. I am just one of those guys who appreciates what both have the capabilities to do and I have a ball enjoying both of them for my entertainment.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

In the end, the nitro vs electric debate will never stop. Each has its own trade-offs that make both highly desirable for what we do. I am just one of those guys who appreciates what both have the capabilities to do and I have a ball enjoying both of them for my entertainment.
+1

Very well said - thanks.

Sometimes there are those who fail to at least recognize that each has pros & cons.

After being completely away from nitro for many years, I just bought my first nitro engine last week (for an airplane) and I'm looking forward to cranking it up soon.

Hey, we do this stuff for fun. Losing that point of view makes the hobby meaningless, wasting time and money, the obstacles and setbacks begin to overshadow the enjoyment. That's not good.

About a month ago I created a fun meter which clearly indicates I'm winning. Maybe it's not calibrated perfectly but it shows some of y'all need to hurry up, put the pedal to the metal and catch up with me.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

you dont have to go mamba monster to get great speed and performance. you could go with the ezrun 150a system for about $150 and get 2 gens ace or turnigy lipos for about 80 bucks. great setup. super fast. and save alot of money.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Haha! For a second it looked like it was going to be a electric vs. nitro battle.
Good that people sees the pros and cons of both. It's up to you and your situation about choosing what to run.

If you are lucky then you can have both. Have time for nitro and time for electric.
All my 1/8 scale vehicles are nitro and the 1/10 and smaller are electric.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ACEN457XTM
Haha! For a second it looked like it was going to be a electric vs. nitro battle.
Good that people sees the pros and cons of both. It's up to you and your situation about choosing what to run.

If you are lucky then you can have both. Have time for nitro and time for electric.
All my 1/8 scale vehicles are nitro and the 1/10 and smaller are electric.
Haha I thought the same thing.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

You asked for opinions......

I prefer electric and would steer you in that direction. I have had both the 3.3 and the e-revo and perfer the eRevo much better. Ease of use, no tuning issues, no fuel to buy, no glow plugs, but again personal preference.

If your on a budget buy the nitro and use the old eRevo for parts. Consider the cost of the E conversion as well, and look on ebay for someone selling either used electronics, or one of those guys who buy rtr's and parts them out.

That would be your best bet, both ways, in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

electric so you don't have the mess running out of the pipe all the time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.