Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
opinions needed on nitro monster trucks >

opinions needed on nitro monster trucks

opinions needed on nitro monster trucks

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

(not me - random picture from internet..)

Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Ah the 5T, gotcha, 4wd too, question is long term durability and aftermarket support. Just cant beat the HPI 5B platform for its known ruggedness and aftermarket support. T 2wd to help support the potential for a 5th scale SC class since the HPI 5SC is a roller thats been around for awhile. One thing not sure I do like on the new Losi 5T and thats the limited suspension travel and droop, not much ground clearance.......Id like to see one up close and running though without question.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ntrain42
Drivetrain on the XL is definetly not in the same class as the XXL. No question about it. I have seen too many drivetrains grenade just in the last 2 months alone on Savage rollers.

I am without question baised towards the XXL, but thats due to the overall package and design of the vehicle, not because its a Losi product. Losi just happens to make the best MT currently. 1/5th scale I prefer the HPI 5SC SS, 1/10 scale I prefer the AE SC10, 1/8th scale SC and truggy it again is AE with their SC8 and RC8T CE, but 1/8th scale MT its LOSI all the way. Im very selective about my rollers, needs to be rugged, handle well, good aftermarket support....in other words the complete package.
Are you sure it was the 29/9 machined bulletproof diffs and the super heavy duty drive shafts and cups? Were they properly shimmed? Ive only heard of a one guys blow that diff with a nitro and he was running a ecrm picco .28 and ecrm endbleed. The three speed sucks, but a pretty simple mod makes the 3 speed bulletproof. It's the same basic parts as the flux, which it holds up pretty well too.
There is a difference in xl/ flux drivetrain than the other savages.

I'm not against the lst, I love my lst2, and I love my savages, and I loved my original lst when I had it. I'm actually thinking about getting a nitro lst, because I miss my nitro lst. I am just posting my findings.

That 5t looks pretty sweet, the size of 5th scale always gets me though, their so huge.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by honda237
Are you sure it was the 29/9 machined bulletproof diffs and the super heavy duty drive shafts and cups? Were they properly shimmed? Ive only heard of a one guys blow that diff with a nitro and he was running a ecrm picco .28 and ecrm endbleed. The three speed sucks, but a pretty simple mod makes the 3 speed bulletproof. It's the same basic parts as the flux, which it holds up pretty well too.
There is a difference in xl/ flux drivetrain than the other savages.

I'm not against the lst, I love my lst2, and I love my savages, and I loved my original lst when I had it. I'm actually thinking about getting a nitro lst, because I miss my nitro lst. I am just posting my findings.

That 5t looks pretty sweet, the size of 5th scale always gets me though, their so huge.
The machined "bulletproof" diffs have had issues in 2 areas, the pinion gear shearing off the top of the teeth and the bevel gears doing the same thing, regardless of how well they are shimmed the bevel pins flex too much under extreme torque as Ive seen especially if too thick of a diff fluid is used. Its the same with the XXL, but nowhere near the same level as the XL. THe outdrive cups on the Savage XL just plain suck too, the material used just plain sucks.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Haven't heard of the pinion problem, little confused on that if its shimmed. I know of the bevel gears but I have the same type of problem in my lst2, plus I snap pins in the trans, and in the diffs, but yet again I'm running brushless and I'm kind of hard on it, and before you say something about my slipper, its set fine, maybe a little loose. if you change the all the gears in the diff with hot bodies, it pretty much solves the issue if shimmed, I know the pins are kind of weak, but that seems kind of common for both.
Whats wrong with the cups?
Not arguing, just getting what you think.
By the way, checking out your lst builds, they're pretty sweet.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Haven't heard of the pinion problem, little confused on that if its shimmed. I know of the bevel gears but I have the same type of problem in my lst2, plus I snap pins in the trans, and in the diffs, but yet again I'm running brushless and I'm kind of hard on it, and before you say something about my slipper, its set fine, maybe a little loose. if you change the all the gears in the diff with hot bodies, it pretty much solves the issue if shimmed, I know the pins are kind of weak, but that seems kind of common for both.
Whats wrong with the cups?
Not arguing, just getting what you think.
By the way, checking out your lst builds, they're pretty sweet.
THe outdrive cups are rather brittle in my book, just like the pins.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Same with the lst, I have a diff sitting on the shelf with a broken outdrive, and only if I kept all the pins that I've broken from my lst.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Are we seriously arguing about diff pins now??..
Old 11-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Same with the lst, I have a diff sitting on the shelf with a broken outdrive, and only if I kept all the pins that I've broken from my lst.
Thats most likely because you didnt shim the bevel gears properly or at all, or didnt bother to do routine maintenance to check them for grooving(which they will do over time). From the factory the bevel gears use no or only one shim per bevel gear. I have found that for proper backlash setting a combo of 2 or 2 opposing 3 is correct for shimming the bevel gears in the diff cups. If you dont do this the bevel gears will float excessively and grive the diff pins which regardless should be replaced every 3-4 gallons of hard use anyway or when they start to develop a groove pattern where the gears ride them.

