Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Losi XXL Pull spin/start >

Losi XXL Pull spin/start

Losi XXL Pull spin/start

Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default Losi XXL Pull spin/start

I have had my losi xxl for a week ran about four tanks through the engine and the spin/ pull start and broken on me twice. i went and bought a new one and just like the first one after about 10 starts the little springs in the spin assembly broke in half. its not the one way bearing the little fingers no longer come out to grab the black plastic to spin the hex shaft. am i doing something wrong or is this just junk. are there any alternatives? thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've run many tanks through mine, and never had this issue. I primarily use the spin start, rarely the pull. Maybe you're pulling the pull start too far, damaging the spring?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Tech Adept

Na he's not oin anything wrong hae the same dang problem with mine..... just switch to rotor start broke my 454 in wit rotor starter ran full galon before I even tryed th pull starter 3rdpull it snaped the spring I flip my wrist and don't pull the string all the way out *seen some people yank on the so hard thy bust the strings* its a cool idea pull spin start but in the end its junk btw I've gne thu 5 starters the one I hve now was made from parts from other broken ones I use it only when I *have* to but plan on rebildin or replacing when I do I'm bettin u bust the the spring right where it catchs the spool for the rope?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Those 454's are tight. I would preheat the motor if at all possible for you and use the roto start until the pinch really starts to loosen up. Maybe after a gallon or so the pull start would be the way to go. Everyone I've seen try to pull start a 454 breaks it in the beginning. The 454 in my 8t 2.0 has less than a gallon and sometimes gives the starter box a fit if not running a lipo in it.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

im onto my 3rd pull-start - and it will be the last....

I always try and preheat (when possible) but the plastic cogs within the pull start are far too soft.

The 454 runs so fat when cold so its always a battle to get it perfectly tuned - plenty of power but far from my favourate mill...
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prowlag View Post
im onto my 3rd pull-start - and it will be the last....

I always try and preheat (when possible) but the plastic cogs within the pull start are far too soft.

The 454 runs so fat when cold so its always a battle to get it perfectly tuned - plenty of power but far from my favourate mill...
I do the same, and I'm on my 5th pull start. I try to use the spin start, but the drive I got has a slight bend in it and chews up the bearing.

Mines been a little tough to tune as well...
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Pullstarts ALWAYS suck eventually...

Spinstart is much better...