Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
aluminum clutch eats clutch bell >

aluminum clutch eats clutch bell

aluminum clutch eats clutch bell

Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default aluminum clutch eats clutch bell

I just recently upgraded to the aluminum clutch shoes on my lst and there is black dust coming from it. Also when I took the clutch bell of I noticed that the clutch shoes have a black coating over them that seems to be part of the clutch bell. Is this a problem or normal?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The black dust is normal. Every so often you want to take off the aluminum shoes and use a dremel sanding wheel/disc to remove any burrs that might be on the sides and ends of the shoes. Those burrs can get large and start to grab the CB making it seem like a bearing is going bad. Just maintain them.

Aluminum is going to wear away a lot faster then a steel C/B, it's a lighter and weaker material. Do the shoes look polished or burnt? You might just need to use different springs in them.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

Well when I first put the aluminum clutch shoes on the inside of the clutch bell was black. Now it is a silverish grey color almost like the paint has been worn off. The clutch shoes themselves look like the paint or metal has been melted to them and they have black "burnt" marks on them. I am using the springs that came with them.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by losifan94 View Post
Well when I first put the aluminum clutch shoes on the inside of the clutch bell was black. Now it is a silverish grey color almost like the paint has been worn off. The clutch shoes themselves look like the paint or metal has been melted to them and they have black "burnt" marks on them. I am using the springs that came with them.
You might just simply be using too heavy of springs for your C/B. What happens is the shoes have to spin a certain RPM with the springs before they engage. If they are engaging at a high RPM before they grab, that are probably creating lots of friction heat and they will get burnt out. You might have to try a lighter spring. I would also check for any binding in your drive line, make sure it rolls free.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Is it bad for my engine, clutch shoes, or clutch bell if I leave it like this?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Is it bad for my engine, clutch shoes, or clutch bell if I leave it like this?

Can't say for all 3, I'm not 100% sure. You will have to experiment with a lighter spring and see if your problem goes away.

Were you running composite shoes before? That black on your aluminum shoes might be the residual from the old shoes that got caked up on the cb.Like I said before, the dust is normal but if your blowing through aluminum shoes, you will have to trouble shoot it.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

I was running the original rubber shoes before I switched to aluminum. I am still using the current shoes that I bought in late May. I'm just worried that it will eat the clutch bell away.

Last edited by losifan94; 09-13-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Is there any company that makes softer springs? I havent found any, but am thinking of getting the losi xxl clutch bell which is designed for the aluminum clutch. I'm also wondering if it is the engine as I am holding my LRP .30 for next spring.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

I have an lst also and i was told to go with the dynamite max life clutch shoes..
I was also told that you can run gallons of fuel with them and that they wont melt or mushroom like most of the others.. Im going to buy a set and try them out.. I think the Part Number is DYNP5180.. Thats only if you want to try something different..
Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Douglas2004 View Post
I have an lst also and i was told to go with the dynamite max life clutch shoes..
I was also told that you can run gallons of fuel with them and that they wont melt or mushroom like most of the others.. Im going to buy a set and try them out.. I think the Part Number is DYNP5180.. Thats only if you want to try something different..
+1000000

Dynamite Max Life shoes are what I think the best on the market.

Use a new clutch bell along with a set of new max life shoes and 1.0 or 1.1mm springs on your lst/lst2 and you'll be set. They require almost Zero maintenance and will last for several gallons before they need to be replaced.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MattP View Post
+1000000

Dynamite Max Life shoes are what I think the best on the market.

Use a new clutch bell along with a set of new max life shoes and 1.0 or 1.1mm springs on your lst/lst2 and you'll be set. They require almost Zero maintenance and will last for several gallons before they need to be replaced.
I will do that when i buy the shoes i will get the clutch bell also. thats what im lookin for.. something thats worth my money.. thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Where can you buy different mm springs or does the dynamite max life shoes come with different mm ones?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

You should be able to get them from your LHS.. If they dont have them they should be able to order them for you.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Well I just blew my engine so should I try the current springs with my new engine or just get 1.0mm springs and install them right away?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Well I just blew my engine so should I try the current springs with my new engine or just get 1.0mm springs and install them right away?
After reading your other thread, try the current set up first. Heavier springs means more revs before they engage. Lighter springs means less revs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service