As fo9r your broken outdrive cup from your BL LST2 I answered the most probable cause of issue in the other thread and how to properly correct that potential issue when using a KV motor.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Thats most likely because you didnt shim the bevel gears properly or at all, or didnt bother to do routine maintenance to check them for grooving(which they will do over time). From the factory the bevel gears use no or only one shim per bevel gear. I have found that for proper backlash setting a combo of 2 or 2 opposing 3 is correct for shimming the bevel gears in the diff cups. If you dont do this the bevel gears will float excessively and grive the diff pins which regardless should be replaced every 3-4 gallons of hard use anyway or when they start to develop a groove pattern where the gears ride them.

As fo9r your broken outdrive cup from your BL LST2 I answered the most probable cause of issue in the other thread and how to properly correct that potential issue when using a KV motor.
Yep, everything is good, shimmed, Ect. Ya I'm big on maintenance, just a month ago, I put new driveshafts(cheaper just to replace then rebuild), bearings, pins, fluids,Ect. I try to do this on a regular bases if things are worn. It's no fun taking your truck somewhere and it breaks because you didn't check it over. I've broke more trans pins then diffs, but again I'm running brushless, its different then nitro, but its still my opinion. I feel then need to be a little bit longer, there is to much side to side play, if you know of an alternative, let me know. I love my lst, and always will.
Yep answered you, slipper is set fine, nice and loose. Lol

Now let's quit argueing about something stupid, and let the OP get what he deserves, EVERYONE'S OPINION, not 2 or 3 people argueing over why one truck is better.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (98%+)
Default is it out?

hey guys is that big 5th one out yet? hot dawgie thats an awesome rig and reading all what you all are talking about i just might get that one too. thanks guys
Old 11-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RahjahDat
hey guys is that big 5th one out yet? hot dawgie thats an awesome rig and reading all what you all are talking about i just might get that one too. thanks guys
Id be highly skeptical of Losi's FIRST 1/5th scale product, especially since its 4wd. Losi has a history of drivetrain issues on first gen 4wd products(LST, SCTE, 8ight etc). If you want a large 5th scale truck I would look at something like the HPI 5SC SS which in reality has been around for years and is a proven durable beast with tons of aftermarket support: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuRKQQljgw
Old 11-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Id be highly skeptical of Losi's FIRST 1/5th scale product, especially since its 4wd. Losi has a history of drivetrain issues on first gen 4wd products(LST, SCTE, 8ight etc). If you want a large 5th scale truck I would look at something like the HPI 5SC SS which in reality has been around for years and is a proven durable beast with tons of aftermarket support: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuRKQQljgw
What are you talking about? How many first gen losi's have you owned? I've owned a few and never experienced any drivetrain issues.

XXL all the way.

No doubt the savage is durable but I can never figure out why when I go to my lhs, there's a bunch on the shelf for repair and nothing else. Either they break a lot and nobody here admits it, or they break and theyr'e not easy to work on, or both???

And the 5T blows away the HPI 5SC. It actually drives like a race vehicle. It's supremely balanced and flies over jumps like the 8ights. There's lots of vids out there to prove this.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by melonpeel
And the 5T blows away the HPI 5SC. It actually drives like a race vehicle. It's supremely balanced and flies over jumps like the 8ights. There's lots of vids out there to prove this.
Honestly the video's mean jack. Wait till this product is in the hands of actual customers. I can already see issues with the 5T. It has barely any suspension travel, its ground clearance is poor and I can see it bottoms out easy. On my track thats going to be an issue. Ive seen the vids and again Im skeptical at best.

Losi has a history of half baked products. Their latest one is the SCTE which is just a warmed over Ten-T converted for BL. The drivetrain on it is garbage, had 2 of em, sold em off. You couldnt go a day without an issue in the diffs. The diff pins grooved and wore out or broke constantly. Even with the newer replacement pins the wear and tear in the drivetrain is excessive. The original LST was loaded with issues as well, so was the original 8ight and quite a few other products that have come and gone.

Im all for a new 5th scale product, and a 4wd SC is a big interest without question. BUt there arent many places that have alot of ppl with run 5th scale, the most popular roller by far is the 5B/5T/5SC platform from HPI. I would have rather seen Losi put out a 2wd 5th scale SC truck for direct competition and to PROMOTE the scale class for sales and sanctioned racing, and for Losi to get their feet wet in the 5th scale market BEFORE putting out a 4wd version.

And to say the 5T blows away the 5SC from HPI? Have you assembled or driven either? THe HPI 5SC is very durable and the known issues are easy fixes with plenty of aftermarket support. DO you know what the issues are yet with the 5T or what the aftermarket support is going to be like? My 5SC SS I can tell you does one thing better than the 5T and thats take a large jump and handling in the rough stuff. Suspension travel and GC is without question superior. That 5T WILL be bottoming out constantly on my local tracks no question about it. ANd as for handling a 4wd vehicle should have an advantage in the corners due to it being 4wd.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We'll just have to see how the 5T plays out. My understanding is losi does a pretty good job testing compared to others. I'm not sure how ground clearance is going to be an issue. Maybe that's what makes the 5SCT such a lawn dart on jumps, too much spring kicking the tail over nose. I've never seen a truggy or buggy without a scratch on the underside, everything bottoms out on big jumps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.