Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage x won't steer when driving! >

Savage x won't steer when driving!

Savage x won't steer when driving!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Savage x won't steer when driving!

Hi I just took out my savage today for a run. The problem is my steering. When the wheels are off the ground the tires move left to right with no problem. Once I start driving the steering is almost nonexistent. I can basically drive only in a straight line.

I have a hitec hi torque servo and it's pretty new! I'm just frustrated now. Please help! I thank anyone for their feedback. Thanks, Dave.

Last edited by dbnjzb; 10-05-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Title
Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Unhook the servo from the steering linkage, make sure you can turn the wheels with no binding. Take the servo and hold the arm, see how strong it is when you turn the wheel on your TX. Check the battery in the truck, is it charged? Make sure all your connections from the RX to your servos are good.

All that^ is called troubleshooting. If everything feels good, the battery is charged up in your truck but the servo still feels weak when you are holding it truning the TX wheel, you might have a bad servo.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

What he said...well most of it anyway. Make sure your servo saver isn't loose also. The Savage has horribly designed steering geometry, and they just don't steer well under power without a generous amount of servo torque.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Fixed!

All I had to do was tighten the servo saver spring and I was set to go! Thx for the help!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

You might want to replace the servo anyway with an HPI SF-50WP. It pushes 12kg's of torque, and it's waterproof!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For the price of that HPI Servo, you can get a 300+ oz/in .13sec servo from XQ-Power, the S4020D. Titanium gears will hold up better versus a monster truck's steering assembly.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WindDrake View Post
For the price of that HPI Servo, you can get a 300+ oz/in .13sec servo from XQ-Power, the S4020D. Titanium gears will hold up better versus a monster truck's steering assembly.
could someone give me advice on waterproofing an aftermarket servo with plasti dip because I want to upgrade the hi-tec thats in my xl and waterproof it so that it can really steer well under load and while bashing
Old 05-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

A lot of servos are already water/weatherproof via case seals. I'd check, first, to see if you've got rubber gaskets in your servo's shell.

Good writeups for servo waterproofing here: http://www.societyofrobots.com/actua...of_servo.shtml
Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

thanks man, i want to buy a savox for my savage xl and i know they are not waterproof so i was thinking of attempting to use the plastidip method...and any recommendations for a good solid servo thats already waterproof for my xl
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

The XQ-Power S4020D I talked about previously has case seals for splash/water protection. Smear over the case seams with plasti-dip for extra protection, and you'll be set.

That said, my two Savox 1256TG's (E-Maxx and E-Muggy) also have silicone seals for the case, and will be proof to most water (outside sending it swimming!)

Just checked, the 1258TG in my LX2E also has case seals.

I ran my Muggy and Maxx in the snow all winter, without plasti-dip, just the stock case seals. Never had an issue.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

hmm all right sounds good to me thanks for the info man im looking forward to having water proof servos and question for all whats the best waterproof servo for throttle for the truck