Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Which MGT and LRP? >

Which MGT and LRP?

Which MGT and LRP?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which MGT and LRP?

Hey fellas, I know I want a MGT (loved my 3.0, rc10t4 ft, and rc10gt ft) but cant decide which one to buy.

MGT 4.6 or 8.0

I don't care about the stock motors, I will be purchasing an LRP motor while I abuse the stocker. Thinking of an lrp 28 or 30 but not sure if the 4.6 tranny is durable enough for the lrp? I know that the 8.0 has an alloy transmission but I dont know how strong or weak the 4.6 tranny is. Because buying an mgt 8.0 is cheaper than buying an MGT 4.6 and then 8.0 tranny down the line. Plus the cost diff between 8.0 and 4.6 is enough to buy a pipe.
This is purely for bashing and I am still trying to figure out which lrp to buy.

I will be purchasing this exhaust for the lrp
Ofna Jp3
AE Side Exhaust manifold
Many thanks for your input!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was Running the LRP.28 spec 3 and it was a great engine easy to tune and held a tune well not to mention great power the only reason i no longer run it is because It was a bit thirsty for racing I had to pit alot more than the .21's at the track so I also went to .21.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

When I had my old mgt 4.60se I had NO problem running with all the other aftermarket engines with the stock factory .28 that came in it. I changed out all the oils, put some different tires on it and let it eat. Of course most has to do with the driver but still I had zero problems out of mine.

If you get one give the factory engine a fair shot. Break it in right and give it time to loosen up and make power and you might be surprised.....
Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks, i think i will get the 4.6 se with the ofna pipe. Once the engine blows i'll go with the lrp 28. Cant wait, I'm going to order an sc8 as well next month so I'm building my associated fleet!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Honestly, the 4.6 and 8.0 both have great engines. I love my Associated .28 engines and they are extremely reliable and easy to tune. My father in law just bought an 8.0 and that thing is awesome. The torque is insane for a nitro.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The 8.0 is a better over all truck IMO and has a beefier tranny and better center drive line , better stock tires as well .

I had a 4.6SE and I still think it is probably the best bang for the buck 1/8 monster truck you can buy , as the others have said the stock TT .28 Pro is a beast once its broken in and has a decent pipe on it(The Losi HT pipe worked awesome and was cheap).

I did have a problem with it snapping the 2nd gear shaft in the tranny twice , but after some tunning with the 2nd gear engagement it stopped doing that . I owned it for 3 years and put more than 10 gallons through the motor before I gave the truck too my brother inlaw and its STILL going strong !