Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Default Which Truck?

I'm already into a 4x4 SC truck and do a bit of racing w/ Mamba powered Tamiya Mini Cooper and am upgrading in the monster truck field. I've narrowed my choices down to 2 trucks: 1-the Traxxas E-Max and my other choice is the HPI Savage Flux. both will be powered by 2-3s Lipos. My question is what are the pros and cons,durability, preferences of either or both? It'll be used mostly to bash around (and eat up or at least keep up with a friends E-Revo) and do some ballistic hi-speed runs. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

i would say the flux it can do standing backflips!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just got a flux xs and if the big flux is anything like it I would forget about the e-maxx and go flux. I also own a savage x and xl that I have beat the living crap out of with out any major repairs required other than needing a new body and wearing out dogbones and cups.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

The Flux in stock form is more durable, but is more "sloppy" I have a brushless 3905 Maxx and a Flux HP. I like the Flux and all, but it doesnt handle as good as my Maxx. Nor does it stay in a strait line at high speeds that well. If your willing to upgrade to RPM on some things then I would say the Maxx. But if you want durability stock then Flux.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go all the way and get the Flux HP. you will not regret it. Ive owned mine for 6+ months and havent broken 1 stock part or had 1 single problem at all. super durable and super reliable. IMO with the right setup it handles just as well as the emaxx. Th stock gearing on the flux HP is perfect; tons of power, speed and i can run pack after pack and have it barely get warm. I would never think about getting a different truck after owning this.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unbreakable
i would say the flux it can do standing backflips!
So can my emaxx.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

all good input thus far: what I'm hearing (or actually reading) is so far the stock HPI is the way to go and if I upgrade the TRX they'll perform equal? Heat is a big issue and that is 1 thing I need to avoid-I live in Central Calif and now it's in the mid 70's-low 80's. If it matters any I run MA batt.s but am thinking of running Venoms. Problem is the MA bal tab on the charger is diff from the Venom batt bal plugs. Does the TRX perform almost the same out of the box as the HPI ie:standing back flips, almost or equally as durable?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Melonpeel! You helped answer my question before I got it "entered." i was reading about both trucks just now and it seems like there'll be issues w/both? How does the Thunder Tiger truck fit in this mold? Like I've been saying, I'm mainly looking for something that I don't have to upgrade too much. I understand I'll be upgrading w/RPM A-arms,shock towers w/the Traxxas.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've got a 3903 E-Maxx that I've converted to Brushless, RPM Tru-Track Rear, and a myriad of other things. Freakin' great truck, and basically bomb-proof once you replace the two weak links in the truck (Center Driveshafts and Slipper Clutch). With 6S, my Kershaw 2039kv motor will make the truck do backflips, frontflips, and pizza-pie it's Series 40 trenchers.