Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Savage vs. Mgt 8.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Savage vs. Mgt 8.0

Hi I was wondering what would be a better truck for the money? Is the MGT 8.0 discontinued? All my hobby shops have prices really reduced. Thanks for the help everyone.
UPDATE: Also how does the aftershock/lst1 compare?

Last edited by MT_MASTER; 10-05-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Which savage are you talking about?

Power wise, the MGT 8.0 is the winner hands down. The engine is crazy powerful and torquey.

The savage is the better basher, it has stronger a-arms, better shocks, bumpers, etc... The MGT is the better handling truck of the 2. The driveline durability should be about the same (good) on both trucks as long as you are looking at new savages (the old savages had a weaker driveline). The MGT is MUCH easier to work on and a nicer layout.

The MGT is not priced as high as most others probably because it isnt as popular. Its one heck of a truck though. I really like both of mine (one 4.6 and one brushless). I also have a savage and really like it as well. For all out bashing, the savage is the truck to beat. For doing a little bit of everything, I really like the MGT. Just have to decide which one you like best and go with it
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks. I'm looking at the older savage X's (8 shock setup). Do you have major durability issues with the mgt? I've read some pretty bad things about it.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

I know Cummins won't like me for this but...
I have the 8.0 and XL and the MGT has broken almost every time I have driven it...
The XL took a year of insane beatings and didn't look back, then I did it for another year.
Savage can use ANY 1/8 clutch and I never damaged my XL CB to the point that it couldn't be used again(other than the teeth), however my 8.0 is sitting in limbo because NOBODY makes a 22T CB... and the inside of the 8.0 CB is caked with clutch shoes.
The MGT 8.0 uses a 4 shoe.. with a larger ID. (IIRC)

STD 1/8 shoes and 1.1mm springs work killer on the XL.
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...rodID=DYNP5180
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Spring-11mm-3

Cummins, hit me at NC with how I can easily get my MGT8.0 back in action!
I'm jonesin for some wheelies!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SLAYERDUDE
I have the 8.0 and XL and the MGT has broken almost every time I have driven it...
The XL took a year of insane beatings and didn't look back, then I did it for another year.
Savage can use ANY 1/8 clutch and I never damaged my XL CB to the point that it couldn't be used again(other than the teeth), however my 8.0 is sitting in limbo because NOBODY makes a 22T CB... and the inside of the 8.0 CB is caked with clutch shoes.

STD 1/8 shoes and 1.1mm springs work killer on the XL.
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...rodID=DYNP5180
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Spring-11mm-3

I'm agreeing with Slayer on this one. I have the 5.9 and besides my engine problem, I'll take my savage over any other monster truck. Ya the MGT has a bigger engine but it is also impossible to find the parts. Savage Xl goes off the Savage X 4.6. There is a ton of parts for the those trucks. Overall I'll take any Savage over the MGT.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MT_MASTER
Thanks. I'm looking at the older savage X's (8 shock setup). Do you have major durability issues with the mgt? I've read some pretty bad things about it.
The Arms, shock towers, and upper A-Arm mounts are probably the weakest parts on the MGT. If you are planning on hard bashing, get the savage 100%. If you dont beat the crap out of your stuff, the MGT may suit you better.

Im not real hard on my stuff. Never broken a single thing on my savage besides regular wear items. Both of my MGT's combined I have broken a shock tower and one front a-arm(hit a telephone pole running about 20-25mph). My savage is like a bouncy ball. No matter what you hit or how hard, it just bounces back off of it and takes right back off

The older savage X though probably has the standard differentials. I would just go ahead and plan on spending $50-60 to upgrade to bulletproof diffs when you strip one. If you shim them though the stockers arent too bad. My front differential is original with about 11 gallons on it(shimmed at 5 gallons). The rear differential was rebuilt at 5 gallons and i shimmed it while i was in there. Its got 6 gallons on it now without a whimper.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLAYERDUDE

You beat your stuff harder than me, no doubt about it I like working on them, just hate paying for the parts.

The only thing im real hard on is the driveline. Pulling 100lbs on the dirt will put that to the test

Anyways, put a standard 3 shoe big block flywheel on that 8.0, then buy a standard 22t big block clutch bell and whatever 3 shoe clutch you want to run:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Axial-Ve...item4cfa4570f4

Should fix your problems Have you tried the associated factory team clutch? I have heard its ok and has replaceable pads i think.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Okay then thanks. How does the losi lst1/aftershock compare? Is it durable and whats the difference between the lst1 and lst2?
Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

The LST trucks are pretty good. I have an LST2. I havent broken too much on it, but i have had more dumb problems out of it than the others. Cracked a fuel tank landing a jump right side up, broke the engine brace (which is VERY common if you jump at all, but an upgrade one fixes it), stripped a gear in the transmission, and cracked an A-Arm running into a concrete corner. I have had more problems from it than the rest of mine, but i do enjoy driving it. It handles really good, and the huge shocks are really nice. The thing catches itself from jumps like its landing on a mattress most of the time. The bumpers feel weak, and i dont like all the tiny standard (not metric) hex head screws. The heads of them are so small that they are hard to get much pressure on without stripping. If you want a big MT that handles really good, this is probably it.

Aftershock- forward only high range tranny, plastic hub assembly on spur gears, plastic shocks, mach 26 engine
LST1- has reverse, aluminum spur gear hub, aluminum shocks, and low range on the transmission, mach 26 engine
LST2- has bigger knuckles, better a-arms(not a direct swap), bigger driveshafts, 20mm wheels and buggy style hexes, same spur gear assembly as LST1, aluminum differential cases, aluminum shocks with plastic caps, reverse, and low range. Mach 427 engine
XXL- High range reversing transmission, plastic shocks, longer chassis plates, hardened outdrive cups, better/stronger plastic quality, .28 (454) engine

Think that covers most of that. The LST2 or XXL are the nicer of the bunch. The larger components are nice and the trucks have a good driveline and are fairly easy to work on for the most part.

I like things about all 3 of these MT's. Id have a hard time picking just one. I enjoy owning all 3
Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

I'm really torn right now. One last question is the mgt 8.0 bigger than the savage by a lot? Or is it just a minor difference?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Rookie

I had both...I still have the Savage XL. End of story. WAY WAY tougher, dependable and easier to work on. A lot more hop ups out there for it as well. Parts are way easier to find too.
Another good truck to consider if you are a little experienced is the Losi XXL. Faster and handles way better then either of the others. Good luck
Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Been into the hobby over ten years. Don't know what this "tech rookie" bullshit is suppose to mean listed over to the right here...
Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danbo5
Been into the hobby over ten years. Don't know what this "tech rookie" bullshit is suppose to mean listed over to the right here...
it refers to your post count or join date iirc
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danbo5
post count